Can't hit the fast ones!

BigGun1

Hi!!

Saturday morning shooting pigeons I found I could hit the ones coming in high or towards me but the fast left to right were getting away every time, where am I going wrong??? Any tips would be gratefully recieved. As a bit of background I have been practising on clays and have a fairly good hit average, but whenn they have feathers I'm stuffed :lol:

Also the chap I shoot with says the comb on my stock is too high for my podgey face, could this be causing problems??

Thanks guys

hi big gun when shooting a crossing pigeon depending on how far it is away from you and how fast its travelling it may need up to 15 or 20 feet of lead get someont to watch were you put the wad is in relation to the bird just make sure your eye is level looking down the rib and straight down it to the bead hope this helps :lol:

You may not have enough lead in front of the bird,

Go and get yourself Sporting Shooter Aug and it as a spread on lead etc.for Clay, Pigeons and Pheasants.

Might sound rubbish but if I spread my index finger and thumb apart as wide as possible and then reduce the gap my one thrid...this is how much lead i am shooting in front of clays and pigeons and im hitting them.

With the pigeon you can actually see the bird try to slam on the brakes to avoid flying into the pattern..

Give it ago and see how you get on.

When out clay shooting the weekend i had a high dropping bird coming back down on an angle, i gave it the lead underneath of my index finger to thumb fully expanded and i killed them...

Sorry forgot to say this is at approx 40 yds out with the crossers

Might sound the Dogs...but it is working for me at present

Good Luck

Take you gun down to the nearest decent Clay Ground and get an opinion on the fitting.

Also have some practice on the crossing birds stands and get their opinion on whats going wrong.

If you are not happy with the gun fit, nothing will work well until you get that sorted out.

I used to struggle like mad with right to left crossers then found that mounting the gun late and pushing the gun forward of the bird did the trick ( as Tully says above ). Once you have killed a couple it will come as second nature, that said as Cranfeild says it may be down to gun fit. Let us know how you get on :lol:

Hi!!

Saturday morning shooting pigeons I found I could hit the ones coming in high or towards me but the fast left to right were getting away every time, where am I going wrong??? Any tips would be gratefully recieved. As a bit of background I have been practising on clays and have a fairly good hit average, but whenn they have feathers I'm stuffed :P

Also the chap I shoot with says the comb on my stock is too high for my podgey face, could this be causing problems??

Thanks guys

the ones coming to you are the easy one!!!!!!! :D:oops::yes::)

and a bad workman always blame his tools :yp:

most crossign shots are missed by shooting behind........and as my dear old grandad used to say..." GIV EM PLENTY OF LEED LAD"

Hi!!

Saturday morning shooting pigeons I found I could hit the ones coming in high or towards me but the fast left to right were getting away every time, where am I going wrong??? Any tips would be gratefully recieved. As a bit of background I have been practising on clays and have a fairly good hit average, but whenn they have feathers I'm stuffed :lol:

Thanks guys

the ones coming to you are the easy one!!!!!!! :oops::yes::) :yp:

and a bad workman always blame his tools :P

most crossign shots are missed by shooting behind........and as my dear old grandad used to say..." GIV EM PLENTY OF LEED LAD"

And my old Dad used to say "bum.. belly..beak..bang" and started with the bum bit as he swung through the tail feathers and said it steadily by the time he got to bang he was always out in front, and yes he could shoot very well.

:D D2D

Hi!!

Saturday morning shooting pigeons I found I could hit the ones coming in high or towards me but the fast left to right were getting away every time, where am I going wrong??? Any tips would be gratefully recieved. As a bit of background I have been practising on clays and have a fairly good hit average, but whenn they have feathers I'm stuffed :(

Thanks guys

the ones coming to you are the easy one!!!!!!! :):good:???:D

and a bad workman always blame his tools :blink:

And my old Dad used to say "bum.. belly..beak..bang" and started with the bum bit as he swung through the tail feathers and said it steadily by the time he got to bang he was always out in front, and yes he could shoot very well.

:) D2D

Thanks for all the advice! 3 other 'old hands' all say my gun fit is ok and I need to give more lead after seeing me shoot :o think I like the Bum Belly Beak Bang idea best! will try it on saturday and let you know how I get on :( Thanks again.

i allways seem to hit the fast crossers,and allways miss the easy slow birds,especially if they nearly landed,find i mis with first shot ,then hit them when their accelerating away :)

Im the same, but i hit them when they are just about to land, but when they are just so close and flying reasonably fast, i miss them and hit them when they are about 40-50 yards out :)

You probably are missing behind the target. Just make sure that you're not stopping the gun on the swing through, before you pull the trigger. This is a very very common fault.

If you can keep the gun swinging as you pull the trigger ahead of the target , you might get a pleasant surprise.

Might sound rubbish but if I spread my index finger and thumb apart as wide as possible and then reduce the gap my one thrid...this is how much lead i am shooting in front of clays and pigeons and im hitting them.

It's all relative to the speed of the bird/clay and the distance they are away from you. Plus what one person sees as 4 inches of lead, someone else would consider 4 feet of lead. You've just got to build up your own "picture" in your head which will come with time. Keep at the crossers on the clays (shoot some skeet - that'll get you pulling through nicely on the middle stands), but remember that often pigeons are accelerating so need more lead than clays which are always slowing down.

With the pigeon you can actually see the bird try to slam on the brakes to avoid flying into the pattern..

:):good::huh::P