Doctors medical form fac renewal.

Green hornet

There seems to be a lot of variation In what a GP will charge for the medical forms to be filled.

I handed mine In yesterday and got a call today to pay £40.50 which seems very reasonable considering the prices I've seen people charged.

I honestly can't see how this would help with public safety though as we already have a firearms marker with the gp To report any issues.

7 hours ago, Green hornet said:

I honestly can't see how this would help with public safety though as we already have a firearms marker with the gp To report any issues.

Since these new medical forms, I have heard of a number of people who’ve previously not put anything down and their forms have come back with a variety of conditions, including stress, anxiety and depression. 

I myself had an “acute stress reaction” that I never knew had been recorded as such from about 12-13 years ago, and there was an error on the recording which I challenged and had amended. 

It would seem that many GP’s didn’t have markers or flags on peoples records and notes, as they now have to specifically confirm that one has been added. 

It also seems that people have presented to the GP with issues and the GP clearly hasn’t notified forearms Licencing, perhaps rightly so as I see that work based stress or low level anxiety is absolutely rife, although there doesn’t appear to be any ‘professional discretion’ where the GP only notifies Licencing if they feel the person’s condition is significant and something needs to be done to limit their access to firearms. 

Are these comments "I really can't see how medical issues that could cause a risk to themselves or others that have been previously hidden from the police is a waste of time and money in the application/renewal process"?

I appreciate it's more admin and more cost, but..... really?

A marker on the medical file is a flag that could be missed. A full check is exactly that. Removing the licences from people unsuitable to own guns will only protect the other shooters ability to keep shooting. It may cost us some money, but if it prevents another Plymouth and more scrutiny, then it is worth the cost.

Sorry, I just don't think it makes it harder to 'get guns', unless you have issues that would prevent your personal ownership.

4 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Are these comments "I really can't see how medical issues that could cause a risk to themselves or others that have been previously hidden from the police is a waste of time and money in the application/renewal process"?

I appreciate it's more admin and more cost, but..... really?

A marker on the medical file is a flag that could be missed. A full check is exactly that. Removing the licences from people unsuitable to own guns will only protect the other shooters ability to keep shooting. It may cost us some money, but if it prevents another Plymouth and more scrutiny, then it is worth the cost.

Sorry, I just don't think it makes it harder to 'get guns', unless you have issues that would prevent your personal ownership.

Amen to that, not difficult to comply, even though there is a charge, but all good UNLESS you have ISSUES or a shady past!

my doctor charged £75 in advance then lost the form probly went into file 13 only one of the five doctors who share the practice willing to complete it took five weeks i got my complete application in 26 days before renewal 28 was the cut off for a temp certificate so now my mates got the shot guns a the rifles at rfd for £3 a week who said will see you in a years time because it ran out fhey put it to the back and treat it as a grant on a better note my mate was charged £30 an form done in two days