Does the UK still have military personnel in Germany?

fern01

• 2 weeks later...

Funny topic this one, was stationed over there in the early 70s, we had 50,000 British servicemen, woman there then, anyhow a couple of years ago I googled why had we withdrawn, thinking the Germans wanted us to go, no that was not the case, It was to save a couple of quid, so forward to were we are now, The Russians have seized the Crimea, some of the Ukraine, oh **** they said, we could have supported Latvia, Estonia etc just by shipping are armour out of Germany,

what did we do ship from the UK , the bright spark who thought of saving a couple of quid, has not been named, or shamed.

4 hours ago, P08 said:

Funny topic this one, was stationed over there in the early 70s, we had 50,000 British servicemen, woman there then, anyhow a couple of years ago I googled why had we withdrawn, thinking the Germans wanted us to go, no that was not the case, It was to save a couple of quid, so forward to were we are now, The Russians have seized the Crimea, some of the Ukraine, oh **** they said, we could have supported Latvia, Estonia etc just by shipping are armour out of Germany,

what did we do ship from the UK , the bright spark who thought of saving a couple of quid, has not been named, or shamed.

If we wanted to attack the Russians for invading Ukraine why couldn’t we have done that from the U.K. ? 

We wouldn’t have done anything even if we had 100,000 troops sat in Germany. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

If we wanted to attack the Russians for invading Ukraine why couldn’t we have done that from the U.K. ? 

We wouldn’t have done anything even if we had 100,000 troops sat in Germany. 

This is I feel about America.  Let the world deal with their own problems and if needs be we have the resources to move a huge invasion force across the ocean.  I don’t agree with foreign bases. 

3 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

This is I feel about America.  Let the world deal with their own problems and if needs be we have the resources to move a huge invasion force across the ocean.  I don’t agree with foreign bases. 

The Americans ability to hit back at any country in the world at almost a moments notice is a big deterrent. 

Similar to the UK trident defence submarines. 

Thing is it’s not much of a deterrent if your not willing to use it! 

11 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

The Americans ability to hit back at any country in the world at almost a moments notice is a big deterrent. 

Similar to the UK trident defence submarines. 

Thing is it’s not much of a deterrent if your not willing to use it! 

Think about the cost of running bases around the world.  USA for example could use that money to build more planes (not saying I want to spend my tax money on more planes).  But a larger military at home would be more of a deterrent then small bases scattered across the globe.  The UK would be better served with a Ford class carrier and a carrier based air wing then multiple bases around the world.  

4 hours ago, P08 said:

Pure logistics, ship tanks from Germany, or the UK, clearly the US has the firepower and cash, but one day soon, and it may come if Trump is re elected , you Europians in the main, are not paying your way, Hmm

Why should America and the UK protect Germany if the German tax payer doesn’t want to pay for their own military.