Corvid Ladder Trap

harrycatcat1

I drew this plan up last year but I haven't had the time, inclination or the wood to start the project.  The reason that it's this size is for transportation, it will just fit in my small trailer.

Do you think that it will work size wise? Before anyone says anything,  yes it will have chicken wire on it 🤣🤣👍👍

Comments please.

Screenshot_20220903-164822_Gallery.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Change of plan to the sizes.

Screenshot_20220903-191144_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

The height of the ladder trap is the most important. Also, drape some thin material strips down between the ladder rungs. A mate of mine made one and all the sections were hinged to allow it to be folded smaller.

Made the height 2m 👍

Screenshot_20220903-191154_Gallery.jpg

11 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

That should be good. Hanging strips down between the rungs, stops the birds even more, if they try to fly through them. 

Good luck when using it. In the right place, they are very effective.

Thanks for the advice 👍 I have penciled it in to be located at a farm that is inundated with corvids, tried shooting them but all clear off after one shot. Farmer wants a solution. 

28 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Thanks for the advice 👍 I have penciled it in to be located at a farm that is inundated with corvids, tried shooting them but all clear off after one shot. Farmer wants a solution. 

Same here on one of my permissions. After a few shots, they fly across the valley into the forestry. Jackdaw's are not so bad though, as they don't fly so far, and come back to the decoys quickly.

If you Google 'Ladder Trap dimensions', there's quite a few diagrams on there.

Edited by steve_b_wales

1 hour ago, bone said:

If you're successful with catching them in trap they are very good to then shoot incoming birds as they feel safe with mates already there, worked for me. 

Run out of wood 🙄🙄

Screenshot_20220904-193538_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220904-193546_Gallery.jpg

55 minutes ago, old'un said:

Not a good idea to shoot birds where you set your trap and don't kill the caught birds during the day time.

👍👍👍

Edited by harrycatcat1

2 hours ago, jall25 said:

Looks good that - we made ours - or someone made it lol - in sections and we cable tie it together so it can be moved

Be careful its out of sight as we had a few traps smashed this year 

Thanks 👍 the dimensions of this one are such that it will fit (just) in my small trailer for transportation. 

It now has a ladder 🪜 so on the lookout for netting. Does yours have netting on the bottom 🤔 

45 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Screenshot_20220906-103102_Gallery.jpg

bet your neighbours are wondering, what the hells he building? :)

Don't forget to run some chicken wire at the ends of the ladder, about a foot will do, its to stop them climbing out, also because its tall and narrow you may need some guy ropes to stop it blowing over.

What spacing have you done on the ladder?

12 minutes ago, rimfire4969 said:

Looks good we cable tie our one together so easy to move. Only thing I would change is the small door, hands and knees job crawling through crow poo to get in and out.

With regards to the small door I agree if i was to do it on my own, however I intended to enlist a friend to go in to catch the corvid and I would retire it. I was thinking the bigger the door the more chance of an escapee 🤔🤔

1 minute ago, harrycatcat1 said:

With regards to the small door I agree if i was to do it on my own, however I intended to enlist a friend to go in to catch the corvid and I would retire it. I was thinking the bigger the door the more chance of an escapee 🤔🤔

Good Idea, I have always found when you go in they tend to be as far from you as possible. But sending someone else in a the best plan. 😃

6 minutes ago, old'un said:

bet your neighbours are wondering, what the hells he building? :)

Don't forget to run some chicken wire at the ends of the ladder, about a foot will do, its to stop them climbing out, also because its tall and narrow you may need some guy ropes to stop it blowing over.

What spacing have you done on the ladder?

At the moment they are 8" x 6" my thoughts were if they go in and get out at least they are going in so could easily make they smaller 👍