are loads getting lighter in .410 ?

has anyone noticed that .410 loads seem to be 1g lighter than they were last year ? for example last year in my .410 i shot 19g #6 and my son shot 9g #7 from lyvale express. This year i dont seem to be able to get 19g #6 only 18g #6 and the 9g #7's are 8g #7's - prices have gone up and each cartridge is 1g lighter 

is there a reason that the .410 cartridges seem to now be 1g lighter per cartridge ? is it cutback's ? is it that they have changed the wads and cant fit the full shot load in ? are 18g loads the new 19g ? 

I believe it may be due to guaranteed loads. I know from reloading that 18.7g  fits perfectly and 19 g is just a couple of pellets too many. If Fiocchi could not guarantee a full 19g the fear would be that some smart alec would weigh the load and complain. The difference is three/four #6 shot. Put the bird in the pattern and you will not notice the difference niether will the bird.  If you have a selection of chokes then do some pattern testing at a MEASURED 35yrds to find the best choke for your needs and that of the cartridge because I have found 410s are peticularly finicky with chokes.  Hope this helps.  

I was on a driven day last week and a young boy was sharing the day with his dad. He was shooting 2 1/2s and killed a good cock pheasant, clean as a whistle at about 25yrds.

I gave him a couple of my 18.7g 3 inch reloads and he had a smile so big his head almost fell off. He killed a real corker. Great to see and he was going to keep that empty case.  I don't know his age but guess about 12-13yrs.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I believe it may be due to guaranteed loads. I know from reloading that 18.7g  fits perfectly and 19 g is just a couple of pellets too many. If Fiocchi could not guarantee a full 19g the fear would be that some smart alec would weigh the load and complain. The difference is three/four #6 shot. Put the bird in the pattern and you will not notice the difference niether will the bird.  If you have a selection of chokes then do some pattern testing at a MEASURED 35yrds to find the best choke for your needs and that of the cartridge because I have found 410s are peticularly finicky with chokes.  Hope this helps.  

I was on a driven day last week and a young boy was sharing the day with his dad. He was shooting 2 1/2s and killed a good cock pheasant, clean as a whistle at about 25yrds.

I gave him a couple of my 18.7g 3 inch reloads and he had a smile so big his head almost fell off. He killed a real corker. Great to see and he was going to keep that empty case.  I don't know his age but guess about 12-13yrs.

I've weighed one or two 19g Fiocchi's and they are always under, usually nearer 18g. Never been a problem though, like you say put it in the right place and you wouldn't know. Nothing wrong with a good 2/12" though, got to be 14g and either Winchester or loaded to their spec. They will kill as good as any 3" load and a bit faster. Saga used to do a cracking 21/2" 14g .410. 17g of SP3 in them, bit hot though.

15 hours ago, quentyn said:

has anyone noticed that .410 loads seem to be 1g lighter than they were last year ? for example last year in my .410 i shot 19g #6 and my son shot 9g #7 from lyvale express. This year i dont seem to be able to get 19g #6 only 18g #6 and the 9g #7's are 8g #7's - prices have gone up and each cartridge is 1g lighter 

is there a reason that the .410 cartridges seem to now be 1g lighter per cartridge ? is it cutback's ? is it that they have changed the wads and cant fit the full shot load in ? are 18g loads the new 19g ? 

It's not only just recorded weight reductions, many loads are now under full weight, when they used to be over. Many 1oz loads used to be 28.5g, now 27.5g is the new normal, 32g loads are 31.5g etc

Manufacturers appear to have shifted from ensuring you got the full weight to only ensuring you get the weight if you round up to the nearest gram.

All to do with profits, as shaving 1\2g to 1g per cartridge adds up to a 3-4% saving on lead costs in 12b but a 5- 10% saving in 410 per gram "lost".

Problem is the 410 doesn't have the lead to lose in the first place.

Traditional  Eley loads for 410 are 2inch 9g , 2.5 inch 12.5g and 3 inch 18g (5\16, 7\16 and 5\8 respectively).

However, the case sizes are easily capable of 2 inch 11.5g, 2.5 inch 14g and 3 inch 21g without compromising on wad and gas check which is also what the Americans tend to load.