Decking replacement

harrycatcat1

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, ditchman said:

small pilot hole then self tapping screws ?

use titaium or colbalt drills for stainless steel

I have found that a lathe centre drill used in your drill gives a good start in stainless, allowing you to apply pressure without the risk of breaking it that you get with a smaller "hard" drill.

I have also followed Old Farrier's tip of using tallow as a cutting lubricant on stainless, with good effect

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

small pilot hole then self tapping screws ?

use titaium or colbalt drills for stainless steel

Thanks, the firm reckon that they will put me a drill and tap in the post as I gave them some grief but self tapping screws sound good 👍 

Could have done with asking them to send a tower drill too 🤔 🙄 

2 minutes ago, amateur said:

I have found that a lathe centre drill used in your drill gives a good start in stainless, allowing you to apply pressure without the risk of breaking it that you get with a smaller "hard" drill.

I have also followed Old Farrier's tip of using tallow as a cutting lubricant on stainless, with good effect

Yes I've been doing some research and they do say keep the drill from overheating so I will need to think of something 🤔 

1 hour ago, discobob said:

At this time of year you can say it is the gift that keeps on giving!!! (or taking - your sanity 😁)

It's doing my head in to be honest, I expected to put all the frame together, put the glass in and screw it down. 

Nope, screw the base of the posts down,  get the posts level and right spacings for the glass. Then when all the posts and glass are in put the handrails on mark them and drill them 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Plenty more months to go then.  :rolleyes:

Oh yes 🙄🙄🙄

• 2 weeks later...

Laid our first lot way back,in fact the 9/11 attacks were taking place the day I was laying the boards, joist were 400 centres 6x2 s&t from jewson back in the days when the edges were squared rather than todays rounded off type that actually reduce the size to 145x45mm....boards I got from an agricultal dealer (barker & geary).

Still going strong today and stained with cuprinol non slip decking stain....some ten years later I did another deck around the pond using joists from wickes and boards....barely lasted 10 years before I had to replace 5 joists and countless boards even though the 2nd deck had the same 7mm expansion gap....both decks the boards were staggered rather than straight end to ends.

Used screwfix decking screws but found they were too soft and would round off if they hit a knot in the joists but wickes decking screws were far better being star headed rather than posi drive....shame I can't say the same for their joists and boards.

• 2 weeks later...