harrycatcat1

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

👍👍

So 5mm minimum and 6mm maximum it seems an exact science 🤔 🤣🤣🤣🤣

🤣🤣 That's just my preference,,,, I've seen them at 10mm and it looks ridiculous and doesn't serve any purpose. Just remember that the spacings are mainly for expansion of the boards.

BTW,,,, fixings are two per joist and three on the ends 😉

5 minutes ago, JKD said:

🤣🤣 That's just my preference,,,, I've seen them at 10mm and it looks ridiculous and doesn't serve any purpose. Just remember that the spacings are mainly for expansion of the boards.

BTW,,,, fixings are two per joist and three on the ends 😉

😉😉🤣🤣👍👍👍

54 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

UK seem to have big grooves up. 
EU big grooves down

for some reason?

ours is big grooves up but I would have preferred down in all honesty 

Yes this that I'm replacing is big grooves up,  there are folk that say it holds water more and the big grooves down are for airflow. Clearly I am no expert but I will put the big grooves down and put a 5mm gap between the boards.  It's the hand rails that I'm not looking forward to doing.

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Yes this that I'm replacing is big grooves up,  there are folk that say it holds water more and the big grooves down are for airflow. Clearly I am no expert but I will put the big grooves down and put a 5mm gap between the boards.  It's the hand rails that I'm not looking forward to doing.

That’s what I would be doing - EU style. 

there is a site that does rail packs. Rope rails. Wire even glass. 
it maybe decking warehouse 

might give you an idea. 

i think when ours needs redoing I will probably go with wood effect composite. 
I was in contact with a company that would build me a pack including fixing and edgings. 40sqm was coming in around £2300 if I recall. 
I was also looking at the upvc decking you see on caravans that butts up without a gap. That was not cheap either but looked good as long as you have a drop to drain water 

Edited by ph5172

43 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

That’s what I would be doing - EU style. 

there is a site that does rail packs. Rope rails. Wire even glass. 
it maybe decking warehouse 

might give you an idea. 

i think when ours needs redoing I will probably go with wood effect composite. 
I was in contact with a company that would build me a pack including fixing and edgings. 40sqm was coming in around £2300 if I recall. 
I was also looking at the upvc decking you see on caravans that butts up without a gap. That was not cheap either but looked good as long as you have a drop to drain water 

Yes it's all food for thought, I was thinking composite but I couldn't work out the good stuff from the Chinese so plumped for wood 👍👍

8 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Yes it's all food for thought, I was thinking composite but I couldn't work out the good stuff from the Chinese so plumped for wood 👍👍

To be honest I just saw the 2 styles. A composite version of the wood in different colours as in the thick groves and eu grooves and the wood effect planks with no grooves. 

there was also the Upvc type that butt up and are about triple the width of normal planks and come in multiple colours 

I

Big grooves down . The boards are made like that so water runs better off the top of the joists , also the grooves provide stress relief  so when the board expands and contracts during the seasons .the boards hopefully stay flat .internal wood flooring is the same. 

If you lay the big grooves up when it gets wet in winter  it will be extra slippery.  6 mm gaps   

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Big grooves down . The boards are made like that so water runs better off the top of the joists , also the grooves provide stress relief  so when the board expands and contracts during the seasons .the boards hopefully stay flat .internal wood flooring is the same. 

If you lay the big grooves up when it gets wet in winter  it will be extra slippery.  6 mm gaps   

Thank you 👍 

46 minutes ago, ditchman said:

dont you need a liecence to excavate a rubbish tip ?

🤣🤣🤣👍👍 chap has just brought all the new decking and he said "you've got your "flippin" work cut out there mate!!!"

He also said whoever put the decking down didn't clean up the bricks, carpets and rubbish🙄🙄

Edited to say, he carried 6 x 145mm x 3m decking boards at a time, I could only manage 2 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by harrycatcat1

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

🤣🤣🤣👍👍 chap has just brought all the new decking and he said "you've got your "flippin" work cut out there mate!!!"

He also said whoever put the decking down didn't clean up the bricks, carpets and rubbish🙄🙄

Edited to say, he carried 6 x 145mm x 3m decking boards at a time, I could only manage 2 🤣🤣🤣

What!...you have sold all the new decking? Are you putting the old stuff back?:)

27 minutes ago, old'un said:

I reckon you are two planks short there. :)

Not heard much about your ladder trap, as the decking taken priority?

The ladder trap is still on site with the door open but getting corvids to take the bait is difficult. And yes the decking has taken priority.  I don't think the ladder trap will start catching till spring 🤔