And you wonder why some think that there are issues with the Metropolitan Police and motorists...

enfieldspares

I don’t think retiring at 60 is an ‘early retirement’ also just by a quick look individual pension contributions are just under 12.5 percent which is not a small amount. 

gone are the days you can retire with your full pension at 50 aside from the military and that will likely disappear soon 

Edited by ph5172

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Scully said:

I have always been suspicious of anyone who seeks a position of authority over others, and can only go on my experience, and while I can’t say ‘to the core’, I’m afraid I don’t have a good word to say about any of them. 
I really must write that book! 🙂

22 minutes ago, Scully said:

No, because they have no authority over me; whether the authority they wield over others in their occupation is resented, is a question you would need to ask them. 
The reasons most seek promotion within the occupations you state, is one of money. 
I dare say the reason most join the police is the prospect of an early retirement with a good pension, but in my experience the authority over others that occupation entitles in the interim, is not only relished but often abused. 

Your original statement stated anyone. However are you saying that there should be no one having sway over another whether in their job or on how they act. 

Given your experiences and belief that the police can not be trusted, where do you think the police should be recruited from.

2 hours ago, ph5172 said:

I don’t think retiring at 60 is an ‘early retirement’ also just by a quick look individual pension contributions are just under 12.5 percent which is not a small amount. 

gone are the days you can retire with your full pension at 50 aside from the military and that will likely disappear soon 

Job security and early retirement are the reasons given, when I’ve asked, of those I know. 

1 hour ago, Rem260 said:

Your original statement stated anyone. However are you saying that there should be no one having sway over another whether in their job or on how they act. 

Given your experiences and belief that the police can not be trusted, where do you think the police should be recruited from.

Well ok, anyone then, if it makes you happier, but this is a thread about dodgy coppers isn’t it? 

There are different scales and types of authority throughout society however, some of which can be questioned or ignored, and others which can’t. 
No, what I said was I don’t trust those who seek to have authority over others. 
I haven’t given it any thought to be honest; it’s either the general public or ex military….where else is there? 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

Of course; and none are coppers until they qualify, or pass out.
Perhaps it’s the system which corrupts or a system which attracts a certain type of person. 🤷‍♂️

In order for me to better understand, can you give your experiences of these corrupt police officers and did you report them?

57 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

Thanks for clarifying. 

job security I agree with. ‘Early’ (50ish) retirement seems to have gone a few years ago 

A school friend of my OH’s ( who was ex military ) retired from the police two years ago. He is 54. Perhaps it goes on years of service? 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Quite a few revolve around free masonry, but what exactly is it you’re struggling to understand? 

Your generalisation that the police can not be trusted. You haven't said what it was that these free mason police officers did that was corrupt. Disliking someone does not make them corrupt. I accept there are bad officers in the job but the majority are trying to do their best and are not corrupt. 

2 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

Your generalisation that the police can not be trusted. You haven't said what it was that these free mason police officers did that was corrupt. Disliking someone does not make them corrupt. I accept there are bad officers in the job but the majority are trying to do their best and are not corrupt. 

Ok. I won’t go into detail, but several accounts of drink driving which amounted to nothing, one of which involved a serving copper, and another one relating to firearms charges against the son of a mason. One of driving whilst disqualified. One of criminal damage. 
One of intimidation of me, which consisted of trumped up charges and being threatened with assault ( ‘there’s plenty of dark alleys in this town lad’ 🙂….I was 15 ) by the local Sergeant and a second of being threatened with being thrown off the town bridge by two local coppers….both regarding the same incident, as a minor, regarding a complaint I made about an assault ( not of me ) by the police. My hero of a Dad got that one sorted by confronting the coppers responsible, in the local police station!🙂 

The Sergeant who took me down to the police station ( he wasn’t aware at the time I was a minor, and as a minor I wasn’t aware I wasn’t obliged to go ) tried for two hours to get me to admit a crime for which I wasn’t responsible, and which later on transpired to be concocted, became a beater on one of the same shoots I used to beat on. As an adult many moons ago, I once enquired of him if he still fancied venturing down one of the towns alleys with me one night, as I wasn’t a minor anymore, to which he didn’t respond. I don’t see him that often nowadays, but he quickly looks the other way whenever our paths cross. He’s an old man now, but then again I’m 64. 

I digress. One of criminal damage which was denied by a police officer after initially admitting it to the neighbour involved. The neighbour was told to drop it or there would be ‘consequences.’ 
One of fiddling his fuel allowance. He was a Sergeant at the time, and subsequently sacked….I worked with him for several years following his sacking. He wasn’t a bad bloke really, and I felt quite sorry for him at times as he was working in a factory in his home town and wasn’t well liked. He told me of some of the stunts pulled by serving coppers at the time during the miners strikes when they would be stationed in hotels in the North East, mostly consisting of fiddling expenses, but some considerably worse. He thought it was hilarious! 
He also told me of cases of police confiscating all manner of items of private property which were never seen again, but not necessarily destroyed. 
There are many others of my own first hand experience, both growing up and as an adult, especially during Fair Week. 
There is still a police station in town but rarely manned and usually only then by civilians, but I’m assuming it still goes on because just before lockdown my nephew experienced an example of it when walking home because some lads he’d been seen talking to had decided to do doughnuts in a local car park. 
These lads were former school mates and as a firearms owner he’d decided to leave as soon as one of them started spinning a doughnut. Apparently and unknown to him, they’d been a nuisance for some time previously to him bumping into them, and the police had been called. He had been identified by a local as being present and was almost a mile away, nearly home, when the police stopped him on the street. 
He wasn’t aware the police were on their way to his house nor indeed even looking for him as he had nothing to hide, when a police car pulled up beside him on the kerb, where a window was wound down and he was asked ‘ where you going ****head?’ 
‘Yam’ he replied, and carried on walking, at which point two coppers jumped out of the car, one of which slammed him up against a wall, banging his head and told him ‘no you’re not you clever little ****!’ Fortunately just at this point his Dad pulled up outside his house, having dog sat his dogs while he was at work. It was all sorted on the spot, and established he had nothing to do with the doughnuts, but it has left my nephew with a nasty taste, as they say. 
One of the coppers involved was and still is a shooting man; he is now retired and he often beats with me on a local shoot. We get on okay, but he knows that I know him and his mate roughed up a young lad for no reason, and I get the impression he’s embarrassed about the incident. He once invited me to his ‘little family’ shoot but I declined because I would have then felt obliged to invite him to mine, and that wasn’t going to happen. 
My nephew despises him, and doesn’t hide it, not even in his presence. 
I really really should write that book! 🙂

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

Ok. I won’t go into detail, but several accounts of drink driving which amounted to nothing, one of which involved a serving copper, and another one relating to firearms charges against the son of a mason. One of driving whilst disqualified. One of criminal damage. 
One of intimidation of me, which consisted of trumped up charges and being threatened with assault ( ‘there’s plenty of dark alleys in this town lad’ 🙂….I was 15 ) by the local Sergeant and a second of being threatened with being thrown off the town bridge by two local coppers….both regarding the same incident, as a minor, regarding a complaint I made about an assault ( not of me ) by the police. My hero of a Dad got that one sorted by confronting the coppers responsible, in the local police station!🙂 

The Sergeant who took me down to the police station ( he wasn’t aware at the time I was a minor, and as a minor I wasn’t aware I wasn’t obliged to go ) tried for two hours to get me to admit a crime for which I wasn’t responsible, and which later on transpired to be concocted, became a beater on one of the same shoots I used to beat on. As an adult many moons ago, I once enquired of him if he still fancied venturing down one of the towns alleys with me one night, as I wasn’t a minor anymore, to which he didn’t respond. I don’t see him that often nowadays, but he quickly looks the other way whenever our paths cross. He’s an old man now, but then again I’m 64. 

I digress. One of criminal damage which was denied by a police officer after initially admitting it to the neighbour involved. The neighbour was told to drop it or there would be ‘consequences.’ 
One of fiddling his fuel allowance. He was a Sergeant at the time, and subsequently sacked….I worked with him for several years following his sacking. He wasn’t a bad bloke really, and I felt quite sorry for him at times as he was working in a factory in his home town and wasn’t well liked. He told me of some of the stunts pulled by serving coppers at the time during the miners strikes when they would be stationed in hotels in the North East, mostly consisting of fiddling expenses, but some considerably worse. He thought it was hilarious! 
He also told me of cases of police confiscating all manner of items of private property which were never seen again, but not necessarily destroyed. 
There are many others of my own first hand experience, both growing up and as an adult, especially during Fair Week. 
There is still a police station in town but rarely manned and usually only then by civilians, but I’m assuming it still goes on because just before lockdown my nephew experienced an example of it when walking home because some lads he’d been seen talking to had decided to do doughnuts in a local car park. 
These lads were former school mates and as a firearms owner he’d decided to leave as soon as one of them started spinning a doughnut. Apparently and unknown to him, they’d been a nuisance for some time previously to him bumping into them, and the police had been called. He had been identified by a local as being present and was almost a mile away, nearly home, when the police stopped him on the street. 
He wasn’t aware the police were on their way to his house nor indeed even looking for him as he had nothing to hide, when a police car pulled up beside him on the kerb, where a window was wound down and he was asked ‘ where you going ****head?’ 
‘Yam’ he replied, and carried on walking, at which point two coppers jumped out of the car, one of which slammed him up against a wall, banging his head and told him ‘no you’re not you clever little ****!’ Fortunately just at this point his Dad pulled up outside his house, having dog sat his dogs while he was at work. It was all sorted on the spot, and established he had nothing to do with the doughnuts, but it has left my nephew with a nasty taste, as they say. 
One of the coppers involved was and still is a shooting man; he is now retired and he often beats with me on a local shoot. We get on okay, but he knows that I know him and his mate roughed up a young lad for no reason, and I get the impression he’s embarrassed about the incident. He once invited me to his ‘little family’ shoot but I declined because I would have then felt obliged to invite him to mine, and that wasn’t going to happen. 
My nephew despises him, and doesn’t hide it, not even in his presence. 
I really really should write that book! 🙂

That is quite a history. Thanks for a comprehensive insight. I would imagine most of these experiences are pre 80's and in the age of when people used to say "It was better when we used to have the village bobby on the beat" and a thick ear was how most juvenile offences were dealt with. You hear people of the older generations wishing it would go back to that way. I doubt there are any of those dinosaurs still serving. Those days are long gone and that is not modern policing. I would dare say that most professions could give the same sort of stories that would make those in them now cringe. Especially the military which the public say they want more of in the police.

Edited by Rem260

6 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

That is quite a history. I would imagine most of these experiences are pre 80's and in the age of when people used to say "It was better when we used to have the village bobby on the beat" and a thick ear was how most juvenile offences were dealt with. I doubt there are any of those dinosaurs still serving. Those days are long gone and that is not modern policing. I would dare say that most professions could give the same sort of stories that would make those in them cringe. Especially the military which the public say they want more of in the police.

It’s not even half of it, seriously, and yes, most of those I posted are pre’ 1980’s. The sacked copper took place in the mid’ ‘90’s. The miners strike wasn’t though, and I have many incidences I can relate if not up the present day then pretty close. 
I don’t live in that town anymore, but many of those now retired coppers do, and the surrounding villages. 
The incident with my nephew was from just before lockdown. 
Nothing I see or hear of makes me believe much has changed. 

12 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

Well I must be doing something wrong.

I’ve reached the grand old age of 63, 

Never been harassed by the police, bullied by the police, wrongfully arrested or anything at all to be fair 🤷🏻‍♂️

I take as I find 

All what you have mentioned i have had done to me beat up in cells wrongfully arrested and followed by the police i was getting stopped at least 3 times a month at one point it got so bad i sold my van and bought one in my wifes name and put me on the insurance as the driver  

13 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

All what you have mentioned i have had done to me beat up in cells wrongfully arrested and followed by the police i was getting stopped at least 3 times a month at one point it got so bad i sold my van and bought one in my wifes name and put me on the insurance as the driver  

😀 Oh heck! Never been arrested, but a mate of mine who was beaten up for no apparent reason, was given another hiding by the police ( once in the cells ) who broke it up and then arrested him! 🤷‍♂️

To this day he still doesn’t know what it was all about! 

36 minutes ago, Scully said:

😀 Oh heck! Never been arrested, but a mate of mine who was beaten up for no apparent reason, was given another hiding by the police ( once in the cells ) who broke it up and then arrested him! 🤷‍♂️

To this day he still doesn’t know what it was all about! 

I will give the circumstances behind the incidents remember these was in the seventies when i was a young man 

1    Was in a fight coming out of a  nightclub three of us and three of them turns out two of the three was off duty coppers so it didn't go down well with their mates they hunted us down until they found us they gave me a lumping in the cells locked up for the weekend went to crown court 

2 Me and my wife was out for the evening with a mate and his wife they got into a domestic police was there i was told go away my wife pulled me away and we must have walked i guess about a 1000 yards up the road next thing my arm is up around my back arrested for disturbing the peace locked up again which i beat in  court       after  outside the courtroom he said to me if we was in his main area he would have had me there is a few more which i won't go into i got no trust in the police whatsoever i can give Rem 60 a few truths about coppers if he wants them  

Edited by Rim Fire

On 05/11/2023 at 18:08, Scully said:

It’s not even half of it, seriously, and yes, most of those I posted are pre’ 1980’s. The sacked copper took place in the mid’ ‘90’s. The miners strike wasn’t though, and I have many incidences I can relate if not up the present day then pretty close. 
I don’t live in that town anymore, but many of those now retired coppers do, and the surrounding villages. 
The incident with my nephew was from just before lockdown. 
Nothing I see or hear of makes me believe much has changed. 

I think that most of the most blatant corruption and violence is now in the past, and the number of CCTV cameras and mobile phones may have a lot to do with that - but the police can still be their own worst enemy. 2 Very recent examples . . .

Forklift stolen from a farm, worth £25K. The owner rang the police, who gave him a crime number. That's it. No inquiries. He told them on the phone that his CCTV clearly shows 3 thieves, who didn't even bother to cover their faces, but the police couldn't be bothered to view the footage.

And a couple of days ago, woman driving a large horsebox (private HGV) stopped and told that she didn't have a MOT. The MOT is in fact only 3 weeks old, it should be showing on the police system but isn't. OK, she will have to produce it, not a problem. The police were probably disappointed to find that everything was legal. They searched the vehicle, although they had no reason to suspect anything, this took a long time because there's a lot of vehicle. Whilst this fruitless search was going on 2 other police cars arrived, blocking her escape front and back - did they really think that the horsebox could outrun them? Did they have any reason to think that she would try? And how could she have tried, as they had taken her keys? They then told her that she could go but couldn't continue her journey and must return home, which of course was wrong.