Windy Day

bunny_blaster

I shot a field of rape today that I spotted late last weekend. This block of ground is a pain to shoot with footpaths round most of it and where there isn’t a footpath the public just walk where they want anyway. I’d watched this ground twice during the week and it had a nice steady line coming to it. The field I shot was big but the birds made for a group of trees and this is where I set up, the only problem was, I had the wind and sun in my face all day but it’s where the pigeons wanted to be. The birds came in from behind and straight into the decoys but the wind was that strong that as soon as you had the first shot the birds were off or went straight towards the sun which made the second shot difficult. It slowed down after a couple of hours and in the last 2 hours I only shot 5 birds. I finished the day with 52 pigeons. I also tried out some new 24g 6 steel and I was really pleased with how they performed.

E0982441-F05A-4AA3-A46A-B03E155BDD52.jpeg

325D8364-576C-412F-B36C-4FEF6E8A8F74.jpeg

:yahoo: At last someone found and shot some pigeons, was a perfect day for it, well done. :good:

Talking about where you had to setup, have you every tried setting up out in the open field so you can get the sun and wind at your back?

Edited by old'un

11 minutes ago, old'un said:

:yahoo: At last someone found and shot some pigeons, was a perfect day for it, well done. :good:

Talking about where you had to setup, have you every tried setting up out in the open field so you can get the sun and wind at your back?

I’ve set up in the middle 100’s of times but unfortunately today I would of been shooting towards the footpath which was rather busy

Yep, done it a few times myself, suprising how well it works.

That's the only problem with weekends, bloody walkers, I am retired and only do week days so not so much of a problem.

I see you have a quad bike, been thinking about getting one myself for those long walks, not as young as I used to-be.

Well done B-B, was a good day for you !!

Your RC (Italian) steel carts are 2.79mm, which equates to a UK 5 (2.8mm), so giving you a bit more impact on the birds ?  But they did a good job for you !!  I have read over the past year or 2 (pending steel loads for game) that we need to go up about 2 shot sizes in steel to get the same impact on the bird that equates to an English lead size.  Haven't tried too many steel yet, but have a shoot coming up soon where I will need to use steel, so will see.  I have got a slab of  Dark Storm 32gm / 3 for the high pheasants, so will see how they go !!!

Nick

Well done BB at least you have found some to shoot, with the forecast of slightly colder weather to come perhaps they will start on the rape if the acorns are frozen to the ground in the woods. Your a right “ Tackle Tart” always changing calibres, 12, 410, 28 and cartridges. Can someone lend him a 9mm garden gun??????

At long last a lovely bag of Pigeons have been shot on rape , while our Pigeons are feeding on Ivy berries and the last of the acorns I fear it will be a site longer before they start attacking the o s r .

With P C now having a rest :lol: , we now look at you for the up to date reports on this mad game of Pigeon shooting .

GOOD LUCK and THANKS for posting       MM 

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Yep, done it a few times myself, suprising how well it works.

That's the only problem with weekends, bloody walkers, I am retired and only do week days so not so much of a problem.

I see you have a quad bike, been thinking about getting one myself for those long walks, not as young as I used to-be.

I wouldn’t be without my quad now. It would of been a long walk if I didn’t have it today

1 hour ago, stockybasher said:

Well done B-B, was a good day for you !!

Your RC (Italian) steel carts are 2.79mm, which equates to a UK 5 (2.8mm), so giving you a bit more impact on the birds ?  But they did a good job for you !!  I have read over the past year or 2 (pending steel loads for game) that we need to go up about 2 shot sizes in steel to get the same impact on the bird that equates to an English lead size.  Haven't tried too many steel yet, but have a shoot coming up soon where I will need to use steel, so will see.  I have got a slab of  Dark Storm 32gm / 3 for the high pheasants, so will see how they go !!!

Nick

I wouldn’t worry about going up shot sizes. Both myself and PC have used 1000’s of steel 7’s and 7.5’s to great effect.

27 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, well done, 👍 those cartridges look interesting, I cannot see any local for sale, 

To be honest I only bought them for my Mrs to use as even the 28gr 5’s I normally use knock her about a bit. I just used them today to see what they were like