Eating and drinking stuff

Dunkield

Whilst out walking the dog we (me and mrs stuartp, not the dog) noticed a huge amount of unpicked blackberries which is fairly unusual round our way. The blue rinse WI brigade get everything as it ripens if it is anywhere near a footpath, so as these were a good mile walk from any cark park that may have explained their survival.

We went back the next day and picked what turned out to be just under 7 kilo's of berries :D

I know that is a lot of blackberries but it seemed rude to leave them there as they were about to go over as it was.

Obvioulsy this weird weather is agreeing with the blackberries and the sloes.

Here is what some of the bigger blackberries looked like:

DSC00072Small.jpg

And this is what it all boiled down to, quite a bit of jam by any ones reckoning, needless to say anyone getting a vist from us soon will get a pot, whether they want it or not ;)

HPIM2118Small.jpg

Just to show how advanced the sloes are near us, here is what they look like already.

DSC00079Small.jpg

Obviously they are not ready to pick just yet, but they seem a bit advanced for this time of year?

Is it the same all round the country?

Have you noticed the Acorns have developed early the Oaks are smothered in them in our fields already, still small but very early, the old timers used to reckon that it was the sign of a hard winter to come but these days who knows for sure whats in store.

One thing you can count on though is that if they crop earlier and are gone it will affect the pigeon shooting later when they traditionally should be feeding on the acorns.

;) D2D

:whistling: i all usely make bananna cake but no black ones in bowl yet they are better for taste so i went and picked 8lb of blacberries when tuck dog for walk down canal so made cake with them it;s looking a bit dark at the moment in the oven but the mix tasted like ribena might try to make wine with whats left anybody no how

None of the blackberries round my way our ready yet, they're still hard little green marbles infact we still have some blossom on the bushes round here. The sloes aren't anywhere near the size of your piccies.

Regarding the acorns, we do seem to have a lot out already and I went past a Horse Chestnut today with its leaves going all crinkly and brown and the chestnuts themselves taking ona brownish tinge already. Seems like autumn has come early.

SS :)

tMy friend's Mum has a tree in her garden. The fruit's no plums and not sloes, but somewhere in between. Whatever, last year's crop made a splendid slum gin.

This year, the tree's bulging with ripe fruit now. We took about 12 litres off on Saturday - more than enough for the gin and a few crumbles - and there's still most of the fruit on the tree!

Last year they weren't ripe until a good few weeks from now.

Have you noticed the Acorns have developed early the Oaks are smothered in them in our fields already, still small but very early, the old timers used to reckon that it was the sign of a hard winter to come but these days who knows for sure whats in store.

:) D2D

I looked right twit earlier this year when I quoted the old saying " if the Ash is out before the Oak we shall surely have a soak, if the Oak is out before the Ash we shall only have a splash"

Well around here the Oak was well ahead of the Ash ...... !!!!!!!!!!! :huh::):drinks::oops:

The sloes round here are very blue/black already and I swear some of the branches are going to snap off as they are so heavily loaded down with fruit!

FM :oops:

sloe gin!sloe gin!sloe gin!sloe gin!sloe gin!

:drinks: I thought about it last year... never really got around to it. However I have nothing better to do so I best get the parents to get some gin in. :) Apparently I'm not allowed to 'waste' the Gordon's in the larder. :)

FM :huh:

The sloes round here are very blue/black already and I swear some of the branches are going to snap off as they are so heavily loaded down with fruit!

FM :oops:

sloe gin!sloe gin!sloe gin!sloe gin!sloe gin!

:drinks: I thought about it last year... never really got around to it. However I have nothing better to do so I best get the parents to get some gin in. :) Apparently I'm not allowed to 'waste' the Gordon's in the larder. :)

FM :huh:

I have to make sloe gin this year, i have seen more sloes than blackberries!

Never mind that lot have you checked out the Damsons?

Yup :)

And that is after the first batch of jam has been made!

Time to get the stones out and get some in the freezer me thinks...

HPIM2123Medium.jpg

That's quite a haul SP.

I received a bottle of Damson wine a few years ago and it was good gear.

Might have to get the demijohn's out of the attic :drinks:

LB

That's quite a haul SP.

I received a bottle of Damson wine a few years ago and it was good gear.

Might have to get the demijohn's out of the attic :)

LB

Yes mate, that is about 2/3 of the total that we had, and that was only 1/3 of the whole lot (there were 2 other pickers)

I am ashamed to say 'we' were supposed to helping on Sunday but got side tracked testing cider instead :drinks:

The guy who makes the cider is almost a professional BTW he makes 58 gallons a year, and he highly rates Damson Vodka :oops:

[ I am now convinced we have the best wives in the world, they came back from picking soaked while we were dry and warm and off our heads, and then we had the brass neck to inform them were had just hatched a plan to go to Florida fishing later in the year (without them obviously) :) ]