Decking replacement

harrycatcat1

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just take care guys when buying the wood. I remember some years ago taking my old war widowed mother to B & Q to buy some of this sort of planking. Pensioners' Tuesday it was.

We were looking at all the various lengths and qualities when a guy in an orange apron jumped out from behind a large stack of the same and demanded of my mother "Do you want decking?" 

Well! Fortunately I managed to step between them and get my blow in first and down he went like a sack of bricks. I hate to think what might have happened though if I hadn't been quick enough. 

Of course with mad and deranged people like that in the warehouse we left straight away and went to Jewson's instead.

Just managing to avoid being obstructed at the entry and exit road by the two police cars that...I think maybe to visit the doughnut van in the car park...were then just arriving. Who knows?

But, wow! That's a shopping trip I'll never forget.

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

Just take care guys when buying the wood. I remember some years ago taking my old war widowed mother to B & Q to buy some of this sort of planking. Pensioners' Tuesday it was.

We were looking at all the various lengths and qualities when a guy in an orange apron jumped out from behind a large stack of the same and demanded of my mother "Do you want decking?" 

Well! Fortunately I managed to step between them and get my blow in first and down he went like a sack of bricks. I hate to think what might have happened though if I hadn't been quick enough. 

Of course with mad and deranged people like that in the warehouse we left straight away and went to Jewson's instead.

Just managing to avoid being obstructed at the entry and exit road by the two police cars that...I think maybe to visit the doughnut van in the car park...were then just arriving. Who knows?

But, wow! That's a shopping trip I'll never forget.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😉😉😉😉👍👍👍

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

candles mate............candles..:good:she will never know the difference

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

10 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Think you better get the finger oot!  Wont be long till summer!

Your not wrong, I've said it should be done before spring,  I only do a couple of hours a day when it's not raining. It's raining here now so might not get much done today. The list gets longer 😳

This has been a slow job even getting to this stage. I've braced up the supports as one of the gaps was 1200mm. I've put extra support for the posts for the glass balustrade around the edges. And no I'm not even going to attempt to clear all the rubbish underneath. 

I've put two new decking lengths on just for a bit of "light at the end of the tunnel " 🤣

Screenshot_20221102-142246_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221102-142258_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221102-142309_Gallery.jpg

what a mess underneath........was it built by caravan chancers ?

i would take the whole lot down and bin it ...do some nice steps onto a nice slabbed terrace...

build a nice pizza oven and B-B-Q...jobs a gooden low maintenace

:good:

Edited by ditchman

35 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what a mess underneath........was it built by caravan chancers ?

i would take the whole lot down and bin it ...do some nice steps onto a nice slabbed terrace...

build a nice pizza oven and B-B-Q...jobs a gooden low maintenace

:good:

I don't know who built it, it was "inherited" I've got the job of trying to do something with it. The pictures don't show that if you took the decking away the step down from the back door to the original ground level is approximately 3 feet.

2 minutes ago, JKD said:

Looks like someone built it just to hide all that rubbish !!! 🥴🤣

Shouldn't laugh, but hey,,,, always look on the bright side of life 🤭😂

Someone will be along soon to say something about rats under decking 🙄

I thought that but I've not seen any evidence of rats, yet 🤔 

It all looks a bit odd to me, dont know what was there before the wooden decking but everything looks like its been built 3 foot off the ground, the back door and the conservatory, how did people get to ground level, were there steps?

All that rubbish will encourage rats. :whistling:

2 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I thought that but I've not seen any evidence of rats, yet 🤔 

Historically on here, decking is a magnet for rats. I've lifted many and built a few,,,, never seen/been informed of a rat problem !!!

4 hours ago, old'un said:

It all looks a bit odd to me, dont know what was there before the wooden decking but everything looks like its been built 3 foot off the ground, the back door and the conservatory, how did people get to ground level, were there steps?

Yes steps made out of block paving 👍👍

There's no such thing as a straight piece of wood/timber 😂

As long as the first plank is dead straight all the others will be,,,, if you do your thing 😄

Looks like you'll be using some long ish clamps to line them up.

May be too late now but,,,, it's common (and good) practice to overlap/stagger the boards 😉

Edited by JKD

5 minutes ago, JKD said:

There's no such thing as a straight piece of wood/timber 😂

As long as the first plank is dead straight all the others will be,,,, if you do your thing 😄

Looks like you'll be using some long ish clamps to line them up.

May be too late now but,,,, it's common (and good) practice to overlap/stagger the boards 😉

It will be ok once its finished,  nobody will notice 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍👍

2 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

It will be ok once its finished,  nobody will notice 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍👍

Sorry, but I would 🤣😂 But then I'm very particular and fussy (read precise) with my work 👍🤣

Taking shape nicely though 👏👏👏