Muzzle Loaders

Feltwad

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

Not much interest in the percussion single barrel antique shotguns several not sold 

Feltwad

I keep being reminded by these threads that I have a muzzle loader (on my SGC and fully usable) but have never got round to it.  Another 'thing' on the long list.

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I keep being reminded by these threads that I have a muzzle loader (on my SGC and fully usable) but have never got round to it.  Another 'thing' on the long list.

If it is on your SGC it is time you shot  it and removed those cob webs from the bore .

Feltwad

I will give you that! Unfortunately i dont own a flintlock yet, all my muzzleloading has been done with percussion guns.

I started with a horrible quality Indian 12g bengal carbine, that went long ago, then a pedersoli double, that shot well but had the fault that its nipples were angled outwards, this meant a significant portion of the cap explosion was diverted out & down the side of the gun, If your hand was far back on the fore end your wrist got blasted.                   Got rid of that & got a Navy arms, much stronger & better made gun & still got it. Also shot a bland 9bore live pigeon gun for some years. I picked up a Williams 6 bore live pigeon gun a few years ago, its bore is perfect so i think i might have to bring that one back into service for a while!

7 hours ago, Keith 66 said:

I will give you that! Unfortunately i dont own a flintlock yet, all my muzzleloading has been done with percussion guns.

I started with a horrible quality Indian 12g bengal carbine, that went long ago, then a pedersoli double, that shot well but had the fault that its nipples were angled outwards, this meant a significant portion of the cap explosion was diverted out & down the side of the gun, If your hand was far back on the fore end your wrist got blasted.                   Got rid of that & got a Navy arms, much stronger & better made gun & still got it. Also shot a bland 9bore live pigeon gun for some years. I picked up a Williams 6 bore live pigeon gun a few years ago, its bore is perfect so i think i might have to bring that one back into service for a while!

It is not so much the nipples it is more the hammers  which  are not hitting the nipple square on or the hammer nose is not deep enough, on originals this will happen when the hammer nose skirt is  worn away through constant use . If this happens it is best to have on  a wrist guard  because cap burns become embedded in your skin like a tattoo

Feltwad

3 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

It is not so much the nipples it is more the hammers  which  are not hitting the nipple square on or the hammer nose is not deep enough, on originals this will happen when the hammer nose skirt is  worn away through constant use . If this happens it is best to have on  a wrist guard  because cap burns become embedded in your skin like a tattoo

Feltwad

Good advice. I always shoot percussion wearing safety glasses and shooting mits. Have had a piece of cap buried in the back of the hand and a pal with a piece in his cheek bone!

• 1 month later...

I was at Cluny yesterday and noticed right away there was something different about the reports coming from the skeet range.
It turned out MLAGB were visiting for one of their competition days.
I'd never seen muzzle loaders actually being shot before and hung around for 30mins or so just watching.
They were a friendly bunch and a couple of them chatted to me and showed me their guns - most of them from the 1850s.
One of the shooters was a lady called Claire and she invited myself and a young lad about 13 yo to come over and gave us a demonstration of the loading process.
She also offered me a few shots once the competition was finished but unfortunately I couldn't hang around that long.
I'm glad I happened to be there at the same time as them - it was great to see and hear these old guns in action.

Shame that most shooting grounds ban black powder shooters. I have five clay ground within easy distance, only one will accept the black stuff. Not all on noise but silly excuses, upsets other shooters, dont like the smoke etc. Cant really understand this as I never get any complaints when i  shoot at Lakeside, quite the opposite with folk asking questions and begging a go. It also amazes me when  some dedicated clay shooters appear to know nothing about shooting history. I unfortunately could not get to the sale due to family illness.

Edited by DUNKS

On 21/05/2023 at 18:19, serrac said:

I was at Cluny yesterday and noticed right away there was something different about the reports coming from the skeet range.
It turned out MLAGB were visiting for one of their competition days.
I'd never seen muzzle loaders actually being shot before and hung around for 30mins or so just watching.
They were a friendly bunch and a couple of them chatted to me and showed me their guns - most of them from the 1850s.
One of the shooters was a lady called Claire and she invited myself and a young lad about 13 yo to come over and gave us a demonstration of the loading process.
She also offered me a few shots once the competition was finished but unfortunately I couldn't hang around that long.
I'm glad I happened to be there at the same time as them - it was great to see and hear these old guns in action.

That would be  Claire and Martin of the MLAGB   who arrange for the M LAGB  different shoots in  parts of the UK including ScotlandHope it was a good day .

Feltwad

8 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Over 40 years ago I was at a Country fair near Abercrave,where they had a muzzle loader and a clay trap.It was have a go for £1 I think,so I couldn’t resist.They said I was the first one that day to hit the clay!

6ABF514D-6558-41CF-A51F-B833EF90C10E.jpeg

It is now a dying  exhibit  at country and game fair , mostly the cost and  people to run them also  black powder is not allowed at most fairs it upsets' the local exhibits

Feltwad

12 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I would say to any body on here, rifle shooter, clay shooter, pistol shooter or whatever. Make a point of joining in with your local MLAGB . Its not expensive, its a stonking amount of fun and their legal defence team is way ahead of other associations.

Not the organisation  like it used to be when I joined  only the three principles plus cannon that you mentioned if these are your interest

Feltwad

On 29/05/2023 at 20:02, Feltwad said:

It is now a dying  exhibit  at country and game fair , mostly the cost and  people to run them also  black powder is not allowed at most fairs it upsets' the local exhibits

Feltwad

I cannot understand why  black powder shooters should not be welcome at any form of country event unless it is the dreaded health and safety brigade interfering again . I am an engineer and find it difficult to stand beside a steam engine boiler as I know the carnage a boiler explosion causes ,so why all the nonsence about black powder. Clouds of smoke and noise are surely an exageration . 

There are several reasons why Black Powder   not allowed at country fairs or gun clubs. For gun clubs it is the noise and smoke, plus the hold up the line  and a lot of shooters believe that shooting black powder in old hammer guns  with Damascus barrels is dangerous, I have seen shooters walk of the field and complain to the shoot owner if anyone fires a black powder cartridge or use a muzzle loader  or hammer gun 

For the country fairs it is mostly the gun club and shooting organisations  who also run a Have a go  stand including the muzzle loaders  when the public here the boom from a big gun and see the cloud of smoke it  automatically bring the crowds who want to have a go which can keep the loaders  fully occupied ,This does not go down very well with other shooting organisation  which through time  the muzzle loader are given the push , who are the muzzle loaders worse enemy easy his fellow shooters.

Feltwad

When I wrote the previous post i was rather  hoping what I said was correct, although I had doubts. I am afraid you have just confirmined what I suspected and  it fits in with my experiences in various types of gun club for over fifty years. Shooters are becoming less tolerant of others shooting disciplines and interests and this weakens our negotiating position in opposing restrictions on our sport.

On 05/06/2023 at 15:49, Feltwad said:

There are several reasons why Black Powder   not allowed at country fairs or gun clubs. For gun clubs it is the noise and smoke, plus the hold up the line  and a lot of shooters believe that shooting black powder in old hammer guns  with Damascus barrels is dangerous, I have seen shooters walk of the field and complain to the shoot owner if anyone fires a black powder cartridge or use a muzzle loader  or hammer gun 

For the country fairs it is mostly the gun club and shooting organisations  who also run a Have a go  stand including the muzzle loaders  when the public here the boom from a big gun and see the cloud of smoke it  automatically bring the crowds who want to have a go which can keep the loaders  fully occupied ,This does not go down very well with other shooting organisation  which through time  the muzzle loader are given the push , who are the muzzle loaders worse enemy easy his fellow shooters.

Feltwad

EXACTLY!