First laid barley.

JDog

We had a truly stupendous thunder storm yesterday evening. I'm not sure how much rain was put down but we had 50mm on our patio.

One field of barley that I have been admiring for some time as being thick and level suffered badly. Pigeons are already showing interest but none are feeding in the crop as yet.

20230613_141204.jpg.c9bb2b8d279cb81a1dd36c5c6a560e1d.jpg

Last year we never had a single stem of barley that got laid due to the continue drought we had , this year the barley fields are looking well and up to now the heavy rains that were forecast passed us by without a drop of rain , we will soon be entering the third the third week in June and this is when the barley start getting milky and would be at it's heavist , this is the time when heavy rain along with a bit of a blow leave the fields looking like the one above , I like shooting over laid barley and the only downside is finding the shot birds , some Pigeon shooters don't like using a dog where I don't mind using mine , still at the moment there is no talk of heavy rain so laid barley could be a while yet , I have got to get my fix on the Peas for now which are now in early stages of flowering .

I love coming upon fields like that following a storm. Had some great days over laid barley in the past, especially when it’s green and milky……if there’s any pigeons in the area I’ll be amazed if you don’t get to shoot over that Jdog! 
Oddly last year we had no laid barley at all which is most unusual.
We didn’t get the same level of storm as you so I’m guessing there won’t be any down yet here either. 

On 13/06/2023 at 21:48, Wilts#Dave said:

I love coming upon fields like that following a storm. Had some great days over laid barley in the past, especially when it’s green and milky……if there’s any pigeons in the area I’ll be amazed if you don’t get to shoot over that Jdog! 
Oddly last year we had no laid barley at all which is most unusual.
We didn’t get the same level of storm as you so I’m guessing there won’t be any down yet here either. 

It's been very still and humid today , they were talking about a Yellow weather warning around these parts for heavy rain and hail with up to 50 mil falling in a short time , I gave the shooting a miss today as there would had been plenty of flies and very little movment , this gave me a chance to check out our Winter barley fields and the result was the same as yours , not a stem down and it was looking good, slightly going off track , in the farming section in todays local paper they were saying the price for this years grain is going to be very , very low which is already causing a concern and the harvest is still 3 to 4 weeks away .