Shooting from a seat.

Minky

I've been invited to shoot informal driven sporting clays this weekend but I'm healing from an Achilles tendon operation.  I'm in a boot and intend to shoot from a seat.  I'm  reasonably confident that I'm  not going to damage myself and I have help in getting there + equipment.   Does anyone shoot from a seat of have any tips for shooting from a seat.  I'll give it a go even if I have to just be a spectator.  Better than being left in the motor like a dog.

Edited by Minky

2 hours ago, Minky said:

I've been invited to shoot informal driven sporting clays this weekend but I'm healing from an Achilles tendon operation.  I'm in a boot and intend to shoot from a seat.  I'm  reasonably confident that I'm  not going to damage myself and I have help in getting there + equipment.   Does anyone shoot from a seat of have any tips for shooting from a seat.  I'll give it a go even if I have to just be a spectator.  Better than being left in the motor like a dog.

This might help. Its about skeet shooting from a wheelchair. 😁

Where are you situated to start with?   I now struggle to walk long distances and need to sit to relieve the pain in both legs if I stand too long.  I either take my folding three legged stool made just high enough for me to stand easily or I have a swivel plastic seat which is excellent for shooting from.  The main advise I can give is to relax and let the upper body move freely. I appreciate your not gpoing to be able to use your lower legs and feet a lot, so reolaxing the upper body is more important   AND...what the H, just go and enjoy yourself . I you live close to me I could lend you my swivel seat.

Thanks for the replies.  The shoot is a very informal one at a friend's.  He has a tower and has rigged up a multi stacker in a building, launching from an upper opening door.  We don't have positions or pegs and there is no pull command or scoring.  It's more like a sort of royal flush.  As the birds fly they are randomly shot at by anyone who is loaded.  Sometimes you go to shoot and the clay breaks just as you were about to shoot.  Sometimes you shoot exactly the same time as another gun shoots  but surprisingly you automatically know who actually hit it.  The person who is on the button has to pay attention to the line and the situation of reloading.   The ideal is a constant flow of clays over the guns without launching clays when everyone is reloading thus wasting clays.  This goes on until either the clays need reloading or the guns are to hot to hold,  no one has any cartridges in the bag or people want to shoot a different gun. It's brilliant.   No one gets ratty about anything because there isn't time.  If clays get partially broken someone else will shoot the bits.  It is quite easy to knock through a couple of hundred cartridges and many boxes of clays.  We have a few stops for pickups but not many get through.  Good shots.  Afterwards there is tea, coffee and hot jumbo sausage rolls.  I will ask son in law, who I am going with to ger my gear to the back end of the lines so that I don't get overloaded or I could sit out there just behind the middle of the line on the button and keep the barrels red hot. Because of the surgery I have been inactive  for a couple of months and I soon get physically tired.   I expect that I will soon fall asleep on the way home.

When I  go on these junkets, I usually take 4 different guns of different types and calibers. I am spoilt for choice in the gun room.  It's a bit like a woman in front of the wardrobe trying to decide what to wear. 4 different guns 4 different  calibers all fibre.  Probably I'll be so knackered that I think this time I'll limit myself to 1 caliber and  2 guns. And limit the cartridges to a couple of hundred.  I can always regulate by going on the button for the others benefit.  I also have to consider my person who will drag my kit on and off of the field for me.  I don't know if he is any good at piggy backs.  Perhaps there's a wheelbarrow available.  😀😀😀😀. I spoke with my host friend about the supply of clays and he said that he'd got 16 boxes in. So we'll be ok on that front.

I use a begara swivel seat for my pigeon/corvid shooting. Best I've found so far. I too struggle to walk far and it's light enough to carry short distances in a back pack.

Pic 1, assembled with the absolute maximum I ever carry.

20220816_165948.jpg.7ef89242649a9a780acbf63dd3bae0ad.jpg

Pic 2, packed with my normal gear.

20220831_093940.jpg.c945d4d7c8901b9446d275fd95158f70.jpg

If everything I have, minus my water bottle and ammo belt doesn't fit into a small rucksack it doesn't go with me.

The only exception is a bouncer pole, converted and doubles as a walking stick/staff.

20220830_114424.jpg

Yes I have had a Bergara now for six or sven years and fitted a rifle sling to it so I don't take it to pieces and it is light enough to carry on the shoulder.    However whilst in Slovenia I saw the folding three leg stools they use out there on their driven big game days and made a couple for myself with legs long enough so I am really just perched on the seat taking weight off the legs but still able to stand and shoot without a struggle.  The Bergara seat is good value in my view. I did put some larger diameter feet on mine for wet soft fields.

8 hours ago, Walker570 said:

However whilst in Slovenia I saw the folding three leg stools they use out there on their driven big game days and made a couple for myself with legs long enough so I am really just perched on the seat taking weight off the legs but still able to stand and shoot without a struggle. 

Can you post a picture of your seat please. It might give me an idea to build one myself.

My son has a small swivel 3 legger but it's too low for me to get up from without assistance.