Redundancies- is the new way better?

AVB

12 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I think it's a better system for the employees, these days, sector dependent at least they have a chance at sorting other employment out, particularly in lower paid sectors. 

It's obviously worse for a lot of employers as they tend to lose good staff they have no intention of getting rid of who jump incase they're pushed. 

Not a nice business regardless of which side your on. I don't envey your job much. 

Good post. 

14 hours ago, armsid said:

i was made redundant from JAGUAR in the 90,s last in first out basis and i had 22 yrs  in maintenance .The plant closed 2 yrs later after many promises that it was safe. the main problem now is we do not make anything, but import and companies were not taking on apprentices as they could recruit from europe ready trained so lots of jobs are minimum wage ,call centres can be located anywhere on the planet so finding good jobs at this time that will pay mortgages will be hard to find and the bosses know this

My only experience of British manufacturing, all the lads joined the union and tried to get as much as they could whilst giving very little back. 

They all intentionally didn’t finish jobs and work loads because they got time + 1/2 on Saturdays and double time on a Sunday. 

Comr Saturday or Sunday when they confirmed the overtime was needed they already had a rota of who was coming in... almost like they know it would happen ... every single week... 

They were on very good money, lads on £40-60k in South Wales, young lads who’d get the job from a relative or someone they know hooking them up... you’d see them, more money than they knew what to do with. 

Every year they threatened to strike if they didn’t get the pay rises they wanted, by the time the union would sort it out, it would be time for the next pay rise argument. 

This was a big car manufacturer ... it’s now Closed down and moved abroad (shocker!) ... some of those lads were offered redeployment in their partner factory in London, where £40k a year won’t get you a bedsit and your hundred+ miles Away from friends and family ... 

Now they Don’t have jobs... 

I honestly think in many ways this is a fantastic country to live in, it’s important to have good workers rights, but sorting out the shirkers from the workers has fallen to the side... and you end up with hard workers leaving jobs because they are carrying other people who are happy to sit back and idle. 

17 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

I think it's a better system for the employees, these days, sector dependent at least they have a chance at sorting other employment out, particularly in lower paid sectors. 

It's obviously worse for a lot of employers as they tend to lose good staff they have no intention of getting rid of who jump incase they're pushed. 

Not a nice business regardless of which side your on. I don't envey your job much. 

I don’t see why it is better for employees. Don’t forget that even if people are told on the spot they get paid their notice period so it covers them for time searching for a new job. 

If you knew how much I can charge for doing this you might change your view on envying me 😅 

7 minutes ago, AVB said:

I don’t see why it is better for employees. Don’t forget that even if people are told on the spot they get paid their notice period so it covers them for time searching for a new job. 

If you knew how much I can charge for doing this you might change your view on envying me 😅 

It's just a more structured approach that gives people who are made redundant a chance to sort themselves out. 

I still don't envy you, all the tea in China doesn't make it a nice job or I should imagine give much job satisfaction, so good luck 👍

1 minute ago, 12gauge82 said:

It's just a more structured approach that gives people who are made redundant a chance to sort themselves out. 

I still don't envy you, all the tea in China doesn't make it a nice job or I should imagine give much job satisfaction, so good luck 👍

Yes not a lot of job satisfaction. It does involve a degree of business restructuring and realignment of their operating model which is more my forte. The redundancies are a bye product of it. 

3 minutes ago, AVB said:

Yes not a lot of job satisfaction. It does involve a degree of business restructuring and realignment of their operating model which is more my forte. The redundancies are a bye product of it. 

The way i always reconciled myself to making structural changes and redundancies was that they were necessary changes in order to keep the business going, yes it is undoubtably rubbish and hugely stressful to be told that someone is taking your job away and there is no good way of doing that, but by making those changes you can keep the majority of people in a role and make sure that mortgages are paid.

If you do nothing then you risk losing everything. It's the old adage that a smaller amount of something is better than 100% of nothing.

There are of course plenty examples in the world where redundancies have been pushed through for much more cynical reasons, but in the main i have found it is something that companies approach with reluctance and responsibility.

Bit different for me , my works looking for 60/70 people to take voluntary redundancy i want it i  am 59  but its not on offer to my department . But not enough folk have applied so they are now looking at compulsory redundancies. I am going to apply hopefully get a years wages only pay tax on £2000  treat it like a wage for a year till my MOD pension kicks in a 60 and get a 24 year pension from work now as well  should last me if i am careful   till my pensions kick in as we get the grandson 3 days a week to let my son and wife work it would still let me and the wife get 4 days a week to our selfs while we are young enough to enjoy it 

7 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

My only experience of British manufacturing, all the lads joined the union and tried to get as much as they could whilst giving very little back. 

They all intentionally didn’t finish jobs and work loads because they got time + 1/2 on Saturdays and double time on a Sunday. 

Comr Saturday or Sunday when they confirmed the overtime was needed they already had a rota of who was coming in... almost like they know it would happen ... every single week... 

They were on very good money, lads on £40-60k in South Wales, young lads who’d get the job from a relative or someone they know hooking them up... you’d see them, more money than they knew what to do with. 

Every year they threatened to strike if they didn’t get the pay rises they wanted, by the time the union would sort it out, it would be time for the next pay rise argument. 

This was a big car manufacturer ... it’s now Closed down and moved abroad (shocker!) ... some of those lads were offered redeployment in their partner factory in London, where £40k a year won’t get you a bedsit and your hundred+ miles Away from friends and family ... 

Now they Don’t have jobs... 

I honestly think in many ways this is a fantastic country to live in, it’s important to have good workers rights, but sorting out the shirkers from the workers has fallen to the side... and you end up with hard workers leaving jobs because they are carrying other people who are happy to sit back and idle. 

Mirrors my experiences exactly.