Hornady 53gn .223 Superformance Light Primer Strike Issue

Two out of the first seven rounds out of a new box of Hornady 53gn .223 Superformance have failed to fire.

The first failure was whist zeroing my latest purchase which is a S/H CZ .223 with the third of six rounds round failing, this round did fire without issue after reloading it a short while later.

I stripped and cleaned the bolt after zeroing just to make sure all was well in that department and put the issue down to the rifle perhaps having not been cleaned or serviced prior to sale but nothing obvious at fault.

The second failure was last night whilst out with the first shot of the evening resulting in yet another  "click" rather than the expected result, ejected round after a couple of seconds and managed to get second shot off on target so not a total failure.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with Hornady 53gn .223 Superformance, all of those that fired OK along with the last one that didn't (top row L/H still live) are shown in image attached but wouldn't say that they were exactly light strikes.

20230410_095641.jpg.1963adb28cc671be6dc90bb538f2d05d.jpg

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well it looks like the gun is doing its bit, wonder if there is a batch with "hard" primers?

I wondered that also, I have had issues previously with shotgun carts where one of my guns, which is an old 1970's Browning, does not like certain brands and pierces the soft primers which proves interesting out in the field when firing pin refuses to retract under its own steam but never with centre fire rounds, I used to home load for pistols way back when we could and probably shot a fair few thousand of those.

Only bought the one box of Hornady to trial along side others so will see how we get on, I plan on using the remainder of this box up on targets as don't want to be working with unreliable rounds when out chasing charlie, need to pick a couple of more brands up to trial also.

Look up "Hard primers", by me on Dec 21st 2021, on the very same issue, ( can't seem to copy and paste ).

I had one while zeroing and one that cost me a fox.

This out of a brand new Sauer 100, which has fired about 200 rounds.

Then on Saturday just gone using 55g Hornady Varmint, another miss fire, cost me another fox.

Stupid me though, I've just bought more 53g and 55g. Now £30 a box. Any more misfires and I'll be changing brands. My confidence in Hornady is dropping fast.

Let me know if you have any more, I intend to e-mail Hornady to see what they have to say, wonder if they would admit if there were primer problems.

I think Federal 53g use same heads supplied by Hornady, but don't know if primers are same.

37 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

Look up "Hard primers", by me on Dec 21st 2021, on the very same issue, ( can't seem to copy and paste ).

I had one while zeroing and one that cost me a fox.

This out of a brand new Sauer 100, which has fired about 200 rounds.

Then on Saturday just gone using 55g Hornady Varmint, another miss fire, cost me another fox.

Stupid me though, I've just bought more 53g and 55g. Now £30 a box. Any more misfires and I'll be changing brands. My confidence in Hornady is dropping fast.

Let me know if you have any more, I intend to e-mail Hornady to see what they have to say, wonder if they would admit if there were primer problems.

I think Federal 53g use same heads supplied by Hornady, but don't know if primers are same.

Looks like we both are experiencing the same, off to see if I can a date of manufacture on the box

I don't suspect this being a rifle issue now as stripped the bolt again and everything mechanically clean and sound

11 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

I'll find the same info and post in a day or two.

Email request sent to Hornady via their contact page along with details and images etc. requesting date of manufacture of lot and requesting if they can confirm if any other reports have been received regarding same issue of misfires and if they can offer an explanation as to what may cause such issues if the firearm is not at fault as appears to be the case here.

Got a reply from Hornady earlier

"Thank you for the email. This lot is a 2022 lot. We do not have anything noted under this lot. We can send you a box for the inconvenience. What is a good address to send this too."

Don't think they picked up on that I mentioned that I am in the UK, have suggested perhaps not a good idea as there are restrictions in place regards shipping of live ammunition overseas on both sides of the pond.....

Nice offer but not conclusive, will see how the remainder of the box goes once I can get out

Edited by Keith RW

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well at least they have replied.

I didn't expect them not to, they appear to run a pretty good online support system which should be the case where ammunition and firearms are concerned, just shows how different the system operates in the US with just popping a box in the post... that said the probably have to use appropriate methods of shipment, don't think UPS accept live ammo over there.

Both of these rounds were loaded with DOD or Mil. Spec. primers like the CCI #41. This means the primer cups are thicker to prevent the slam firing in a AR style rifle. Thanks

Well above is the reply I got from Hornady.

So, is the firing pin of a bolt action man enough to use this ammo ? 

I just looked at my recently bought 53g and 55g comparing them to older ones there does seem a visual difference.

I know nothing about primers, but the older seems a bigger size and flatter to the inner part of the primer, while the newer seems to have a smaller and chamfered edge to the inner part of the primer.

Perhaps they run out of one type and have to use the other during a production run.

Hopefully the newer ones will all go bang.

8 hours ago, 30-6 said:

8 hours ago, 30-6 said:

I just looked at my recently bought 53g and 55g comparing them to older ones there does seem a visual difference.

I know nothing about primers, but the older seems a bigger size and flatter to the inner part of the primer, while the newer seems to have a smaller and chamfered edge to the inner part of the primer.

Perhaps they run out of one type and have to use the other during a production run.

Hopefully the newer ones will all

Primers are quite variable, different brands are all slightly different sizes and take different force to set them off. I run a light bolt spring in one of my target rifles and that will only reliably set off Federal primers, CCI it often struggles with. 

A stronger firing pin spring may work but I doubt it would be worth the effort if you can get hold of something designed for the UK market.

As for handling miss fires / hang fires I was taught to wait ten seconds and then open the bolt with a flat hand to nudge it open, i.e. ensure there's no part of your hand that would be hit if the round went off. Obviously ensure there is no one behind you.

I wouldnt argue with someone who wanted to wait longer than that but I've never seen a hang fire after several years shooting on a range with plenty of others using all sorts of ammo.

Edited by Windswept

On 10/04/2023 at 11:50, Keith RW said:

Two out of the first seven rounds out of a new box of Hornady 53gn .223 Superformance have failed to fire.

The first failure was whist zeroing my latest purchase which is a S/H CZ .223 with the third of six rounds round failing, this round did fire without issue after reloading it a short while later.

I stripped and cleaned the bolt after zeroing just to make sure all was well in that department and put the issue down to the rifle perhaps having not been cleaned or serviced prior to sale but nothing obvious at fault.

The second failure was last night whilst out with the first shot of the evening resulting in yet another  "click" rather than the expected result, ejected round after a couple of seconds and managed to get second shot off on target so not a total failure.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with Hornady 53gn .223 Superformance, all of those that fired OK along with the last one that didn't (top row L/H still live) are shown in image attached but wouldn't say that they were exactly light strikes.

20230410_095641.jpg.1963adb28cc671be6dc90bb538f2d05d.jpg

I’m currently working through my second box of this ammo and so far everyone has been faultless, also very effective on fox. 

I was really happy with them, was going to go and buy 300 and fill my allowance. 

The brass however does seem very dirty but it ain’t a beauty contest, they kill fox stone dead. 

7 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

I am not trying to start a row but as a safety issue you should not eject any round that has misfired for at least a couple of minuets as they can go off up to a minute later  even if it costs you your target species 

No problem and thanks for the advice, I'm not an expert with regards to how log is long enough but its the same with shotgun misfires, I always wait a while, not minutes, before ejecting a duff cartridge and then give it a wide berth before attempting to discharge it again so as to get shut of it or disposing by other means, most advice is to wait at least 30 seconds in case of a hang fire.

Just received a second reply from Hornady with suggestions as to what the issue maybe and basically all of which have already been mentioned or covered.

Cant fault them for getting back and following this up.

"They could be hard primers. Its hard to say by just looking at the photo. The primers could of been duds. The firing pin strike could of been light. You could of had a slow strike on the primer would make the dent deep enough by not have the quick snap need to make it go off. I will forward this on to our international manager and see if there is someone in your area that we can work with to help you out."

Hi Keith RW,

It seems they like you more than me. LOL

Just had a reply for my second email to them, and they just said my 55g missfire was a "small rifle primer ", while my 53g was a " dod " primer which is harder. They added a stronger and faster pin strike could be needed. So just get on with it basically.

If anyone from Hornady does make contact with you, can you please contact me so I can give him my experience.