Leather and canvas leather gun case

olddogfox

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i do like these canvas and leather cases....

It is a Brady case.
I asked Wisemans about a case for my Wiseman gun. John said, “I will speak to Mr. Brady.”  The case was always used whenever the gun went in the vehicle.
Twenty three years later Wisemans sold the cased gun for me. I had paid £400 secondhand for the gun and the case was £160 (in 1989). We sold the cased gun for £3000 in 2012

2 hours ago, London Best said:

It is a Brady case.
I asked Wisemans about a case for my Wiseman gun. John said, “I will speak to Mr. Brady.”  The case was always used whenever the gun went in the vehicle.
Twenty three years later Wisemans sold the cased gun for me. I had paid £400 secondhand for the gun and the case was £160 (in 1989). We sold the cased gun for £3000 in 2012

knew tom wiseman well....i bought a 243 0ff him it was a tikka..that he bought in the white and deep carved rose and scroll and ivy leaves on the barrell...that had been exibited at a exxibition............he sold several of my rifles when i had a change over.............old school of the best ...like Gallyons

On 18/08/2023 at 15:35, benbobailey said:

Nice cases , but I always found it strange they didn't have the stock retainer strap, as found in the majority of British guncases.

First thing I did and still do with every guncase I've kept to use was detach the bloomin' thing and chuck it away. They are the cause of stocks scratched in the hand. On the right side by the usual woodscrew that fixes them to the case and the left by the buckle.

23 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

First thing I did and still do with every guncase I've kept to use was detach the bloomin' thing and chuck it away. They are the cause of stocks scratched in the hand. On the right side by the usual woodscrew that fixes them to the case and the left by the buckle.

Not if there is a baize patch over the screw or with a canvas and leather, stitched through the case and a leather flap protecting the stock from the buckle. That how I made and fitted my straps 

21 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

I have never had a stock scratched in this manner, I must be lucky.

5 hours ago, London Best said:

My H&H case, made by London Gun Cases, does not have a stock retaining strap. The stock just fits really snugly, such that it will not fall out if the case is turned upside down.

I wouldn't put that to the test too often. Unless case was custom made for that gun you have been extremely fortunate re the snug fit.

4 hours ago, alan123shooting said:

Some people prefer a stock strap, end of the day the customer is always right,  I go with what they want. 

You are correct of course and I do appreciate  and admire many cases with or without!The only case I own that is without a strap is a Churchill vc case, toe under design.

Edited by benbobailey

15 hours ago, London Best said:

Yes, the case was custom made for that gun.

29 minutes ago, alan123shooting said:

Yes they do charge like a wounded Rhino, even more so now Rigby have become involved 

The thing was, I bought the gun (secondhand, obviously!) and it was supplied in a nice enough, non-genuine case which really did not do the gun justice. I managed to sell the case for £150 and bit the bullet and ordered a new one. And a canvas outer.