Decoying on still days

Human Decoy

Remember that if it`s still early on and will be warming/sunny later then you will get a breeze and that will move things on. Being too close to roost sites etc. will be counterproductive on still days as gunshots will alert the local woodpigeon that you are about. I tend to put 2 clumps of deeks in front of the hide, but only if the wind is from infront/behind as opposed to side on, when I tend to use the usual horseshoe/comma shape.

Best of luck!

Anyone got any ideas on decoying on really still days? When there is no wind, I generally clump my decoys together, sometimes this works great and others nothing at all! Any Ideas would be good.

:D

Reconnaisance is vital here. If the birds aren't feeding ,then no matter how many gadgets you have , you won't entice them. They don't burn as much energy, shot sounds carry a long way, if it's also hot, then you've no chance.

But having said that,( as I've just put on another post) my biggest ever day of 168 woodpidgeon was on a red hot windless day. The birds just wanted to feed on that particular field . Watched them for about half an hour before setting up. Gas gun in the field didn't deter them,probably just helped me.

If they're feeding , then great, if not , it is really difficult.

But it's still better than staying in at home isn't it.

To sum up this issue of what the ideal conditions are my own view is simply this :

there are'nt any ideal conditions and if you try and apply logic to pigeon movements, just when you think you have them sussed - bingo - the damned birds have decoyed you and are feeding elsewhere.

Pigeons don't come to order, ask any reliable guide!!!!

i agree with the above, to an extent, and that is why pigeon shooting is so intresting because everything is always different and you have to learn to adapt and in what ways.

lets face it if pigeon shooting was that easy it would get a bit boring, as you wouldn't have to do anything special.

i would much rather work for a nice bag and learn about the quarry, that way when i get a good result i know that it is my good fieldcraft that has got me there and i can be proud of it.

and as for shooting on still days, i think it depends on what the pigeons are doing at the time and in your area. its all about reconnacence (spelling is bad i no)

charlie

i agree with the above, to an extent, and that is why pigeon shooting is so intresting because everything is always different and you have to learn to adapt and in what ways.

lets face it if pigeon shooting was that easy it would get a bit boring, as you wouldn't have to do anything special.

i would much rather work for a nice bag and learn about the quarry, that way when i get a good result i know that it is my good fieldcraft that has got me there and i can be proud of it.

and as for shooting on still days, i think it depends on what the pigeons are doing at the time and in your area. its all about reconnacence (spelling is bad i no)

charlie

Yes that's it Charlie, exactly whot I was trying to say :good:

Cheers, C.B.

charlie

Yes that's it Charlie, exactly whot I was trying to say :good:

Cheers, C.B.

Exactly ! You've both hit the nail on the head

I use the following personal experience to decide if I will go out on a still day.

Number of decent bags attained on still days: 0

Number of decent bags attained whilst not still: all of them

Simple for me, I might be missing a trick, but whilst I like being out in the countryside I don't have time to sit in a hedge when my experience tells me I am wasting my time.

I use the following personal experience to decide if I will go out on a still day.

Number of decent bags attained on still days: 0

Number of decent bags attained whilst not still: all of them

Simple for me, I might be missing a trick, but whilst I like being out in the countryside I don't have time to sit in a hedge when my experience tells me I am wasting my time.

That's Ok but on your only 'day off' you have to try and make the best of it.

If you have unlimited days off or are retired unemployed or why of course you can pick and choose when you turn out to decoy.

BUT try explaining to the farmer that you had to leave the birds feeding on his crop all last week because there was no wind. :lol:

myself and andy followed pigeons around for 2 days trying to decoy them with all manner of patterns,rotary,flappers but only for the pigeons to stick the finger up to us!!.

we had a flock of around 1000 flying around on satuarday and again on sunday... both days were still and sunny but we still tried to no avail......

i was off on monday so i decided that i would go back for more punishment!!! and to try some more things out.....

i bought another 40+ decoys second hand so i decided to get a big pattern going...

after trying a horseshoe type pattern but it never drew a thing in!.

i then decided that i would bunch every decoy i owned togerther into a big flock with a 10ft x 10ft gap in the centre with dead bird flappers on the far right and far left with a rotay with air pros 40 yards out to draw them in.!!! and a fake bird flapper near the back of the flock!

i then decided that i would go back to the jeep for some liquid refreshment and BANG the whole flock flew right into the pattern!!!(i feel stupid face!).

they then flew off as i sneaked my way back down!!.

i had them flying into the pattern all afternoon with only a very slight breeze and it was roasting.

i shot 47 for 3 hours which is very good for the conditions!!!.

i will definatly do that again.

p.s i did take a video on my phone camera but it i could not get it off the phone due to its length...........

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Anyone got any ideas on decoying on really still days? When there is no wind, I generally clump my decoys together, sometimes this works great and others nothing at all! Any Ideas would be good.

:good:

Reconnaisance is vital here. If the birds aren't feeding ,then no matter how many gadgets you have , you won't entice them. They don't burn as much energy, shot sounds carry a long way, if it's also hot, then you've no chance.

But having said that,( as I've just put on another post) my biggest ever day of 168 woodpidgeon was on a red hot windless day. The birds just wanted to feed on that particular field . Watched them for about half an hour before setting up. Gas gun in the field didn't deter them,probably just helped me.

What a contradiction! You say you've no chance when it's hot, then say you had your best ever bag on a red hot day!! You quite rightly mentioned though, the importance of birds feeding In a certain place. I firmly believe if they are well into a field, they will decoy in almost any weather, wind or no wind.

:blink:

What a contradiction! You say you've no chance when it's hot, then say you had your best ever bag on a red hot day!! You quite rightly mentioned though, the importance of birds feeding In a certain place. I firmly believe if they are well into a field, they will decoy in almost any weather, wind or no wind.

They got to feed some where that day, and if its your field / corp an you are there then its a big bag day , other wise its "you should have been here yesterday / better tomorrow "

Trev

• 3 weeks later...