Steel elbow for 25mm steel box section

Dougy

Does anyone know if you can buy inserts for 25mm steel box section ? i want to add 2 right angles onto a front rest of a high seat so i have rests to each side. The steel is heavy 3mm and the piece im adding is prob 1.5mm SS so will stand the weight of a rest coming off it and i will add some support made of wood at the loose end.

Any help will be appreciated Thanks

steel.jpg

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if you have some more steel box section use that and get the corner welded

I dont have access to welding equipment and would like to take it apart for moving. :good:

1 minute ago, Yellow Bear said:

Spotted them, but dont think they would take much stick, if you could get the same in steel i would definitely be more confident in using them.  

How about key clamp fittings for circular tube.  90 degree bends are available to suit 34mm diameter tube.  Your heavy 25x3 box section would be approx 36mm corner to corner on the diagonal if the corners were dead square, but there is a radius on them so it shoulsdfit into a 34mm bore.  The thinner stainless tube could easily be hammered to suit.  The grub screws would probably need replacing with longer M8 bolts so they protrude into the fittitng further to clamp onro the box sections.  A different approach maybe but i think it would work.

image.png.06048a14623c6e5597e5d7fd275aa0b2.png

I think my approach would be to cut out a triangle and weld so that the new section had a 90 degree bend about 6" along.

Then I would cut across the corners and hammer this opened end onto the outside of your green/existing section, trimming as I go and hammering the open 'petals' flat.
A plumbers gas torch to heat the expaning section would help.
When I was over by around 70mm I would remove the section and 'fill weld' back to square.
Put the new piece where you want it and drill through fitting an M8 bolt to hold it from pulling off.

Flapper wheel back to pretty, paint inside and out.
Job done.

Edited by miki