Back door steps & path

mgsontour

I'm going to build some new steps to our back door ( 3 of them ) in a semi-circle/half moon design onto a path of which I have a blank canvass to start but looking for some ideas from the PW fountain of knowledge and experience of how to go about the job and how to make it look a little different but not too far fetched. . . . . Look forward to seeing what you come up with and thanks in advance

15 minutes ago, ditchman said:

just an idea........all the slabs for the steps ...use bull-nose edged slabs....there is nothing worse than bangin your head/knees/ shins wether they belong to you....children ...grandchildren...on a step that has a 90deg sharp edge .............

That's certainly one to remember, thanks

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, how about shuttering, I would not use concrete, something like sharp sand and pea gravel, you could colour each step 

Without being stupid, how would it become solid if no concrete is used? but certainly like the different coloured steps!

49 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Have the slabs overhanging a bit and fit led strips or lights under them to light up each step

Yep, like that

29 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Without being stupid, how would it become solid if no concrete is used? but certainly like the different coloured steps!

Yep, like that

Hello, you do not need concrete to make steps, trying to tamp down with large pebbles 🤔, sharp sand and pea gravel for a small area and it takes no weight, you can still tamp down but do not get to wet, just enough to trowel off, start with bottom level , 2nd and top, you can do the shuttering with ply wood 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, you do not need concrete to make steps, trying to tamp down with large pebbles 🤔, sharp sand and pea gravel for a small area and it takes no weight, you can still tamp down but do not get to wet, just enough to trowel off, start with bottom level , 2nd and top, you can do the shuttering with ply wood 

Sounds interesting, thank you

If you go for bullnose steps you need to make them 450mm + deep. On short steps with a bullnose finish, you will place your foot on the curve of the bullnose which will cause your foot to tip forwards making it feel very uncomfortable.

The best depth for step length is 600mm.

Curved fronted steps are the most challenging to create and you'll find it almost impossible to create semi circle shaped steps. Gently curved with straight sides is the way to go.

To really help with a design, the width, height and going (depth) measurements are needed 👍

The height being your paving/grass level to the door step level.

22 hours ago, JKD said:

If you go for bullnose steps you need to make them 450mm + deep. On short steps with a bullnose finish, you will place your foot on the curve of the bullnose which will cause your foot to tip forwards making it feel very uncomfortable.

The best depth for step length is 600mm.

Curved fronted steps are the most challenging to create and you'll find it almost impossible to create semi circle shaped steps. Gently curved with straight sides is the way to go.

To really help with a design, the width, height and going (depth) measurements are needed 👍

The height being your paving/grass level to the door step level.

Aaaah, OK. Makes sense so might make them rectangle as know dog boxes are far easier square/rectangle rather than making them curved to fit snugly if you get me.

19 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Aaaah, OK. Makes sense so might make them rectangle as know dog boxes are far easier square/rectangle rather than making them curved to fit snugly if you get me.

Steps can actually be a nice feature if designed well. Slightly curved fronted steps can look great and the curve softens the look. You can also make the steps wider below the top one and put plant pots (or whatever) either side.

150 -180mm is a good height for each step if that fits your measurements.

I've seen some awful steps in my time and they actually made me wince 😖😂

2 minutes ago, JKD said:

Steps can actually be a nice feature if designed well. Slightly curved fronted steps can look great and the curve softens the look. You can also make the steps wider below the top one and put plant pots (or whatever) either side.

150 -180mm is a good height for each step if that fits your measurements.

I get you sir and agree totally. At 150-180mm I would need 3 steps and like the idea of 'slightly curved' as I like subtle designs

10 hours ago, JKD said:

Oh dear JKD, I wondered why you looked disapprovingly at my amateurish attempt of two rough slabs set on a layer of bricks when at my front door a year or so ago. I would have welcomed any constructive (see what I did there) criticism and wouldn’t have been offended.🤣

OB 

27 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Oh dear JKD, I wondered why you looked disapprovingly at my amateurish attempt of two rough slabs set on a layer of bricks when at my front door a year or so ago. I would have welcomed any constructive (see what I did there) criticism and wouldn’t have been offended.🤣

OB 

Who, me sir? No sir, not me sir !!! 😂

Don't remember any step on my fleeting visit,,,, and wouldn't remember much of anything from that long ago 🤭🤣