The season begins

Dave at kelton

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I was supposed to be out last weekend on a small day, in place of a mate who couldn’t make it due to work commitments, but turned it down as it always seems to be a hard, midge ridden slog for not a lot of shooting. 🤷‍♂️

Should have said I was picking up so have edited

On 17/08/2023 at 21:05, Dave at kelton said:

Should have said I was picking up so have edited

My mistake, sorry. A mate was flanking on Wemmergill this last week for 80 quid a day. Great for the kids on holiday from school, but not even minimum wage for the rest of us. 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

My mistake, sorry. A mate was flanking on Wemmergill this last week for 80 quid a day. Great for the kids on holiday from school, but not even minimum wage for the rest of us. 🤷‍♂️

Scotland paid even less but I am almost retired so as long as it pays for the dogs for the year I am content. Not many hobbies you get paid for.

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Scotland paid even less but I am almost retired so as long as it pays for the dogs for the year I am content. Not many hobbies you get paid for.

Dave as someone who spends a lot of time - perhaps more than most - are your experiences of biodiversity on the moor positive ?

I get into the Peaks a bit and i would defo say far far more species and amount of birds on the land managed for grouse - but i might go 3/4/5 times a year thats all

10 hours ago, jall25 said:

Dave as someone who spends a lot of time - perhaps more than most - are your experiences of biodiversity on the moor positive ?

I get into the Peaks a bit and i would defo say far far more species and amount of birds on the land managed for grouse - but i might go 3/4/5 times a year thats all

Absolutely. I have done two consecutive days and we have seen all manner of birds including, hen harriers, kites, buzzards, Merlin,  owls and any number of small birds I couldn’t start to identify. There are lapwing and curlew too.  Lying in the Heather yesterday there were hawthorn flies everywhere. One of the big problems are Ravens….everywhere in large numbers and nothing can be done about them.

The Heather this year is better than I have seen for a long time. Whilst July was wet we had a very dry May and June and I was surprised how dry the ground was on top. The hags were as wet as ever. There were bilberries but not as many as I have seen in previous years.

This estate hasn’t done a driven day for the last five seasons so it tells you it’s been a better year for grouse. Even so it was two small days to preserve stocks but we saw plenty of grouse.