semis frowned upon

08shooter

I'm not anti semi....but what I don't like is the way SOME semi users just swing the gun around, after firing the last shot on a stand, without physically checking that the gun is empty. I know all you semi users will say "but if you've only loaded two cartridges.....Blah" there is no excuse for not checking and I for one don't like looking down the barrel of a gun that could, just possibly (however unlikely), be loaded.

not to poor rain on your statement PO3 but you cant blame the gun for someones stupidity, guys like the ones your talking of are just as likely to point an o/u or sxs at you as well, leopards dont change their spots, i've probably seen as many, if not more, break gun users forget to open or pull the second shell after a clubhoused pair, they quite often walk out of a stand gun closed to the tune of many an insult thrown.

your absolutley correct in saying, there is no excuse for not checking your weapon (oops sorry wrong word) "gun" , im sure if we were all honest we have all broken one or more cardinal sins in shooting, im only glad to be able to tell of it.

Martin

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't be bothered to check but I didn't think you could take game with a 3 shot?

My cert says specifically for the destruction of vermin ie no duck etc.

:blink: D2D

From that we can assume that yours is not a 3shot but is on an FAC

I frown on you all, with your modern gizmos and easily reloaded 'un' sporting arms of what ever configuration!!

Get a grip you lazy lot!!

Mind you a round of skeet is a right pain!

Well done Caplock - This is the exact point i was making - things in life have to move on or there would be no progress in life and but for this,we would still be living in caves and chucking rocks at each other.

dont see the big deal really a gun is a gun wichever type both are dangerouse in the wrong hands. iu find most semi users are aware pf this and therefore are seemingly more carful to check at the end of each stand. also while were on the subjecty whether it breaks or not is irrelevant nearly all the guns on my syndcate will stand gun shut on stands and on awlking guns they will usuallly walk with gun loaded pointing upwards! makes no difference really, just snobbery.

I can't be bothered to check but I didn't think you could take game with a 3 shot?

My cert says specifically for the destruction of vermin ie no duck etc.

:unsure: D2D

From that we can assume that yours is not a 3shot but is on an FAC

Yes, I already owned it and a pump mossy when the Fac rules were tightened some years back,as I was keepering then I could justify them so they just included them on my existing cert, makes a fine pigeon hide gun and a real boon not to have to keep reloading so much when its freezing cold or standing in the back of a pickup. :good:

I am able to use them for clay shooting and its amusing to watch reactions when it becomes obvious I am not reloading!

:good: D2D

Bloke showed up at my local shoot with a 14shot semi, he did a pigeon flush by himself, quite something to watch that. He's into practical shotgun so he's also quite good at reloading fast. Heavy mind, with a tube that's got close to 1/2kg of carts in it :unsure:

guys i have to say i hate the negative publicity against semi autos.why should they be frowned upon? the biggest argument is always safety.maybe im dumb but a side by side or over and under has a trigger and a safety like my semis so why should there be a difference.i can understand them not being liked at clay shoots(in case shells hit another gun).i love my semis and prefer them to any other type but i do believe folks dislike of them to be unfair.gun safety is a priority and surely a wreckless person could be wreckless with an ou as a semi. a lot of people shoot them due to injuries etc.as i say i have been to dtl shoots and if a guy walks in he is stared at and made feel uncomfortable, i feel that all shooters should be treated equal and encouraged into the sport and if a semi is all they can afford well thenlet them at it.i know every time i go to the cabinet 9 times out of 10 i lift the semi.workhorse guns that if anything breaks i can replace the part myself. does anybody else get p***ed of with the negative attitude to semis?

I enjoyed reading your thread Vermin :good:

You should try turning up with a synthetic p/a for the full experience as I do every now and then.

When the trapper tells me I need to reload I say pull :oops: and mind your own business.

A safe gun is a safe gun no matter what he has in his hands :good:

I would like to add that I miss just as well with the p/a as I do with the o/u as many PW members will testify to :unsure:

LB

guys i have to say i hate the negative publicity against semi autos.why should they be frowned upon? the biggest argument is always safety.maybe im dumb but a side by side or over and under has a trigger and a safety like my semis so why should there be a difference.i can understand them not being liked at clay shoots(in case shells hit another gun).i love my semis and prefer them to any other type but i do believe folks dislike of them to be unfair.gun safety is a priority and surely a wreckless person could be wreckless with an ou as a semi. a lot of people shoot them due to injuries etc.as i say i have been to dtl shoots and if a guy walks in he is stared at and made feel uncomfortable, i feel that all shooters should be treated equal and encouraged into the sport and if a semi is all they can afford well thenlet them at it.i know every time i go to the cabinet 9 times out of 10 i lift the semi.workhorse guns that if anything breaks i can replace the part myself. does anybody else get p***ed of with the negative attitude to semis?

Stuff em all lad shoot what you want like I do.

semi's are the way to the future.

Stick to your guns and when the o/u buffs find they are gettin towelled they too might think about a semi.

well mayb'e not big george.

Bloke showed up at my local shoot with a 14shot semi, he did a pigeon flush by himself, quite something to watch that. He's into practical shotgun so he's also quite good at reloading fast. Heavy mind, with a tube that's got close to 1/2kg of carts in it :good:

chuffin hell pin 14 shot whats he got for a mag tube a drainpipe :unsure: :good:

I'm not anti semi....but what I don't like is the way SOME semi users just swing the gun around, after firing the last shot on a stand, without physically checking that the gun is empty. I know all you semi users will say "but if you've only loaded two cartridges.....Blah" there is no excuse for not checking and I for one don't like looking down the barrel of a gun that could, just possibly (however unlikely), be loaded.

anti, anti. :unsure: :good:

im still laughing at the first few replies to this topic about the word 'semi' being amusing, i thought it may just be me but didnt want to bring it up incase no one agreed, brilliant.

also my old man hates semiautos with a passion so i buy them just to wind him up, my last one was an all black synthetic steoger ha ha

Semi-autos have always been frowned upon; just read Richard Arnold's book 'Automatic and Repeating Shotguns' (1958)

Game shooting: Side by Side!

Clay Shooting: (serious) Over/Under

Pigeon Shooting and 'straw bale' clays: Semi Auto (Preferably a Winchester Model 50!)

Wildfowl grazing: Punt Gun on a pram, loaded down with bricks and stakes!