Question.

Scully

I’m really interested in Ditchies idea of acrylic resin paper weights, but didn’t want to divert the thread. 
My question is, how would you go about ‘suspending’ the item in the resin rather than have it sat on the bottom? 
I haven’t given it a Google, but thought someone on here may have done it. 

suspend it with cotton thread at a suitable depth in the mould on the top part of the lock internals....using maybe blue tack............do first pour to the underside...let it nealy cure.....remove threads and blue tack ...do 2nd pour.......

how does that sound ?

What ditchy says. My uncle sells shooting/walking sticks at most of the southern game fairs, and I've seen him manage to suspend a dandelion seed head (think they are called pappus) in resin for a stick top. How he managed that I've no idea. But he did tell me in his shed its a case of pour, let it set, rest item on top, pour a bit more, let it set, repeat until finished. Some will take a few layers which you won't see unless you really look hard. 

Carts, bugs, leafs/flowers, bullets the lot. Think the trick is to pour extremely slow, and get the bubbles out. I've seen some use vibration to do so depending on the thickness poured. Think he said some bespoke items and take days to do, nearly a week after polishing on the wheels.

There's loads of YouTube vids on resin pouring, I was going to make a coffee table but tbh the cost of resin put me off for the amount of resin I would need. 

25 minutes ago, ditchman said:

suspend it with cotton thread at a suitable depth in the mould on the top part of the lock internals....using maybe blue tack............do first pour to the underside...let it nealy cure.....remove threads and blue tack ...do 2nd pour.......

how does that sound ?

Thanks. I was thinking along similar lines to be honest, just didn’t want a visible hard line, but that sounds grand. Will maybe experiment with something I don’t really care about first.
Cheers Ditchy. 👍

20 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

What ditchy says. My uncle sells shooting/walking sticks at most of the southern game fairs, and I've seen him manage to suspend a dandelion seed head (think they are called pappus) in resin for a stick top. How he managed that I've no idea. But he did tell me in his shed its a case of pour, let it set, rest item on top, pour a bit more, let it set, repeat until finished. Some will take a few layers which you won't see unless you really look hard. 

Carts, bugs, leafs/flowers, bullets the lot. Think the trick is to pour extremely slow, and get the bubbles out. I've seen some use vibration to do so depending on the thickness poured. Think he said some bespoke items and take days to do, nearly a week after polishing on the wheels.

There's loads of YouTube vids on resin pouring, I was going to make a coffee table but tbh the cost of resin put me off for the amount of resin I would need. 

Thanks. 👍

I know I will probably be shot down in flames but I've just looked at the YouTube Ben's Work ...and not trying to take anything anyway from his Work which is quite remarkable....but what do you do with the waste...? Can I be recycled or can you in a way reuse it I'm not trying to be a kill joy but ...

DB....