Question regarding FAC grant firearm type

Cobbers

I have just put in my FAC application for use on private farmland for vermin control.  The Land is approved for .22

I have requested that the type of .22 rifle to be acquired is a semi-auto. 
My question is will this be likely to be granted for vermin control? 

My main reasonings for choosing a semi auto is that whilst I will be using the rifle for pest control, I will also be using it for target shooting at a club that I am not yet a full member of and therefore the rifle will be used for both once I have sorted the variation to allow target shooting. 

I would rather not have to buy a .22 bolt action for vermin and then another semi auto for target shooting, hence the preference for a “one size fits all” gun.

If anyone could shed any light on this , I’d be grateful. 
thanks! 

7 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

Of course it will and more to the point you don't need to detail the action type of the application.

Thanks! 
although in the online application it asked to specify what calibre and type (bolt action etc) would be used on the land. 

but glad to hear I should have no issues. 

would it be proper to mention to the FEO about my current probationary membership at a shooting club and my intentions to shoot there once a full member? 

Type, in your case, means rifle. Action is not required and does not need to be specified on the application and should not be confused with "type". This allows you to request a .22 RF rifle and then chose which action you fancy when you go to buy one. Bolt action, semi auto action or single shot action as an example.

How long before you become a member of the club? If the application has only just gone you may be able to amend it to include the club. 

Did you also apply for a sound moderator? If not it would be worth seeing if one could be added to your application. 

Depending on how busy your force is the FEOs can be very helpful with questions.

Depending on what target shooting you do you may find two rifles to be more suitable anyway. If you just get a semi-auto be aware that some can be a bit fussy on ammunition, especially expanding.

Just now, Windswept said:

How long before you become a member of the club? If the application has only just gone you may be able to amend it to include the club. 

Did you also apply for a sound moderator? If not it would be worth seeing if one could be added to your application. 

Depending on how busy your force is the FEOs can be very helpful with questions.

Depending on what target shooting you do you may find two rifles to be more suitable anyway. If you just get a semi-auto be aware that some can be a bit fussy on ammunition, especially expanding.

I’ve technically been a probationary member for around a year total, however initially went 90% through my probation before the lockdowns commenced, then I took it up again around 10 months later, having to start my probation again only to get a few months in before we had our first child, scuppering personal plans for a while. 
Now I’m getting back into it but need to start the whole process again so have just started probation. 

Speaking with my local FEO, he advises current fac grants are around 4 weeks, so I’ll likely just put in for a variation for target shooting at the end of my 6 month probation. 

4 minutes ago, Windswept said:

Your lucky its only a few weeks. I would have thought it would help your application if you mention your membership of a club, the FEO should know the club and they will be reassured other people have seen you shoot.

Great, thanks for the advice. 
And to your previous comment, yes, I have also put in for a sound moderator for the vermin control.

Ammo quantity I have put at 1000.

see any issue with that? 

Ammo quantity seems to depend on your force and individual FEO. There is general guidance which you can look at and that provides some reasons for higher amounts. Worth noting that bulk buying is not a good reason.

If you are using the rifle for target shooting as well as vermin then you are likely to need two different types, expanding and non expanding. I also use different ammo for different types of target shooting.

This might just reflect my age (old) but what sort of club are you in regarding its activities? Only ask as for anything requiring accuracy normally involves (involved) single shot or bolt action. Wanting just the one gun for field and range? Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, think Weihrauch HW66JM - Weihrauch seem flavour of the month currently.

1 minute ago, wymberley said:

This might just reflect my age (old) but what sort of club are you in regarding its activities? Only ask as for anything requiring accuracy normally involves (involved) single shot or bolt action. Wanting just the one gun for field and range? Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, think Weihrauch HW66JM - Weihrauch seem flavour of the month currently.

My thoughts too regarding the action type accuracy.

4 minutes ago, Cobbers said:

The club partakes in a selection of target shooting. Mainly gallery rifle and practical rifle, of which quick repetitive shots are required. A bolt action won’t be suitable for this type of shooting. 

TBH I half thought I saw that coming which is why I posted.

There all sorts of target shooting. At our club we don't do the high precision single shot .22 shooting. We run gallery rifle comps which are very common in the UK. Many of these comps need something that can fire say 2 shots in 3 seconds or 6 shots in 8, so .22 semi-autos are normally used. We also run practical matches which often requires something like 20+ shots against the clock on multiple targets. 

15 minutes ago, Windswept said:

There all sorts of target shooting. At our club we don't do the high precision single shot .22 shooting. We run gallery rifle comps which are very common in the UK. Many of these comps need something that can fire say 2 shots in 3 seconds or 6 shots in 8, so .22 semi-autos are normally used. We also run practical matches which often requires something like 20+ shots against the clock on multiple targets. 

Out of interest what club do you shoot at? 

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

I think you're going to need a bigger two guns. 

There will hopefully be room for much more ! 😀 

but initially, all of the rifles I have used at the club have been .22 semi autos which are run most commonly for the above disciplines. Mainly ruger 10/22.

they do however shoot .44 mag lever actions, and I have my eye on a rather tasty marlin that will no doubt end up in my cabinet once I’m a full member 😀

regarding quantity of ammo, I was shooting at a rifle club and they allowed the purchase of 5000 .22LR rounds and storage of up to 6000 on my certificate. The reason was that they allow for people batch testing ammunition. Typically members of the club would go to the Eley factory and test ammo from different batches, some being better suited than others for your rifle. Once a batch was identified as giving the best groups a purchase was made from that batch.

I also had a sporting rifle so was allowed to buy a quantity of hollow-point ammunition