pcp hand pump question

old'un

21 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

this,

tell ebay youve contacted the seller and they are only offering you solutions out side ofthe terms of service of ebay. they will refund you pretty much straight away and they will just draw the funds back of the seller.  can do the same via paypal if you used them too

yep, I am giving them till tomorrow and have asked for a replacement or full refund, the best is and from an engineering point it looks well made.

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

the best is and from an engineering point it looks well made.

ive found over the past 10 years or so chinese manufacturing and products have suprised me. ive bought allot of stuff cheap estimating to get a year or 2 out of them that are still powering on.

Edited by Sweet11-87

I bought the same type of pump a few years ago, and got exactly the same result as yourself. After , contacting the seller , I received 

a similar response, which I refused to accept. I contacted ebay, who'd response was to return it to the vendor as per their returns policy.

And there the story ends, because , I got the same pump back after three months, with the same problem. I gave it to a mate to pump up

his kids soccer team balls. 

I've had a Hills pump for two years, used it thousands of times for top ups, and not a single problem. 

I hope you get a better result then I did.

1 hour ago, Longbower said:

I bought the same type of pump a few years ago, and got exactly the same result as yourself. After , contacting the seller , I received 

a similar response, which I refused to accept. I contacted ebay, who'd response was to return it to the vendor as per their returns policy.

And there the story ends, because , I got the same pump back after three months, with the same problem. I gave it to a mate to pump up

his kids soccer team balls. 

I've had a Hills pump for two years, used it thousands of times for top ups, and not a single problem. 

I hope you get a better result then I did.

The latest email is a little confusing but I think he is saying he will send a new pump from China or I can purchase another one from their ebay store with a 35% discount, well I think that is what he is saying, any thoughts???

my last email to them;

1, either replace the pump, or 2, a full refund and I will return the pump.

Their reply;

Dear friend,
Thanks for your email and sorry for this inconvenience.
Our all of parts will be issued from China warehouse.
It will take 14-21 business days to your hand.
Could you pls wait?
If you don’t want to wait, you can buy the part locally or online.
and we will give you 35% as compensation.
What's your decision?
Waiting for your reply.
Thank you for your understanding.
Best regards,

My thoughts are , if you can afford it cut your losses and time lost . 
Leave him a really carp review . And buy a Hills , and they do come up secondhand .

As my brother (who is a sanctimonious pirk), said “what did you expect for £40?).

It depends how much time you have ?
Ki decided life's to short  .

11 minutes ago, Longbower said:

My thoughts are , if you can afford it cut your losses and time lost . 
Leave him a really carp review . And buy a Hills , and they do come up secondhand .

As my brother (who is a sanctimonious pirk), said “what did you expect for £40?).

It depends how much time you have ?
Ki decided life's to short  .

Well I have requested a return and refund and marked it as faulty, we will see what happens.

Having said before, that from an engineering point it is well made, might just be a one off, I know its made in China but so are a lot of other things we buy, Hawk Scopes for one.

Well after a number of emails and a request by me for the pump to be returned the seller offered me a refund of £32 and I can keep the pump, so I accepted and the payment was made to my paypal account, well I thought the whip is better than the one I have and comes with quick coupling connectors, so its cost me a £10.

The pump, me being a tinkerer I took the pump down the shed and completely striped it down to see how it works and if I could see any thing wrong, fortunately it came with a bag of replacement seals and washers, all the seals looked okay but very dry, the last seal was the inlet seal in the top of the pump where the handle is screwed on, taking out the retaining pin a spring fell out but nothing else, pushing a 3mm pin down the inlet hole, and with some force, a round rubber ball popped out, I say round it was more egg shaped and was jammed in the inlet bore, so I replaced this seal, after a complete clean I applied silicon oil to all the seals and moving parts and reassembled the pump, put the blanking plug in the outlet and started pumping, bingo it was holding pressure and pumping, after about 10 minutes it reached 250 bar, plenty enough as my gun only requires 190 bar.

So now I have working pump and a new whip for £10, how long it lasts is another question.

Thanks for all the replies.

23 hours ago, old'un said:

Well after a number of emails and a request by me for the pump to be returned the seller offered me a refund of £32 and I can keep the pump, so I accepted and the payment was made to my paypal account, well I thought the whip is better than the one I have and comes with quick coupling connectors, so its cost me a £10.

The pump, me being a tinkerer I took the pump down the shed and completely striped it down to see how it works and if I could see any thing wrong, fortunately it came with a bag of replacement seals and washers, all the seals looked okay but very dry, the last seal was the inlet seal in the top of the pump where the handle is screwed on, taking out the retaining pin a spring fell out but nothing else, pushing a 3mm pin down the inlet hole, and with some force, a round rubber ball popped out, I say round it was more egg shaped and was jammed in the inlet bore, so I replaced this seal, after a complete clean I applied silicon oil to all the seals and moving parts and reassembled the pump, put the blanking plug in the outlet and started pumping, bingo it was holding pressure and pumping, after about 10 minutes it reached 250 bar, plenty enough as my gun only requires 190 bar.

So now I have working pump and a new whip for £10, how long it lasts is another question.

Was going to reply to this, then deleted it, now idea why it posted this bit.

Edited by manthing

22 hours ago, old'un said:

put the blanking plug in the outlet and started pumping, bingo it was holding pressure and pumping, after about 10 minutes it reached 250 bar, plenty enough as my gun only requires 190 bar.

You should have got to 250 bar in ten strokes not minutes

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:

You should have got to 250 bar in ten strokes not minutes

10 minutes was a guesstimate, it may have been less as I did stop at 200 bar and watched for any pressure drop, I am happy with how long it took to reach 190 bar, if it fails I will look at the Hills pump. :good:

23 hours ago, old'un said:

10 minutes was a guesstimate, it may have been less as I did stop at 200 bar and watched for any pressure drop, I am happy with how long it took to reach 190 bar, if it fails I will look at the Hills pump. :good:

I`ve just checked with mine and 10 strokes = 230bar in about 10 to 12 seconds. Don`t forget you are only filling the microbore hose, once it is connected to the gun and the pressure equalises it will appear you are getting nowhere but gradually the pressure will rise. You must go full strokes from lock to lock if you don`t no pump will work properly even a Hills.

29 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

I`ve just checked with mine and 10 strokes = 230bar in about 10 to 12 seconds. Don`t forget you are only filling the microbore hose, once it is connected to the gun and the pressure equalises it will appear you are getting nowhere but gradually the pressure will rise. You must go full strokes from lock to lock if you don`t no pump will work properly even a Hills.

Blimey, 1 stroke a second, is there no resistance when pumping?

3 hours ago, old'un said:

Blimey, 1 stroke a second, is there no resistance when pumping?

There is but there is a certain technique to be learnt or you will fail to fill the gun, I use the 1 1/2 pumps per shot as a guide to know how much effort I am in for.

20 hours ago, sportsbob said:

There is but there is a certain technique to be learnt or you will fail to fill the gun, I use the 1 1/2 pumps per shot as a guide to know how much effort I am in for.

Is that correct? You say 10 strokes = 230 bar, so that = 7 shots @ approximately 1 ½ pumps per shot.

48 minutes ago, old'un said:

Is that correct? You say 10 strokes = 230 bar, so that = 7 shots @ approximately 1 ½ pumps per shot.

You seem to be confused , you said you  put the blanking plug in the outlet so you are only filling the hose and not the gun that on mine takes ten strokes not 10 minutes. To fill the gun will take hundreds of strokes depending on the cylinder capacity.

Quote " put the blanking plug in the outlet and started pumping, bingo it was holding pressure and pumping, after about 10 minutes it reached 250 bar, "

14 minutes ago, sportsbob said:

You seem to be confused , you said you  put the blanking plug in the outlet so you are only filling the hose and not the gun that on mine takes ten strokes not 10 minutes. To fill the gun will take hundreds of strokes depending on the cylinder capacity.

Quote " put the blanking plug in the outlet and started pumping, bingo it was holding pressure and pumping, after about 10 minutes it reached 250 bar, "

:good:

Never had a problem with the one I have only payed 50 quid on Amazon for it used it for 2 years now and never had to do seals on it , but I never let the guns go down to low as it is hard work after some time but I will say if you can , you should get a pcp compressor I had one on Amazon for 179 quid it is a ticking make and I have the option to use it on a 12volts or on mains power so if you need air on the range and there is power available you can us it or just straight of the car battery if needed never looked back 

• 4 months later...
On 25/04/2023 at 18:24, Ultrastu said:

That pump has failed . Your basically getting an air lock somewhere inside the pump .probably a leaking oring. Return it- you won't be able to fix it .

I and others have tried to fix (with full seal kit ) expensive pumps and not succeeded  .

Actually they are a very easy fix and there is a YouTube video on the subject plus they come with a spare set of seals.  I bought three of these 300 bar pumps over a year ago as my grandsons often borrow my rifles and none of the three has let me down in any way.  They are actually very well built and the easiest pump to use I have ever tried.  Plus they have a water cooling jacket.  For the money they are brilliant but need a larger inline filter than the tiny one fitted.

On 27/04/2023 at 09:03, old'un said:

should there be water inside these pumps?

just unscrewed the top plug (the one that attaches to the handle) looked down the tube and its dry?

Mine are water cooled but there are so many cheap brands on the market now.  Mine were only £30+ and the easiest pump I have used.  Far easier than my fair more expensive FX which I loaned out and er saw again.  No great loss the think was killing me.  I do have a compressor but when my grandsons visit and go off shooting they just take a pump each.