Re cutting Choke threads

Spr1985

Good evening everyone, I’d like to pick the pigeon watch collective brain, is it possible to have the thread of a choke re cut? And is it safe to do so?

I bought a choke (used) for wildfowling some time ago and the wife “filed” it in a drawer! On finding it I went to put it in the semi auto only to find it wouldn’t screw in 😞. I inspected the threads  and noticed some deformation but really had to look for it, unfortunately it’s  way beyond the time scale to get a refund so I’m now clutching at straws. Hoping someone can give a definitive answer based on experience.  Thanks in advance 👍🏻

21 minutes ago, Cawdor118 said:

Am I correct in saying its the choke thread that's damaged rather than the gun thread? If so, yes it can be restored with a thread file and a little patience. Just go slow and with not to much pressure. 

https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/cutting-tools/thread-restoring-files/thread-restoring-files/f/61

Yes it’s the thread on the choke, the gun threads are perfect, I’ve tried three different choke brands in the gun to make sure (I did this before inspecting the thread on the choke) I also tried the choke in my 692 clay gun as it also takes the optima hp choke pattern and it wouldn’t screw into that either. It was at that point that I inspected the thread in greater detail. Thanks for the link I shall check it out 👍🏻

Personally I wouldn't do it. Too much potential risk of liability if (now of course it never ever will...it is hoped) if the think flies off down range with a wad carrying it thus and it strikes and injures or kills someone. As the very first thing that'll be raised is that your chasing, re-cutting, filing or whatever, the threads made it do so. I'd bin it. 

Edited by enfieldspares

Best recommendation is to throw it away .

I doubt that you will get a tread file suitable and unless you can find someone with a die of the correct thread  then you risk further damage to the choke as well as to the threads in the barrel .Unfortunately I've seen quite a few barrels with the internal treads damaged for people attempting to either adapt chokes or to " repair " threads .

II would suggest taking advise from a professional 

3 hours ago, Gunman said:

Best recommendation is to throw it away .

I doubt that you will get a tread file suitable and unless you can find someone with a die of the correct thread  then you risk further damage to the choke as well as to the threads in the barrel .Unfortunately I've seen quite a few barrels with the internal treads damaged for people attempting to either adapt chokes or to " repair " threads .

II would suggest taking advise from a professional 

Indeed, get the threads on the gun checked with a known good choke, if there is no damage throw the suspect one away and buy a new one.

Thanks for all the advice. 

@TIGHTCHOKE it’s had beretta own brand, briley, Teague and muller chokes in and out of it all with no issues at all, no damage to any of the chokes and all screw in smoothly and seat down correctly. 

when I tried the damaged choke (not realising it was damaged) I stopped the second it felt odd. 

58 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Are you sure it’s the correct choke in the first place? Not a different models thread? 

It was sold to me as a beretta optima hp choke and the threads look the same as the other optima hp chokes I have. so I can only assume it is the correct thread pattern.