Rifle Shooter mag

30-6

Usually buy the mag from shops, and noticed that the June edition did not have the next editions date to come out in it on the last page, as was usual. July edition has not appeared in shops.

Just phoned the mag and was told it is now a 2 monthly edition. Thought they would have mentioned something to the readership in the June edition that this was happening.

Was in a village shop today and amazed at the cost of the magazines now.

£3.25 Shooting Times

£12 fieldsports 

£6.25 Sporting gun

I didn’t have my glasses so think that is correct pricing.  
I guess the production costs now are sky high hence the prices.

19 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Was in a village shop today and amazed at the cost of the magazines now.

£3.25 Shooting Times

£12 fieldsports 

£6.25 Sporting gun

I didn’t have my glasses so think that is correct pricing.  
I guess the production costs now are sky high hence the prices.

Probably accounts for the freebie clay magazine switching to YouTube. 

Our local WHSmith wouldn't sell any shooting magazines. This was about eight years ago

It's the managers policy I was told. I didn't take it any further. Apparently the managers do have the right to decide.

If that's the case in lots of other branches it would impact on the sales of these magazines. That in turn would affect their advertisers willingness to place adverts.

I know it's the sign of the times, and all things are crazy prices, but at those prices the readership are going to dwindle. They are like any other company struggling to cover costs.

I notice W H Smith's tend to put them now in the lowest shelf they can find. While Tesco seems to have only literally about 2 or 3 copies each month and most newsagents don't stock copies at all.

I do enjoy reading some of them, I know some of the stuff in it is just last year's story using different words, sort of same old same old type of thing, but they do keep you updated on new products. 

Sporting Rifle disappeared, so let's hope what's left can weather the storm.

What really sticks in my gut is, as mentioned above it's the current climate of high prices to survive. But how many shops bow to so called antis views, antis who have just jumped on the bandwagon and don't really know or care what they are supposed to be supporting.

16 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

I know it's the sign of the times, and all things are crazy prices, but at those prices the readership are going to dwindle. They are like any other company struggling to cover costs.

I notice W H Smith's tend to put them now in the lowest shelf they can find. While Tesco seems to have only literally about 2 or 3 copies each month and most newsagents don't stock copies at all.

I do enjoy reading some of them, I know some of the stuff in it is just last year's story using different words, sort of same old same old type of thing, but they do keep you updated on new products. 

Sporting Rifle disappeared, so let's hope what's left can weather the storm.

What really sticks in my gut is, as mentioned above it's the current climate of high prices to survive. But how many shops bow to so called antis views, antis who have just jumped on the bandwagon and don't really know or care what they are supposed to be supporting.

I think magazines will be gone within a few years . Much like vhs and now cd’s

I work in the industry and Input costs have risen dramatically over the last 4 years.

Paper has increased from circa £550 per tonne pre pandemic to between £900-£1300 per tonne now. Along with ink, doubling in price. Annual postage increases etc. Energy costs aren’t helping with electricity and gas costs causing the base cost of production to increase 40-50% then there’s haulage on top, it’s relentless.

It’s a vicious circle, costs increase so publishers reduce the paper quality, number of pages and or frequency along with increasing the cover price and advertising rates. Readership/ad revenue drops and the cycle starts again.

I’ve never seen so many titles reduce frequency or close as there has been over the last 12months. 

10 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Our local WHSmith wouldn't sell any shooting magazines. This was about eight years ago

It's the managers policy I was told. I didn't take it any further. Apparently the managers do have the right to decide.

If that's the case in lots of other branches it would impact on the sales of these magazines. That in turn would affect their advertisers willingness to place adverts.

When I was in university in Aberdeen I used to spend hours in WH Smiths browsing the fishing and shooting magazines  Was a great way to spend a few hours and some of the staff sort of got to know me. They used to laugh when I would come in saying 'Here comes the Irish boy that treats us like a library'