Advice on driving to Essex.

Westward

No 3 son is moving from a pleasant upmarket suburb in Surrey to the countryside near Maldon with his pregnant wife, daughter and cocker. I know... Why?

Wifey and I live 100 miles west of London and haven't lived in London for 50 years. Every time I look at the M25 traffic it seems there's a problem somewhere causing delays and stuff, so if we follow the sat nav it means 40-ish risky miles on M25 unless we leave home at around 5 am or 8 pm. However it seems that at certain times the North Circular looks like a reasonable option to get from Hanger Lane to Romford, something I did many times in the 70s. It's a lot shorter distance and my car is ULEZ compliant.

Does the PW Massif have any advice on this?

1 hour ago, Westward said:

Yes, it's possible to over-think things.

Try to avoid hitting the M25 at rush hour.

Have food and water with you. Have a pee before you get on if you're over the age of...25.

9 out of 10 times sitting in slow moving traffic on the M25 will still be quicker than messing about on the north circular.

1 hour ago, Westward said:

No 3 son is moving from a pleasant upmarket suburb in Surrey to the countryside near Maldon with his pregnant wife, daughter and cocker. I know... Why?

Not spent much time in Surrey, but it appears to suffer badly from "nothing ruins a place like other people".  Probably get a mansion in Essex for Surrey shoe-box money too.  Question is, has a got any shooting lined up yet?

On 28/08/2023 at 20:27, Westward said:

Wifey and I live 100 miles west of London and haven't lived in London for 50 years. Every time I look at the M25 traffic it seems there's a problem somewhere causing delays and stuff, so if we follow the sat nav it means 40-ish risky miles on M25 unless we leave home at around 5 am or 8 pm. However it seems that at certain times the North Circular looks like a reasonable option to get from Hanger Lane to Romford, something I did many times in the 70s. It's a lot shorter distance and my car is ULEZ compliant.

The easiest, quickest way will be the M25 and then the A12. Off the A12 at the Danbury junction, through Danbury and onto Maldon.

On 30/08/2023 at 01:22, Spr1985 said:

II live in witham which is not far from Maldon and I drive for a living, I’d not touch the 406 with a barge pole, m25 then a12 every time for me 

This is a man worth listening to.

I live near Maldon (Witham) and travel your direction alot through the year. M25 is always a problem but timing is everything, the later you travel the better. Avoid the A12 and use the A13 and A130 its a more pleasant experience and offers better routes in the Maldon area.

Hang on, three contributors from Witham? Do we know each other or shoot near each other?

9 hours ago, Spr1985 said:

@Hedgemonkey let’s be completely honest m25 a12 a13 a130 are all a problem at various parts of the day 🤣🤣

I don’t know any other shooters in witham so unlikely we know each other 

Not a problem, I know quite a few as we have a little syndicate. There may be openings on 500 acre shoot coming up next year if interested.

I live in south essex, my parents used to live in lancashire so i used to visit them often. It was interesting to see the standard of driving degrade the further south we went. From the top of the M11 people started to drive worse & by the time you got to the M25 it had gotten worse still. Then you got to the A127 & it became like death race 2000.

Aah we are home everyone driving like ####s!