My new apprentice

Spr1985

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Another little update :-  I had a list of things to work on and introduce pip to, gunshot at distance, at close range  and in amongst it, a gentle introduction to beating/shoot day, a gentle introduction to water and last but not least for this list, a gentle introduction to retrieving cold game.

two weeks ago I took pip for a walk on one of the farms I shoot on and I happened accross a shoot on neighbouring land so seized the opportunity and slowly walked her toward the gunshots, I got within 30/40 yds of the gun line with next to no reaction other than glancing toward the bangs. So I decided to get the gun out and sat in the bottom of a ditch with her and had a few shots at passing pigeon…..again no reaction other than a sniff of the chamber and the. The ejected cartridges. That was all I needed to see certainly not gun shy 👌🏻

jump forward to today and it was her first outing onto the shoot. We arrived in plenty of time and got the fusses (toward pip not me) out of the way. She behaved impeccably all day and flushed her first pheasant 😁 which was swiftly brought down by one of the guns so i was happy with that. We got to the end and took three of the dogs for a walk to take down one of the partridge pens, pip was completely off lead for the entirety of the walk and again behaved impeccably coming to the whistle and to calls of her name. Things then got interesting, we spotted a duck on the field that had been missed on the last drive, so decided to send pip for it, straight onto it gave it a sniff and then returned leaving the duck in place, slightly embarrassed I said to my pal to send his lab for it, he refused with “no, sit her up and send her again. Plenty of encouragement as she gets to it mate and she’ll be right” so I sent her again with a hand signal and get back. Off she went straight onto it nudged it into position picked it up and brought it back to my feet! Over the moon!  Into the game pouch in the back of my jacket plenty of praise and a “go play” command given. Off she went with the lab and the daschund. 01432D2A-E7F3-4EEE-B4CB-DD9E17A6EBA2.png.4ca86b4ede3995c74cb48efab5da18d7.pngNext thing I know she’s in the pond with the lab swimming 🤣🤣 so the need for a gentle introduction to water is obviously now dealt with by her own choosing. What a fantastic day and a seriously happy owner. 

6 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

Another little update :-  I had a list of things to work on and introduce pip to, gunshot at distance, at close range  and in amongst it, a gentle introduction to beating/shoot day, a gentle introduction to water and last but not least for this list, a gentle introduction to retrieving cold game.

two weeks ago I took pip for a walk on one of the farms I shoot on and I happened accross a shoot on neighbouring land so seized the opportunity and slowly walked her toward the gunshots, I got within 30/40 yds of the gun line with next to no reaction other than glancing toward the bangs. So I decided to get the gun out and sat in the bottom of a ditch with her and had a few shots at passing pigeon…..again no reaction other than a sniff of the chamber and the. The ejected cartridges. That was all I needed to see certainly not gun shy 👌🏻

jump forward to today and it was her first outing onto the shoot. We arrived in plenty of time and got the fusses (toward pip not me) out of the way. She behaved impeccably all day and flushed her first pheasant 😁 which was swiftly brought down by one of the guns so i was happy with that. We got to the end and took three of the dogs for a walk to take down one of the partridge pens, pip was completely off lead for the entirety of the walk and again behaved impeccably coming to the whistle and to calls of her name. Things then got interesting, we spotted a duck on the field that had been missed on the last drive, so decided to send pip for it, straight onto it gave it a sniff and then returned leaving the duck in place, slightly embarrassed I said to my pal to send his lab for it, he refused with “no, sit her up and send her again. Plenty of encouragement as she gets to it mate and she’ll be right” so I sent her again with a hand signal and get back. Off she went straight onto it nudged it into position picked it up and brought it back to my feet! Over the moon!  Into the game pouch in the back of my jacket plenty of praise and a “go play” command given. Off she went with the lab and the daschund. 01432D2A-E7F3-4EEE-B4CB-DD9E17A6EBA2.png.4ca86b4ede3995c74cb48efab5da18d7.pngNext thing I know she’s in the pond with the lab swimming 🤣🤣 so the need for a gentle introduction to water is obviously now dealt with by her own choosing. What a fantastic day and a seriously happy owner. 

Sounds like a fantastic day...even better now you don't need to get the waders on and get in the water with the dog! I've been hampered by a terrible shift pattern so my own dog...just turned 1 year old is only starting to hear launcher blanks fired from my rifle (no blank pistol unfortunately).

I'm hoping next year she may be ready for some pigeons but really trying not to rush as she still seems a little immature.

Can't wait to see more from your dog, its a beauty

8 hours ago, Rob85 said:

Sounds like a fantastic day...even better now you don't need to get the waders on and get in the water with the dog! I've been hampered by a terrible shift pattern so my own dog...just turned 1 year old is only starting to hear launcher blanks fired from my rifle (no blank pistol unfortunately).

I'm hoping next year she may be ready for some pigeons but really trying not to rush as she still seems a little immature.

Can't wait to see more from your dog, its a beauty

Thanks rob, it was a fantastic day and left me with a huge smile, pip has also just turned a year old.  I’ve also been taking things very slowly as would hate to ruin a good dog, most of the leaps forward in what we’ve been doing have been down to her diving in head first so I’ve just decided to go with it, figuring she wouldn’t be doing what she’s not comfortable with. On the one hand I don’t want to ruin her but on the other I don’t want to hold her back if she’s comfortable and willing to take it further. 

I still have lots of work to do on basic principles but we will get there in time and I’ll make sure I keep the updates coming as and when they happen 😁