A GOOD BUY TODAY

DUNKS

31 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Bought a shed load of early 1960s monthly GUNS REVIEW magazines today. So much interesting info on older guns. The prices are incredible. For instance an AYA  No 3 for £43-10 shillings. A BSA single barrel Snipe for only £15-17-6 Going to keep me quiet for a while.

The adverts for guns really made your mouth water when you glance in the old shooting mags from that era , my first gun was bought from Darlows in Norwich , it a Webley and Scott single 12 bore that cost £17.00 , this was saved up after working all the Summer in a chicken on the spit shop down near the seafront , this would have been about 1960 as I left school in the winter of 1962 , cartridges were 12/6 a box , this was saved up from what should have been my dinner money from school , happy days indeed .

49 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Bought a shed load of early 1960s monthly GUNS REVIEW magazines today. So much interesting info on older guns. The prices are incredible. For instance an AYA  No 3 for £43-10 shillings. A BSA single barrel Snipe for only £15-17-6 Going to keep me quiet for a while.

A today that Snipe won't even make £10 at auction. The other effect of the Labour Government of harold Wilson introducing the Shotgun Certificate. That and the inexorable decline of the ability to take a stroll...with his or her permission...on a farmer;s land to shoot "one for the pot". Nowadays pigeon shooting nothwithstanding the General Licence seems to be all about the money to be made from it.

I had every copy of Guns Review , bar 2 from June 1968 till sometime in the early 90's 's when I felt that it was no longer relevant  or giving anything new  . I tried several time to sell them .One dealer offered £20.00 if I sent them which would have cost way over that to do so . Sorry to say they went to the tip .

Do I regret it doing so ? Only when I read something like this and think OK some one might want  them now  ,but then think of the space they took up and what I would have done with them in the last 30 years .

14 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Yeah Dunks, them prices do look incredible compared to todays. However, when you consider that in the early 1960's the average weekly wage for a manual worker was only £14, that means that the AYA you mention would have cost the average "Joe" nearly a month's wages.

Just now, Tonka54 said:

Yeah Dunks, them prices do look incredible compared to todays. However, when you consider that in the early 1960's the average weekly wage for a manual worker was only £14, that means that the AYA you mention would have cost the average "Joe" nearly a month's wages.

When the price for the AYA No.3 (then their cheapest double) reached something like the mid fifty pounds region they introduced the yeoman as more affordable for “ “Joe”. The yeoman was introduced, from memory, at £47-10s.

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

I had every copy of Guns Review , bar 2 from June 1968 till sometime in the early 90's 's when I felt that it was no longer relevant  or giving anything new  . I tried several time to sell them .One dealer offered £20.00 if I sent them which would have cost way over that to do so . Sorry to say they went to the tip .

Do I regret it doing so ? Only when I read something like this and think OK some one might want  them now  ,but then think of the space they took up and what I would have done with them in the last 30 years .

Yep should have kept them but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was pleased to pay 50p a copy for mine. Not sure i would want all yours though!:good: