SKB Shotguns - made in Japan

Bobba

For anyone owning an SKB shotgun - made in Japan, I thought I would post this additional info not on the SKB website.

I recently bought a SKB sxs 12 bore 200E. Very good condition so I wondered about the date of manufacture, I contacted "Holloway" on here as he had previously posted on SKB shotguns. He had been unable to date his and had to trawl back catalogues to look for matching specifications. So I emailed SKB USA. Their reply was immediate. Although unable to help with the date they gave a detailed explanation as to why. This is below.

It really is a great sign of SKB customer service to respond in this way when it could have been all to easy to just say sorry, no can do. 

"Bob, sorry, we only have records of Japanese made shotguns that we have imported into the United States from 1987 to 2009.  Typically, we have information available for most guns with serial number prefixes of NS, NSG, NA, and AS. SKB Shotguns USA does not have records of other importers, to include Shotguns imported by "Ithaca Gun Company" were manufactured from 1966 to 1978. Shotguns imported by Mitsui (Chicago, IL) were manufactured from 1981 to 1984.  Shotguns imported by Sile were manufactured from approx. 1984-1987.   Shotguns imported by “Weatherby” from 1984 to 2004. The SKB factory in Japan closed operations in 2009; all documents pertaining to shotgun production were turned into the Japanese government.  For additional research we have all the old Ithaca/SKB catalogs back to 1966 and some owner’s manuals on our website at skbshotguns.com."

PHIL
SKB SHOTGUNS
4441 SOUTH 134TH STREET
OMAHA, NEBRASKA 68137

TEL: 800-752-2767
FAX: 402-330-8040

I shot a BSA/SKB auto back in the 70s and put thousands of rounds through it until one morning the magazine tube departed the action on a DTL stand. It had had a very hard life both on the clays and pigeon shooting.  Until that fateful morning it had not missed a beat.

BSA must have had an import arrangement with SKB maybe another line of enquiry.

On 11/01/2023 at 11:32, ditchman said:

can you date it via the proof marks ?

On 11/01/2023 at 16:23, Gunman said:

Plus one .

Gentlemen, I know nothing about proof marks so here is a piccie. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

BFD0F879-FC25-42B2-B698-EDBF66F98C77.jpeg

It is the "crossed swords" things that include the date code for Birmingham.  I can't read them from the photo (where they are seen towards the bottom left corner of the flats as viewing the photo on the screen) but the decoder crib sheet is here;

http://www.hallowellco.com/birmingham_proof_house_date_code.htm

I think with the actual gun, that crib sheet, and possibly a magnifying glass - the original poster will be able to sort it quickly.

10 hours ago, Bobba said:

Gentlemen, I know nothing about proof marks so here is a piccie. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks.

BFD0F879-FC25-42B2-B698-EDBF66F98C77.jpeg

It has two sets of Birmingham marks .The earlier is the .7292" / .719"with  the proof code which looks like AB in the circular stamp which would be 1975 .This would be the year of import . The later with crossed pikes I cant make out .As to why it was reproofed is a question I would not even guess at .

Edited by Gunman

5 hours ago, Stonepark said:

To start... Most obviously, Birmingham proof, pre 1989

The 8-83 on the barrel could well be August 1983.

It has 2 sets of marks .One set 1975 the other post 1985  The 8-83 you mention which I admit I cant see has nothing to do with proof  and is most likely a makers ID mark of some kind .

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

No its  Birmingham . The BNP under a crown is the clue .as is the crossed pikes and crown date stamp   .London stamp date in 2 digits but that did not start till 2000.

With you, but going up the left hand flat from the "B" and passed the "NP" and 'crossed swords', what is next? I'm seeing a London R under a crown.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

With you, but going up the left hand flat from the "B" and passed the "NP" and 'crossed swords', what is next? I'm seeing a London R under a crown.

Does look a bit strange but not a terribly clear . Proof stamps have changed slightly from time to time ,but there is no way that a gun reproofed in Birmingham would have had a London mark as well.

It is also odd that there would be a reproof mark as this was usually only done if it was under the same rules of proof . As the second marks were under different rules and a different set of stamps I can only assume this was marked as reproof as they have not used a full set of marks ,the original chamber and load being the same ,only the bore size altered as far as I can make out .

Having dealt with both proof houses directly for over 30 years  years  ,  I can say is that they were law unto themselves and were occasionally beyond the understanding of mere mortals .

13 hours ago, Gunman said:

It has two sets of Birmingham marks .The earlier is the .7292" / .719"with  the proof code which looks like AB in the circular stamp which would be 1975 .This would be the year of import . The later with crossed pikes I cant make out .As to why it was reproofed is a question I would not even guess at .

Gentlemen. Many thanks for your interest and advice. I will take the 1975 date as closest to date of manufacture for my purposes. 

Whether it’s been reproofed or not, all things being equal it’s still in proof. However, as the choke barrel diameter has been scrubbed out that does provide a clue as to why it could have been. With the now increasing possibility of the use of steel shot I’d be inclined to spend a couple of quid just to have a ‘Smith run a gauge down it. But that’s just me and  it doesn’t pay for us plebs to meddle in the black arts.

Since the opening post it is now with a gunsmith for stock changes. Barrels were measured and gauged. The conclusion was that it is choked 1/4 and 5/8ths

as regards steel, in 5 years time I’ll be 84 and such matters will not worry me.  Never having had a sxs this was an impulse buy. Tidy gun and happy with my decision.

15 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Since the opening post it is now with a gunsmith for stock changes. Barrels were measured and gauged. The conclusion was that it is choked 1/4 and 5/8ths

as regards steel, in 5 years time I’ll be 84 and such matters will not worry me.  Never having had a sxs this was an impulse buy. Tidy gun and happy with my decision.

The barrels are the right way around, the chokes are ideal and late is always better than never. Nice one, enjoy. Re the 5 years, I’m the same age and also intend to fill my boots as much as is possible.