To move or not to move

the hitman

Hi folks 

So I have been watching pigeons working a block of 7 stubble fields with no real favoured spot. I know this area and when in doubt I would always choose the only field in the area with 3 beech trees on the western edge.

I went this morning at 10 - and although there were very few about I set up under the beeches. The wind was a south easterly, not ideal as I had the wind almost in my face. First 2 came in were shot and set up on sticks. I spent the next hour watching pigeons trickling onto the adjacent stubble, I decided to move and just as I was taking my hide down, two juvenile sparrow hawks - probably siblings buzzed my decoys then headed off in the direction of the pigeons on the other field- sure enough the pigeons lifted and headed towards my decoys- gun reload and 2 were shot. I had second thoughts moving and set the magnet up. Although pigeons were still going to the other field, I was suddenly getting a good amount of shooting. I was taking birds coming in on the wind above the beeches, the field behind was set a side with waist high thistles so I had to shoot incoming birds further so they would fall in front of the hide. It was good sport today- I had some cracking kills and some head shaking misses. 
I packed up at 4pm with 51 picked and 4 lost in the thistles-all shot with Eley Olympics. I could have stayed for at least another hour, however my days of staying to the bitter end are long gone.

Added bonus that I could drive to the hide so no long haul for my old bones.

215D2AAB-ABD1-46E7-8F0D-2E3756BB83D5.png

You can watch a field at different times of the day and they will favour different areas due to sun and wind. It depends on the times you are shooting.if you build up a good pattern they will decoy all day as they are fooled by the numbers I’ve had fifty decoy’s all fresh at times.

Well done fore your result.

For what I have seen about lately that was an excellent bag Hitman , around these parts there is very little , if any of this years harvest left , our's was all over a week or more before the Bank Holiday so just about every grain , Pea and Bean field have still got some pickings on , rape have been a no no with the seed already green before it was cut and with fresh grain fields opening up every day the Pigeons never touched the cut rape fields .

As for moving once you had already set up ? , this could be another one of those age situations , at one time when I didn't know the various fields like I do know I would often set up in the wrong position , as I wanted as many Pigeons I could get I wouls grin and bear it and up stumps and move to what I would had thought a better position , now I had shot the same fields and the area many times in the past  I would now go after weighing up the wind direction in what I would think is the place to set up , this might not be the most producted place but I have allowed for shade from the heat , looking into the sun and like I said wind direction , as long as I am getting some shooting in comfort then moving lock stock and barrel for the sake of adding a few more in the bag is now no longer considered and I put it down to the older you get the wiser you get :good:

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

For what I have seen about lately that was an excellent bag Hitman , around these parts there is very little , if any of this years harvest left , our's was all over a week or more before the Bank Holiday so just about every grain , Pea and Bean field have still got some pickings on , rape have been a no no with the seed already green before it was cut and with fresh grain fields opening up every day the Pigeons never touched the cut rape fields .

As for moving once you had already set up ? , this could be another one of those age situations , at one time when I didn't know the various fields like I do know I would often set up in the wrong position , as I wanted as many Pigeons I could get I wouls grin and bear it and up stumps and move to what I would had thought a better position , now I had shot the same fields and the area many times in the past  I would now go after weighing up the wind direction in what I would think is the place to set up , this might not be the most producted place but I have allowed for shade from the heat , looking into the sun and like I said wind direction , as long as I am getting some shooting in comfort then moving lock stock and barrel for the sake of adding a few more in the bag is now no longer considered and I put it down to the older you get the wiser you get :good:

Hi MM

The second half of your post just about sums it up nicely.

Years ago the bag was more important to me than it is now . I would still move if I wasn’t getting any shooting, but if I feel that I am being kept busy enough then the thought of moving position is less appealing.

4 hours ago, the hitman said:

Hi MM

The second half of your post just about sums it up nicely.

Years ago the bag was more important to me than it is now . I would still move if I wasn’t getting any shooting, but if I feel that I am being kept busy enough then the thought of moving position is less appealing.

I know exactly what you mean , how many times in the past you have gone full hog and moved not only to another position on the field but an entirely different location , then after a hour of the same or even less action you wondered if it was worth moving at all , the only new location now if I moved would be heading back home and onto my driveway . 😄

Hi hitman l would move to where the pigeons are, or flighting. I don’t use magnets or flappers or heavy batteries , I will use the time and what energy l have to be where they are or under the flight lines. The last three weeks I have shot pigeons flighting to and from standing wheat and just moved with the flight lines. Late afternoon l have used an air rifle and shot pigeons from ash trees or willow trees. I think it’s to much work setting hide lots of decoys and battery machines and then to decide to move or not to another field and starting again. It’s about what works best on the day, or the way different shooters go about shooting pigeons, or areas maybe different.