Private Albert Watts

harrycatcat1

Appropriately 20+ years ago I used to meet an old fella called Albert when we walked our dogs most days.  I knew he was in the war etc but he wouldn't say too much really. When folks say someone is a hero doing something mundane then when I think what Albert did, he really was a hero and I feel privileged to have known him. I didn't get to know his story after his death.

I know it's a long read but it is coming up to Remembrance day.

https://www.pegasusarchive.org/normandy/albert_watts.htm

A generation who gave all, my Mum and Dad's Neighbour was a little 5 foot 5 inch grumpy old man called Jimmy, he liked my Dad because he had been in the army and loved it when i joined up (he used to pull out a hip flask when he saw me in the garden, always a decent whiskey in it lol) we knew he had been a machine gunner Sgt in the war, but when he died his wife showed us some of his framed certificates he kept in the cupboard, mentioned in dispatches (oak leaf) and numerous awards for top machine gunner section  .He was without doubt one very tough cookie, but never mentioned it. He did ask if the knocking shop in Tidworth was still behind the Ram pub when i was posted there lol.

Another gent who i looked after when i did some care work was a Gunner, he liked the banter between us because i was a Sapper, he did the battle of Salerno, went across the alps in the snow with guns and ammunition strapped to mules and donkeys and ended up at the end of the war near Poland, He said he was forever thankful to the Navy for the shelling that saved them on land from the germans at Salerno, i was holding Cyril's hand when he died at 97 of colon cancer.

Never forget their sacrifice.

15 hours ago, welsh1 said:

A generation who gave all, my Mum and Dad's Neighbour was a little 5 foot 5 inch grumpy old man called Jimmy, he liked my Dad because he had been in the army and loved it when i joined up (he used to pull out a hip flask when he saw me in the garden, always a decent whiskey in it lol) we knew he had been a machine gunner Sgt in the war, but when he died his wife showed us some of his framed certificates he kept in the cupboard, mentioned in dispatches (oak leaf) and numerous awards for top machine gunner section  .He was without doubt one very tough cookie, but never mentioned it. He did ask if the knocking shop in Tidworth was still behind the Ram pub when i was posted there lol.

Another gent who i looked after when i did some care work was a Gunner, he liked the banter between us because i was a Sapper, he did the battle of Salerno, went across the alps in the snow with guns and ammunition strapped to mules and donkeys and ended up at the end of the war near Poland, He said he was forever thankful to the Navy for the shelling that saved them on land from the germans at Salerno, i was holding Cyril's hand when he died at 97 of colon cancer.

Sadly, everything they gave their all to achieve for us has been given away?

Progress?

Never forget!

Edited by old man

21 hours ago, welsh1 said:

Many no longer care, sadly.

6 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

What a fascinating account, hell knows, I don't think I could of done it.

Very humbling!

Thank you harry for taking time to post.

I definitely couldn't do some of the stuff Albert did. He said he once jumped out of a plane, parachuting into waist high snow ❄️ then had to fight Germans with his platoon.

Sometimes if I don't want to do something I often think "what would Albert tell me to do?" He used to say in his southern accent "just ******* get on and do it !!!"

ps he was only about 5' 7" but carried toughness.