It's been a bit weird weather wise over her in Co.Offaly, Ireland, but there is a definite increase of wild pheasants, and Partridges ( we have greys here ). but organised game shooting as in the UK, is banned here, so this is a good thing for local hunters.

How's it all going for you lot outside the UK?

2 hours ago, lurcherboy said:

It's been a bit weird weather wise over her in Co.Offaly, Ireland, but there is a definite increase of wild pheasants, and Partridges ( we have greys here ). but organised game shooting as in the UK, is banned here, so this is a good thing for local hunters.

When you say organised game shooting is banned, what do you mean?

I always thought - perhaps wrongly now - that there was driven shooting in Ireland?

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2023 at 20:01, lurcherboy said:

Hello LB ould stock!..... hope you are keeping well?

Have to correct you there.....Organised game shooting is not banned in ireland, plenty of big and small shoots in ireland and smaller syndicates too.

The gun clubs which are pretty much in every parish in the country are the ones that release birds. From what i'm hearing from shooters around the country there are no wild pheasants anymore and its a common theme accross the country, modern farming practices such as the use of pesticides destruction of the envioronment (draining of bogs removal of ditches) and the nitrates quotas have been dethremental to the wild bird population. I think the pheasants that you are seeing may well be released birds.

The Green party being in coalition in the government in Ireland and having a Green Minister for the Envioronment who is a self proclaimed animal rights activist has been an absolute disaster for the countryside.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2023 at 15:35, deeksofdoom said:

Hello LB ould stock!..... hope you are keeping well?

Have to correct you there.....Organised game shooting is not banned in ireland, plenty of big and small shoots in ireland and smaller syndicates too.

The gun clubs which are pretty much in every parish in the country are the ones that release birds. From what i'm hearing from shooters around the country there are no wild pheasants anymore and its a common theme accross the country, modern farming practices such as the use of pesticides destruction of the envioronment (draining of bogs removal of ditches) and the nitrates quotas have been dethremental to the wild bird population. I think the pheasants that you are seeing may well be released birds.

The Green party being in coalition in the government in Ireland and having a Green Minister for the Envioronment who is a self proclaimed animal rights activist has been an absolute disaster for the countryside.

I stand corrected Deeks. I haven't seen or heard of any formal shooting here. On the plus side Bird Na mona are refolding all the bogs around me. There is a wild Partridge protection site based around Lough Boora and they are in the process of setting up another at Roscore. Most of the bogs around me have had all the railway tracks removed and there are lots of ' NO SHOOTING' signs in place. I will have to make some enquiries and see what I can get in to. Hope you and family are well.

Thanks for the video old'un, I enjoyed that :)

LB