What are your tips for someone strating out?

almonde

I used to do a little bit of casual shooting when i was a kid (am now 25) but haven't done any in years. I'm quite keen to take it up so i got my shotgun certificate and 'borrowed' one of my mum's guns ( beretta EELL 20g) it seemed to be the one that fitted the best, my dad's brownings felt a little too large.

So i'm keen to get stuck in and learn to shoot clays again, i'm in Hampshire and and looked around the net and found a couple of local clubs. Is the best thing to do turn up and stuck in at the practice stand?

I'm very novice in terms of shooting but having been around guns a lot etc from when i lived at home so my gun handling/safety is good, i won't embarrass myself or make others nervous in that respect.

Any advice or tips welcome, anyone in hants.?

At this time of day? I think that unlikely!

I'd say the best thing you can do is find a friend that knows about shooting (or make one at the club of your choice) that you know will give you honest feedback, then just turn up and shoot. You could always try a few lessons first and get initial bad habits out of the way first - Something I should have done!

Do they do lessons at your local grounds?

Welcome. As Wookie says - turn up, get yourself known and just start shooting. A few lessons to get the basics right before the bad habits kick in would be a huge advantage and will also boost your confidence. You say your parents both shoot - can they go with you and offer any sound advice?

Bandit in the making maybe :lol:

Thanks for the replies, a few lessons wouldn't be a bad idea. My parents live in Lincolnshire so its a bit far. I live in Southampton, although the M3 makes most places in hants. pretty accessible.

I was thinking i might pop along to this club and see what its like:

http://www.farehamctc.org.uk/default.htm

Seem affiliated with CPSA etc, so wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Casual shooting eh?

Lemon farrahs, Gallini sleveless tshirt and a Leo Gemelli jumper?

Ignore me, someone with a sensible answer will be along shortly.

Mungler a casual :):oops::huh: and I suppose you was a member of the icf too :)

LB

Very concerned now LB, you know what a "Casual" is :o I don't believe Mungler would have made it into the "under 5's" let alone the ICF. Closest he's possibly got to it is watching Green Street.

It sounds to me like you may have had your moments in days gone by. I remember in my not so dim and distant past many a run in with ICF, Zulu's when 18-19 at Portman Road. Silly things we do when we're young and impressionable. Quickly realised that it was stupid, and stopped going altogether.

SS :drinks:

I used to do a little bit of casual shooting when i was a kid (am now 25) but haven't done any in years. I'm quite keen to take it up so i got my shotgun certificate and 'borrowed' one of my mum's guns ( beretta EELL 20g) it seemed to be the one that fitted the best, my dad's brownings felt a little too large.

So i'm keen to get stuck in and learn to shoot clays again, i'm in Hampshire and and looked around the net and found a couple of local clubs. Is the best thing to do turn up and stuck in at the practice stand?

I'm very novice in terms of shooting but having been around guns a lot etc from when i lived at home so my gun handling/safety is good, i won't embarrass myself or make others nervous in that respect.

Any advice or tips welcome, anyone in hants.?

Hi - I am in Chandlers Ford. My son and I have just started shooting recently. In terms of lessons, Lains Shooting School is good value (near Thruxton Racing Circuit, just off the A303) and you can also just turn-up, buy cartridges and practice on the clays.

I'm trying to find some pigeon shooting locally, if I have any success I'll let you know.

1) Book a lesson and have someone check the gun fits you, or none of the rest is worth bothering with until it does (or you find another)

2) Get stuck in, make some friends at a clay ground (you will be surprised how friendly and approachable shooters are).

It really is as simple as that. When you are starting out you really should have the basics shown you by someone who is competent to do so, being a good shot does not a good instructor make.

Once you have a gun which fits, a rough stance and have been shown the basics, its practice practice practice. Occasional lessons to check you have not gone backwards will help.

I did none of this, I was shown by people who meant well but were not instructors. I then went and bought a gun because I liked it rather than knowing anything much about how it fit me. I was very very lucky though, the gun is a perfect fit and since then I have had the good fortune to shoot with some very capable shots who have helped me out. I am still to have a lesson or actually confirm the gun really does fit me, but I am doing ok.

I would suggest people who do what I did make up 90% of those who quit in frustration every year :)

Excellent advice from Pin, if you're serious about improving your shooting then lessons from a good coach are a must.

Just see how well Pin has improved over the last few months, I well remember those 50 yard woodies he was killing time after time over the deeks last week..!!

Cat.