First of the season

Dave at kelton

I have had a couple of flights in the last couple of weeks but the pinks haven’t played the game being high or wide or both. I had a little time to spare and given the lack of geese in the vicinity had pondered going elsewhere. Trouble with Saturdays is everyone is out so I decided to stay on home ground where I knew it would be quiet. As it was I had the whole Merse to myself. I had dropped into my favoured spot at 6.45 to wait for a flight of some sort but with no goose talk was resigned to another blank.

As the light broke a few parties of barnacles lifted and swirled around the Merse, shellduck made their way across the mud and a few packs of lapwing lifted. Still no sound of any pinks although I could make out a couple of small parties way out on the tideline. It was a case of wait and see until I saw Ben tilt his head to one side and become alert. He often hears or senses geese before me these days. Then I caught the sound of a pink on the wind. Looking cautiously over the lip of the ditch I saw six geese heading straight to me. I just had time to duck down and slip the safety off before they were on me at no height. Sheer reaction and the gun was up and through a pink on the end for a snap shot. It just folded and fell about ten yards behind us. Unfortunately I hadn’t time for a second shot but held from sending Ben as the geese turned and looked for a moment as if they may swing back to the shore. Once it was clear they would not I sent Ben for an easy retrieve.

Despite sitting out another hour nothing came through although Murphy’s Law five minutes after moving 30 geese lifted and headed straight over where I had been laid! At last a positive result and on a warm and dry morning! I was glad I had trusted my instincts and stayed local.

IMG_20231007_072732_resized_20231007_125711216.jpeg

Nice one 👍.  1st 1 in The bag is always extra Nice.  I was a wildfowler on The solway Coast for many years and I can promise You i really  miss it ( Dont live there anymore).  Its defenetly a wild goose chase.. I shot outside a wee town called powfoot with my mate kev and The master and magican as he called himself peter blackburn...  The Pinks and greys are one of The best hunts there is.   Im feeling a bit envious right now  🤢 enjoy The season and get The freezer filled up 👍. Regards les 

23 minutes ago, islandgun said:

great stuff, what gun are using ?

For the first time this season an Akkar triple barrel 12 x 3 1/2”. I used a Benelli for many years but it’s spitting shells all over and you can’t always find them. Aside of plastic pollution I want to reload.

Saving the 8 & 10 until later in the season and will try TSS in the 28 at some point.

A brilliant report and photos to match Dave , you know the season have begun when your first truly wild goose have been bagged , maybe more and more people have the same thoughts as me by making a start later on during the season , this year up to now have really been a non event , I don't no longer chase the early geese about like I used to but I am still down the marsh at least once a day and very often twice just having a look around without my gun , up to now I have only seen two people who were together on what can be a good block of marshes , these two chaps went one Saturday night about three weeks ago during the record September temps , the marshes were bone dry and covered in live stock so I wished them good luck and if anyone needed it then those two blokes did , how things are at the moment with the hot weather I won't be taking my gun now until the clocks change , which won't be that far away .  MM