Young bird found with serious problems

lakeside1000

Hi All, I picked up this young wood pigeon on one of my permissions yesterday, it was a fledgling, probably out of the nest for a month or so, it was covered in yellow blisters and scabby areas, mainly on its legs, feet and around its beak, I kept the body just in case , so its in my freezer, any one care to surmise on the cause of this infection / infestation, my guess would be some kind of tic or insect bites probably from the nest, 

IMG_20220912_131610.jpg

IMG_20220912_131617.jpg

IMG_20220912_131705.jpg

This reminds me of one that I once shot years ago.  It was in a terrible condition.  I did it a favour by shooting it.  It was in an enormous flock and I shot the only one out of hundreds, and it was left for the flies.  I can't remember all the things that looked wrong with it.  It was so manky that I didn't even want to touch it 

Edited by Minky

Had a dove that looked like that at a friends house.   Semi tame dove from a loft.   Had a fishing line trace wrapped around both its feet.   When trace was removed it looked just thae same as the pictures above. About two feet of nylon slowly tightening as the bird struggled to remove it.   Had damage on the bill area too.

Burn it! Just in case, as if any chance of AI or complications from, the virus can survive in a freezer for more than a year. 3 new out brakes of it in farmed flocks been reported today in Suffolk already. Gona be a hard Winter for some and bird life. A harbour porpoise was found to of died from it last week, as well as seals and a dog previously. So jumping species.  NB