CamoFlauge

Which would you have, if you shoot in woods and in the open field hiding in hedge rows?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you have, if you shoot in woods and in the open field hiding in hedge rows?

• Advantage Timber
    • Real Hard Wood Green
    • Any others please tell me in a post

Guest Mr Pieman

I shoot in green moleskin trousers, checked shirt and either a Barbour Waistcoat or jacket - depends on how cold it is! :thumbs: I also wear a checked cap too.

I probably shoot as many pigeons as the next bloke but refuse to spend ££££s on things I don't need if I build a good hide and don't leap around all the time :lol::lol:

PP

Mag

I also agonised over this, but a solution is to hand.

Last year I purchased from an advertiser in shooting times, I think that the companys name is outdoor clothing co. and I also think that they are based in shropshire, its a half page horizontal advert.

I bought a Deerhunter coat, waterproof, beathable, and double sided, Realtree on one side, green on the other. It cost about £100, I think that its great. Ive since bought the trousers to match, but theyre not double sided.

If you need more info pm me.

webber

Mr Pie Man..

I am from the same school as yourself.. I believe it is the hide that is important. I have seen countless pigeon shooting videos, and the shooters are not wearing cammo..

I know it makes people feel invisible, but does it actually work.

I dont believe it has affected the number of pigeons shot.

Does it honeslty make a difference >

I think it does indeed Mike, Particularly if you do not pay too much attention to your hide building. As many of us dont..

I have been experimenting recently with no hide just full DPM and stealth and the results have been quite interesting.

That said I did spend 30 odd quid on new realtree hide screen a couple of months ago and spent a good hour setting it up against a hedge on the boundary of a 40 acre wheat field. I thought it looked pretty good but about two hours into the shoot my mate turned up on his quad and said.. " I thought that was you mike I saw your hide from the bottom of the drive"

Now as he has eyesight like a gopher and glasses with milk bottle bottoms for lenses that makes him look a bit like the guy off of the Abbey National ads, and the bottom of the drive is at least 11/2 miles away I was pretty perplexed.

If he could see me The pigeons were probably all sitting up laughing.. :thumbs:

ah fair enough sharp..

forgot to mension.. my current clothing cost me £25 Jacket and Trousers. in DPM(british army) camo :thumbs:

got it at http://www.dais-army-surplus.co.uk - this is my local Army Surplus store and its next to my local gunsmith.

x1 £10 for DPM Trousers - good size pockets

x2 £10 for G.I. Jumper - very nice.. so bought 2 :lol: very warm. made of thick wool

x1 £15 for DPM Jacket - good size pockets

Aled

When I am confident of my hide, I wear drab dark/brown/green clothing.

If I am feeling a bit exposed, I slip my mesh ghillie suit on.

Although I don,t wear them much, I still have a selection of ex Army Cammo waterproof jackets and trousers.

I will not pay mega money, for great big "Real Advantage" Cammo Coats, that you can hardly walk in, let alone swing a gun properly. :thumbs:

I am also looking into buying a new camo hide.

The one i have at the moment is an old ex-army net, very tough as it is held together by metal rings but it is too heavy now with all the extra tackle i seem to have to carry nowadays.

I have seen a realtree net and found it to be too thin and flimsy, in the wind they blow around and defenatley put pigeons off, also they tear very easy on the hawthorn hedges.

I want a new net where it is very dense so the pigeons have less chance of seeing me.

Levi Stone Wash Blue Jeans, Barbour Border Wax Cotton Jacket, Dark Blue Addidas Base Ball Cap, 10Ft x 7Ft Army Woodlands Lightweight Net. Shot Over a hundred birds in a day twice this season on my own. Works For Me. If you going to buy camouflarge, British Army DPM because its the cheapest.

Well I went decoying last Bank Holiday Monday - first time I'd used all the acquired kit from net, poles, decoys etc etc

I took my Deben "storm" parka (£125 in Adv Tim)) but was too hot to wear it having reached the spot where I wanted to set up - underneath I wore a British Army "norwegian smock" - olive top, blue trousers but a realtree facemask/headnet and fingerless "two tone" olive neoprene gloves.

All this behind a tank cammo net suspended on those green plastic-coated aluminium gardening stakes.

I took 15 birds but could have doubled that if my shooting hadn't been so poor.

I think it was the lack of flesh tone which gave the birds confidence - that and not moving until the birds had committed (although CP I'm sure will say that I was moving too soon).

The main bit of kit was the facemask - comfy and really quite effective.

I totaly agree with JONO, if you are sat behind a good camo net that blends in with the hedge etc and you have a solid background so as not to show your silhouette then the only thing thats vital is to use a face veil. I never shoot without mine, worth every penny, the same goes for my deer stalking, i never go without one.

There are two trains of thought here which are both really the same.

1. Conceal yerself via camo net/hide

or

2. Hide yerself via camo clothing

Both are effective as I know with my own experience but the common factors which are the most important are NO MOVEMENT and keep yer FACE COVERED.

I prefer to use both camo clothing and hide. Camo coats or any type of coat are usless in the summer because of the heat so long sleeve camo T-shirts/lightweight facemasks in whatever pattern are a must.

Camo clothing and the various patterns are more effective when wildfowling/stalking etc.

but how many of you where a peaked hat.

I find on occasions that when i use a peaked cap i miss the overhead pigeons.

Very Very True Mal...

I brought this very point up a few weeks back on the forum. It cuts down your overhead field of view by at least 20% and this lost sector seems to correspond with the angle and altitude that many pigeons approach the deeks.

I always used to wear one but not any more.

FM

You cant beat the old Hardwoods (I think its called xtra brown or 20-200 or something) for all of our countryside and if your going to get 1 pattern for general purpose this is the one, good for winter, summer, stubble, trees, hedges the lot, never failed me.

A deerstalker gave me that tip and true to his word its done me proud. Although he hastened to add that movement is the number one factor no matter what your wearing or what quarry you are after, and again Ive discovered that hes right. ;)