Canada goose breast prep in September

ehb102

My favourite wildfowler (Hello, Nigel!) kindly gave me a Canada goose yesterday. It was a warmish day so I dressed it after a few hours. 

Usually I make a decent enough job of a bird, but this one has me beaten. The feathers are leaving bits behind, and even going at it with a pair of tweezers is ridiculously slow. I'm working on the breast and wanted to make a good job of it to feed it to some young friends who are eating less meat to help fight climate change 😱

What do I do? If I keep going at this rate the meat will be out the fridge long enough to spoil. Do I give it and skin the breast? Do I give it a wave over with the blow torch and ignore the feather stubs? Your expert advice would welcome, even if it is "wait a bit and get another goose next month" 😄 If there is some plucking technique I have yet to learn I'd love to know about it. 

Right now looks like the kids are going to be getting pigeon instead!

IMG_20220925_131232_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

It’ll be fine tell them not to eat the skin or if you’re carving it don’t give them any skin 

personally would have casseroled the breasts but if it’s roast goose you want 😊

I cook my goose breasts in a cast iron pan for ten minutes fat down, then in a hot oven for ten minutes and ten minutes rest. Usually tender like steak 😋 The salted skin adds a lot to thin slices of goose breast. I serve it with an apple sauce, done with cinnamon and sultanas and red wine.

Breast out , cup of olive oil, cup of white wine vinegar, sliced carrot, sliced lemon, sliced onion, sliced stick of celery, 6 cloves, six pepper corns, bay leaf, few herbs. Put in a dish or better vac bag it , 2 days in fridge turning over and making sure covers it. Gas 5 . Drain off, bit of butter rap in tin foil . 40 - 50 mins depending on how pink you want it.

Even the biggest toughest bird is good

Edited by Ferretlurcher1970