Another tin of old cartridges arrived today.

On 21/03/2022 at 17:49, ditchman said:

fired a few of those yellow wizard.......

Me to ,the original paper ones as shown were very dirty the later plastic case ones were much better I still have 200 of these used some on crows the other week and even though they must be over 25 years old they killed very well .

19 hours ago, TIDES EDGE said:

Me to ,the original paper ones as shown were very dirty the later plastic case ones were much better I still have 200 of these used some on crows the other week and even though they must be over 25 years old they killed very well .

May be wrong, but I would guess they would be over 45 years old at least.

I used the green Baikal ones in the 70s. Horrible, but cheap. The 9mm garden gun cartridge with the green and white chequering - is that paper? My dad bought a box of similar ones and the paper burnt, creating an impressive muzzle flash and ashes in the barrel.

The box is on its way to @hanky hopefully he will find something of interest. 

On 24/03/2022 at 08:04, London Best said:

May be wrong, but I would guess they would be over 45 years old at least.

Thats some age. My shells are lucky to last a year and even that is only likely when they roll under the truck seats. 

On 27/03/2022 at 14:15, Townie said:

I used the green Baikal ones in the 70s. Horrible, but cheap. The 9mm garden gun cartridge with the green and white chequering - is that paper? My dad bought a box of similar ones and the paper burnt, creating an impressive muzzle flash and ashes in the barrel.

Baikal were  £48  per 1000 and came in a wooden outer box that I used as a log basket for years.

40 minutes ago, TIDES EDGE said:

Baikal were  £48  per 1000 and came in a wooden outer box that I used as a log basket for years.

I had many a wooden box of Baikal, but I remember them as £67/1000?? Very early ‘70’s.
Eley GP were £110 to £120.

Edited by London Best

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I had many a wooden box of Baikal, but I remember them as £67/1000?? Very early ‘70’s.
Eley GP were £110 to £120.

If my memory serves me right they were on special offer from a gun shop up in Essex I got the lorry driver from the company I then worked for to pick them up for me when he was up there delivering so it was before certifiates.

18 minutes ago, TIDES EDGE said:

If my memory serves me right they were on special offer from a gun shop up in Essex I got the lorry driver from the company I then worked for to pick them up for me when he was up there delivering so it was before certifiates.

My Baikals were always delivered but I cannot remember by whom or where I bought them from. I moved into this property in ‘79 and remember some being delivered here, so possibly my £67 is a later price? (Old memory) Certificates actually were introduced in 1968, but in a very simple form with almost no conditions.