Pigeons on the rape

old'un

Yes, I thought I saw some have a little nosh the other day, way earlier than last year. It seems to be a no-acorn year round here (and very few beech trees) but plenty of berries.The rape looks strong in general but some areas have suffered Flea Beetle damage and might be vulnerable to attack early on. I keep hoping...

1 hour ago, pigeon controller said:

Called out on the rape today went to have a look and  walked the whole field and lifted about twenty. When I returned home I walked the canal with the dog and spooked about fifty off two holly bushes. Natural  food  wins.

agreed, this time of year the only place I would expect to see a few pigeons would be on acorns, berries, and a bit of nitpicking on some old stubble field but these birds were definitely feeding on the rape, they were coming from a distance and dropping in the field between two oaks, at first I thought they must be on fallen acorns but on reaching the area where the birds were feeding there was no acorns, both trees had very few acorns on them and I could count the acorns on ground on one hand, looking closer at the rape there was signs of damage to the rape, they were definitely feeding on the rape.

I did mention on another thread that we had a lot of Pigeons feeding on some very poor growing o s r , I say feeding but I didn't walk right over to where they were to see if they were on the rape or finding something in the grain stubble where the crop was direct drilled , but I can honestly say that the very last Pigeon I shot about two weeks ago which was then the middle of October was certainly on a rape field , this was when I saw several the previous day and the day I went out the farm had just finished a Winter barley field with the bulk of the Pigeons were on that , we have got a shoot Saturday so I will see what is about then but how the weather have been lately I ain't as keen as I once was to sit about in wet and windy conditions for the odd shot at a Pigeon , I might well be joining the club for fine weather shooters if it don't hurry up and stop raining as we are in for another soaking tonight with gale force winds thrown in just for good measure .  MM