Kenzie

moondoggy

11 hours ago, moondoggy said:

For those who haven’t already seen it, here is a link to an interesting video of Kenzie Thorpe - The Wild Goose Man

https://eafa.ehost.uea.ac.uk/work/?id=1665&fbclid=IwAR2jiuI_yBYlvdm3WG-XKm-sxeslgDA0xxEj6A05hHnHrPAzF7yxOhdJqQ8

Having read his book some months back, I found this fascinating, enjoy

Thanks for the link although I have seen that one a few times , there is also a shorter one taking in the 1960s that Harrycat put on my old thread Mc Kenzie Thorpe ( Again ) both are from the E A F A ( East Anglian Film Archive's ) stacks of old films from the past , another good one is the Puntgunner , although not sure you can still get the link from E A F A .

Enjoyed watching that again. 

Does anyone know if Kenzie used a dog? I dont recall reading anything about him using a dog for wildfowling or seeing any photos or footage of him with a dog. Surely for a man doing so much coastal fowling he would have had a dog or dogs over his time. Just curious.

Marshman, would that puntgunning film be the one with J.R.J and Laurie Thompson or is it a different one you mention?

5 hours ago, SuperGoose75 said:

Enjoyed watching that again. 

Does anyone know if Kenzie used a dog? I dont recall reading anything about him using a dog for wildfowling or seeing any photos or footage of him with a dog. Surely for a man doing so much coastal fowling he would have had a dog or dogs over his time. Just curious.

Marshman, would that puntgunning film be the one with J.R.J and Laurie Thompson or is it a different one you mention?

Evening Super Goose  ..... No , the one I was talking about is called Master Gun And Master Gunners , ( 1972 ) some of it is punt gunning on our estuary ( Breydon Water ) , worth watching :good:

3 hours ago, London Best said:

I never knew Kenzie use a dog. Not sure if he ever did.

I believe it said in his book , or I might had read it somewhere that he hadn't had a dog for a number of years , so weather he ever had a gun dog or just a dog for a pet that we might never know , also did he ever have a motor or a driving licence ? , as he always seemed to be picked up at his house , or going by the early form of transport he had , like what most of us started with was a scooter  :hmm:

9 hours ago, marsh man said:

I believe it said in his book , or I might had read it somewhere that he hadn't had a dog for a number of years , so weather he ever had a gun dog or just a dog for a pet that we might never know , also did he ever have a motor or a driving licence ? , as he always seemed to be picked up at his house , or going by the early form of transport he had , like what most of us started with was a scooter  :hmm:

He had a scooter when I first knew him in 1965. I don’t remember ever seeing him driving a car. Question if he ever had any form of licence for the scooter!

15 hours ago, marsh man said:

Evening Super Goose  ..... No , the one I was talking about is called Master Gun And Master Gunners , ( 1972 ) some of it is punt gunning on our estuary ( Breydon Water ) , worth watching :good:

Good morning Marsh man, thanks very much for that. Would you believe I actually watched that very same footage about 20yrs ago on a VHS video that I had been kindly loaned at the time. Absolutely brilliant to be able to watch it again. It really brought ''John Knowlittle's'' book to life. 

Ref- Kenzie and dogs, I suppose a lot of his shooting was done inland and maybe he didnt see the need for one. Or perhaps some of the people he guided on the marsh brought their own dogs with them. I fully understand his annoyance at dogs disturbing nesting birds in the breeding season, but I couldnt help think by his remark that he was no great lover of our canine friends. A remarkable character none the less.👍

On 07/11/2022 at 09:42, SuperGoose75 said:

Good morning Marsh man, thanks very much for that. Would you believe I actually watched that very same footage about 20yrs ago on a VHS video that I had been kindly loaned at the time. Absolutely brilliant to be able to watch it again. It really brought ''John Knowlittle's'' book to life. 

Ref- Kenzie and dogs, I suppose a lot of his shooting was done inland and maybe he didnt see the need for one. Or perhaps some of the people he guided on the marsh brought their own dogs with them. I fully understand his annoyance at dogs disturbing nesting birds in the breeding season, but I couldnt help think by his remark that he was no great lover of our canine friends. A remarkable character none the less.👍

22 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Thanks for posting very interesting and good to watch 😊👍

Another little gem that is worth a look is ( A Dying Race 1964 Burgh Castle Norfolk ) Cat no 205535 , I knew this marsh man well when he was in his 70s , had a very deep Norfolk accent and chewed baccy when he was talking to you and every now and again he spat a dollop out , in the video he was 60 and kept himself as fit as a fiddle and lived to a ripe ole age , had a strange name for a Norfolk good ole boi , Frannie Brooks , now how many Frannies do you know ? :lol:

Blast MM. this is remarkable. I met Franie when I was 18 (1963). I was in the company of Nat Bircham, the last professional wherry skipper, which led to us meeting and talking and eventually I had a night in the pub at Burgh Castle listening to his tales of John Knowlittle (Arthur Patterson), of rare birds such as spoonbills and so on. I recall him chewing not just ordinary twist tobacco but fine-cut black ****. I think he dried it out after a good chew then smoked it in roll-ups. They were hard men back then !

I had no idea this clip existed and found it very special. Thanks.

21 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

Blast MM. this is remarkable. I met Franie when I was 18 (1963). I was in the company of Nat Bircham, the last professional wherry skipper, which led to us meeting and talking and eventually I had a night in the pub at Burgh Castle listening to his tales of John Knowlittle (Arthur Patterson), of rare birds such as spoonbills and so on. I recall him chewing not just ordinary twist tobacco but fine-cut black ****. I think he dried it out after a good chew then smoked it in roll-ups. They were hard men back then !

I had no idea this clip existed and found it very special. Thanks.

Good evening P / P , Glad you found it interesting and it brought back a few memories , he was semi retired when I knew him as these sort of marsh men never fully retire until there body can no longer function , he was very well know for his spitting habit when he was having a yarn .

I still go down to the pumping station every other morning , the pumping station haven't changed much but the ole cattle sheds in the video are no longer there.

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

I knew most the marsh men along the wall on the North side of the estuary , all of them would have had tales to tell that would have filled several books , Ole Gordon Addison was the first one who had a fairly big house at Duffels Rond and even now it is still called Gordons Rond , they had no mains and the lighting was by paraffin lamps , Gordon would bike along the top of the wall to Yarmouth to collect provisions , his wife rarely left there house and the odd time she went to town she went on a pony and trap and had to open 17 gates before they got to the main road .

The next one along the wall was at Lockgate Mill , this was very remote and again had no mains , the chap who I knew was the son of Lenny Rose , he once told me they had to get water out of the rain water tank the night before they wanted it in the Winter to stop it freezing up , he went to a school in Reedham and had to walk a mile and a half along the railway line to Berney Arms to get the train to Reedham and at one time during a period of heavy snow , he still got to school where some of them who lived in the village couldn't make it , like you were saying these men were as hard as nails .

The next one was the well known band of marsh men the Hewitts , these were well known and had lived on the marshes for many years , in the late 60s we were catching Coypus on the Halvergate marshes which included all the marshes near Berney Arms , the marsh man on these marshes were Henry Hewitt who every one knew him as Yoiton , he was a good ole boi and we used to give him the last inch off the tails so he could get the subsidy off the ministry in return for letting us go more or less where we liked . Happy days :good:

All the best    MM