Blackpowder

The allotment holds two rather splendid red cabbage which I intend to pickle.   A recent purchase of a 5 litre  can of malt vinegar used for beetroot has left me with a surplus.   Most of the recipes on line seem to ask for cider vinegar but I would rather use the malt I have if its suitable.  Anyone got a good home grown recipe with few ingredients?

BLACKPOWDER

our next door neighbor used to do the best pickled cabbage ive ever tasted.....she used malt  and added raisens............noooowwwww....dont quote me on this but i think when she chopped it up...she put it in a bowl over night with a good handful of salt ...this woold draw the moisture out...and in the morning the bottom of the bowl was full of water ....which would be drained off......then quickly run fresh water over the chopped cabbage to wash the salt off ...dry it off with a towel    ....then....into the jars with raisens and malt vinegar....

if you do your pickled onions the same way ....they will NEVER be slimy and always be crunchy............

let us know how you get on 😋

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

but i think when she chopped it up...she put it in a bowl over night with a good handful of salt ...this woold draw the moisture out...and in the morning the bottom of the bowl was full of water ....which would be drained off......then quickly run fresh water over the chopped cabbage to wash the salt off ...dry it off with a towel    ....then....into the jars with raisens and malt vinegar....

That sound like a sound plan.  I made some picked cauliflower and it went a bit like that.

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

our next door neighbor used to do the best pickled cabbage ive ever tasted.....she used malt  and added raisens............noooowwwww....dont quote me on this but i think when she chopped it up...she put it in a bowl over night with a good handful of salt ...this woold draw the moisture out...and in the morning the bottom of the bowl was full of water ....which would be drained off......then quickly run fresh water over the chopped cabbage to wash the salt off ...dry it off with a towel    ....then....into the jars with raisens and malt vinegar....

if you do your pickled onions the same way ....they will NEVER be slimy and always be crunchy............

Cheers many thanks

Recipe I used for cauliflower below;

Ingredients  (Makes one large Kilner jar)

1 whole cauliflower

2 tsp salt

1 pint malt pickling vinegar

100g sugar

1 tsp mustard seeds

1 tsp coriander seeds

1 tsp turmeric

½ tsp cumin seeds

½ tsp chilli flakes

Method

Prep:  6 hours minimum  ›    Cook – 10 min

1.     Break the cauliflower into florets, place in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Cover and leave overnight. The following day, wash well and dry.

2.     Put the spices, sugar and vinegar into a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stir until the sugar has dissolved

Put the cauliflower into a sterilised Kilner® Jar then pour over the warm vinegar until the cauliflower is completely covered. Seal and store for at least 1 week before tasting.

image.png.bb3cd70c09134f60ae19c004c10f29c5.png

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

I always do pickled shallots for Christmas and soak them in water over night, but have not used salt, so will try that this time. Thanks.

OB

I grew a lot of pickling cucumber in the green house this year and last. Followed a Jamie Oliver recipe but just used normal vinegar and they turned out perfect.

I had the dregs of a jar left last year and sliced a cucumber into it and sealed it back up. Within a week it had produced enough gas to expand the lid so much that I couldn't remove it. Never had an issue with the ones I prepared properly.