Jump to content

Mallard feeders


Recommended Posts

Those auto feeders look a handy bit of kit I've seen on shoots them being attached to a pallet & floated out into the middle of ponds & left to feed on a scheduled timer & retrieved via rope to refill them. A couple standard feeds around the pond would also do just fine I imagine. I'm no gamekeeper so please correct me if I am wrong these are just some of the ways I've seen it done on some shoots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just use normal feeders and throw some in the water edge / bank side when passing

Ours are wild ducks though

Just now, jall25 said:

We just use normal feeders and throw some in the water edge / bank side when passing

Ours are wild ducks though but i dont see why that would matter 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had some auto feeders that came from USA and were call Kenco straight feeders that throw a straight line of feed along the edge. These have now worn out so I brought auto feeder from A1 Decoys and these throw 360 degrees, so made a thin aluminium baffle round most of the cage. This worked well and with a bit of trial and error it now throws about 90 degrees arc. We have some shallow areas that it works well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dont use any sort of feeder just tip it on the bank then as they get older start to feed them further and further away from the pond and the trick is not to over feed them keep them keen and clear all the feed up each day then start to make them fly back to the pond they need to bulid up wing muscle.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TIDES EDGE said:

Dont use any sort of feeder just tip it on the bank then as they get older start to feed them further and further away from the pond and the trick is not to over feed them keep them keen and clear all the feed up each day then start to make them fly back to the pond they need to bulid up wing muscle.

 

 

That's the problem, i can't be there every day, i have a full time job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, London Best said:

Keepering is a full time job.

A part time keeper is a full time job for part time pay.

 

It is a learning curve fore me, first time releasing mallards on the pool.

This is not your regular duck pond , is a beautifull pool in the middle of the woods, and i'm trying to establish a permanent mallard population.

They will only get shot if too many...IMG_1266.jpg.c0339a99f58a4d2e1d93cdcfa7b7d614.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, shootgun said:

 

It is a learning curve fore me, first time releasing mallards on the pool.

This is not your regular duck pond , is a beautifull pool in the middle of the woods, and i'm trying to establish a permanent mallard population.

They will only get shot if too many...IMG_1266.jpg.c0339a99f58a4d2e1d93cdcfa7b7d614.jpg

Thats mega - please dont go and spoil that with tame Mallard - use it for flighting 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shootgun said:

That's just the corner where i plan to release the ducks... Actually is much bigger !IMG_1269.jpg.c88011c98c6d1c6bbac8bb72ea14d765.jpg

Looks really special = Honestly dont ruin it 

 

Get a feeder out and the wild duck will find it - they wont make half the mess 

16 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Which, unfortunately, any number of reared duck will soon destroy. Messy bleeders.

Yes i agree 

6 hours ago, TIDES EDGE said:

It works for us we rear 4 to 5 thousand and have duck that are out of shot .

 

Goodness - i wouldnt want to shoot one reared duck let alone 4or5000 !

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

Looks really special = Honestly dont ruin it 

 

Get a feeder out and the wild duck will find it - they wont make half the mess 

Yes i agree 

Goodness - i wouldnt want to shoot one reared duck let alone 4or5000 !

 

 

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

Looks really special = Honestly dont ruin it 

 

Get a feeder out and the wild duck will find it - they wont make half the mess 

Yes i agree 

Goodness - i wouldnt want to shoot one reared duck let alone 4or5000 !

 

jall25 I agree some reared duck are not worth shooting but as I said done properly ours are far higher than most pheasants are on most shoots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TIDES EDGE said:

 

jall25 I agree some reared duck are not worth shooting but as I said done properly ours are far higher than most pheasants are on most shoots.

Good for you - Im not interested in  how or far i suppose - Just if they have a chance - but each to their own #

 

All i do know is tame duck will ruin a lovely pond / pool like this 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...