Double Gun Journal

Scully

No they weren't a magic bullet and it's been well written up. If these are Teague's permanent re-lining tubes?

Some problems being that despite looking nice and fine from outside the balance and handling went all to pot. I personally can't see why that should be if the same amount of steel was removed but that's what's said. More serious difficulties were that dents could no longer be removed (apparently) and that there would be some sort of "bubbling" of the glue between the liner and the barrel. I write as someone who has never handled a Teague lined gun.

I have however handled and indeed do and did own WELL DONE steel (not Damascus) sleeved guns. If done with skill the join can't be seen when the barrels are struck off and reblacked. Badly done and yes there's a tell tale ring of braze. Modern sleeving is done by ribbon welding (I'm told) and is virtually impossible to see from the outside.

OTOH SCULLY the article appears to be something totally different like American three set 20, 28 and .410" Skeet tubes for a 12 bore gun?

Edited by enfieldspares

25 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

No they weren't a magic bullet and it's been well written up. If these are Teague's permanent re-lining tubes?

Some problems being that despite looking nice and fine from outside the balance and handling went all to pot. I personally can't see why that should be if the same amount of steel was removed but that's what's said. More serious difficulties were that dents could no longer be removed (apparently) and that there would be some sort of "bubbling" of the glue between the liner and the barrel. I write as someone who has never handled a Teague lined gun.

I have however handled and indeed do and did own WELL DONE steel (not Damascus) sleeved guns. If done with skill the join can't be seen when the barrels are struck off and reblacked. Badly done and yes there's a tell tale ring of braze. Modern sleeving is done by ribbon welding (I'm told) and is virtually impossible to see from the outside.

OTOH SCULLY the article appears to be something totally different like American three set 20, 28 and .410" Skeet tubes for a 12 bore gun?

Now that would **** the balance up!

36 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Briley tubes. Designed to turn obsolete  ( for whatever reason ) 12 bore guns into 20, 28 or .410. 

22 minutes ago, Scully said:

Briley tubes. Designed to turn obsolete  ( for whatever reason ) 12 bore guns into 20, 28 or .410. 

Yes. That's the ones. Thank you. I'd forgotten the name. And I think these Teague things are the same? They look the same?

https://www.briley.com/c-238-tube-sets-accessories-and-cases.aspx

I've seen the one American Skeet set of a 12 Bore Winchester O/U with then three sets of tubes in 20, 28 and .410". 

Edited by enfieldspares

48 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Not Teague recining that I can make out. I have had two guns with lined Damascus barrels. A Purdey hammer that performed and handled fine but which I have since sold. I have retained a Charles Lancaster Hammer and that too handles fine. I did though have a fall and knocked the barrel lump off. Fear was that it could not be refitted using traditional solder without distorting barrels so insurers were ready to pay out the value of the gun. Graham Mackinley came to the rescue and resoldered without any problems whatsoever so back to a fully functional hammer gun.

24 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes. That's the ones. Thank you. I'd forgotten the name. And I think these Teague things are the same? They look the same?

https://www.briley.com/c-238-tube-sets-accessories-and-cases.aspx

I've seen the one American Skeet set of a 12 Bore Winchester O/U with then three sets of tubes in 20, 28 and .410". 

👍

At the time those Teague liners really did seem the answer to giving life back into Damascus barrels and would have possibly enabled older English guns to be used with HP steel.

Given the problems, I’m surprised that someone hasn’t come up with a solution to the problems encountered. Perhaps they have, but have been bought out by a manufacturer of modern guns for obvious commercial reasons.

OB

• 2 weeks later...