Blaser F3...cartridge chambers - lack off

Cosmicblue

Was diligently cleaning my recently acquired F3 Vantage yesterday and noticed that the barrels don't appear to have the conventional machined chambers for the cartridges with a visible lip at the start of the bore as say my Perazzi has - it's completely smooth.

Are all  F3s like this?

Sure -  the Blaser barrels are smooth from breech to muzzle, the Perazzi has machined chambers with a physical lip at the start of the bore.  The chambers are therefore deep enough for the cartridge crimp to fully open when the gun is fired.   Interesting!

Many thanks. I have to confess that I'm absolutely amazed. I have been shooting for over 65 years and in all of that time whereas I have come across some pretty rough forcing cones on occasion I have yet to encounter any form of lip. I can only imagine that firing any cartridge shorter than the nominal chamber spec' could be interesting - surely there would have to be some seriously distorted pellets as a result. Recoil too could be fun I would guess.

Most welcome. 

Recoil isn't great - prefer 24grm shells in the Perazzi, I find the Blaser smoother, kinder to the shoulder to shoot.  The Perazzi 'feels' perfect from a balance/pointability perspective it's almost as though it's alive and keen to get on with the job - curiously though I'm currently shooting better/more consistently with the Blaser, lack of recoil is probably a factor here. 

Sat down here in Devon I'm not going to be silly enough to say that you're wrong - just that after 65+ years I'll be really, really amazed if you're right. The Perazzi chambers will probably be 3" (76mm) at most so you don't need anything too fancy, but have you had a prod yet - a pointy bit of stick or plastic knitting needle - anything really -  even some light down at the muzzle can do the trick. Internal calipres are good as you can feel the cone work and with a lip you'd obviously come to a grinding halt 3" (or whatever) in.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Sat down here in Devon I'm not going to be silly enough to say that you're wrong - just that after 65+ years I'll be really, really amazed if you're right. The Perazzi chambers will probably be 3" (76mm) at most so you don't need anything too fancy, but have you had a prod yet - a pointy bit of stick or plastic knitting needle - anything really -  even some light down at the muzzle can do the trick. Internal calipres are good as you can feel the cone work and with a lip you'd obviously come to a grinding halt 3" (or whatever) in.

Ahhh beautiful Devon, half my tribe come from there.

Mystery solved....it is a beautifully machined optical illusion, there is no physical lip to find with a steel tape measure so as Figgy described above the forcing cones are short and appear as visible edges when in fact there are none.   Thanks for the education and apologies for wasting keyboard time..

There has - over the last 150 years of so - been a whole range of different forcing cones, from short to long and back again - many times!  All claim to give better patterns, hit harder, less recoil etc. than their predecessor.   Gunmaker's have prospered from the latest forcing cone fashion.

Don't worry about it and enjoy shooting it.

1 hour ago, Cosmicblue said:

Ahhh beautiful Devon, half my tribe come from there.

Mystery solved....it is a beautifully machined optical illusion, there is no physical lip to find with a steel tape measure so as Figgy described above the forcing cones are short and appear as visible edges when in fact there are none.   Thanks for the education and apologies for wasting keyboard time..

Well done for checking. If you think about it now that you know, just as you're building up to peak pressure you partially close the gate and it's going to kick like a mule and make a right mess of the load - almost like firing a 3" cartridge in a 2&3/4"  chamber. Now just enjoy.