college debate on a maximum age limit for driving

flash

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my group at college are currently doing a debate on the maximum age limit for driving, just wondering what ur views are on this topic?

i personaly believe there should be, or at least have to retake there test.

cheers

flash

bet you don't say that when you'r over 65.

most accidents on the road are cause by inexperienced drivers driving cars they can,t handle.

the collegees should stick to proper lessons. :good:

Given the amount the Highway Code changes I would not be upset to see 'refresher' testing put in place. And not just for the elderly either. The road is full of people with no consideration for other road users which I feel is caused by a sheer ignorance of the law. I agree that some elderly people do have problems driving but as Peter mentions, itsthe young inexperienced drivers that 'think' they know better who cause most of the problems.

my group at college are currently doing a debate on the maximum age limit for driving, just wondering what ur views are on this topic?

cheers

flash

most accidents on the road are cause by inexperienced drivers driving cars they can,t handle.

the collegees should stick to proper lessons. :good:

speaking as a very experienced , proffesional driver.

i've found that young inexperienced drivers are a far greater menace to themselves and other road users, although i do agree that some older drivers shouldn't be driving.

as a driver for a local authority i have to be re tested every three years on.

forklift

telehandler

minibus

hgv

imho , we should all retake a driving test every 5 years or so , just to keep us in the habit of driving correctly.

cheers

flash

the collegees should stick to proper lessons. :lol:

If all the oldies are that great at driving then they will breeze a re-test wont they ?

When I see dangerous stuff on the road it's normally some old duffer with a flat cap who is hunched over and is looking as much through the steering wheel as over it ! :good:

Definatly should be a test of some sort,but should be targeted to bad driving ie over 65 and have two or three accidents in a year there should be a compulsory test to keep your license.

Monetary wise,i would think insurance companys pay out more for oap crashes than young drivers.If you think about all the dings that happen in supermarket car parks etc.I once sat and watched an old lady hit 3 cars while trying to pull out of a parking space to then drive off oblivious that she had done anything!!

I used to drive 60,000 mile a year and seen more bad driving than most and i would say that old poeple cause more problems than young ones and there are a lot of really poor woman drivers regardless of their age.

cheers

flash

the collegees should stick to proper lessons. :lol:

If all the oldies are that great at driving then they will breeze a re-test wont they ?

When I see dangerous stuff on the road it's normally some old duffer with a flat cap who is hunched over and is looking as much through the steeling wheel as over it ! :good:

WHY YOU L V, Never thought you would recognise me when I tried to cut you up!!!.... DAMM WHIPPERSNAPER>! YOU> :lol::lol::lol: AND DO TELL WHATS A STEELING WHEEL???.

When I see dangerous stuff on the road it's normally some old duffer with a flat cap who is hunched over and is looking as much through the steeling wheel as over it ! :good:

No, that's LB with a hangover and a sore shoulder from too much shooting, at Monday Madness. :lol:

When I see dangerous stuff on the road it's normally some old duffer with a flat cap who is hunched over and is looking as much through the steering wheel as over it ! :good:

WHY YOU L V, Never thought you would recognise me when I tried to cut you up!!!.... DAMM WHIPPERSNAPER>! YOU> :lol::lol::lol: AND DO TELL WHATS A STEELING WHEEL???.

BM1, do you still have the guy out the front with the red flag ? :lol:

No, that's LB with a hangover and a sore shoulder from too much shooting, at Monday Madness. :lol:

I didnt say a cross-dressing old duffer !! :lol:

Monetary wise,i would think insurance companys pay out more for oap crashes than young drivers.If you think about all the dings that happen in supermarket car parks etc.I once sat and watched an old lady hit 3 cars while trying to pull out of a parking space to then drive off oblivious that she had done anything!!

the old lady having a ding on a carpark will cost a few hundred quid to repair.

the 17yr old in his dads fastback impacting several other cars at 70 mph will be far more costly.

insurance companies charge young drivers hundreds or even thousands of pounds extra for a good reason , it's younger drivers that cause costly(speed related) accidents :good:

I think that once your 65 years old you should take a retest. But saying that they always complain about not getting enough pension money but if they are running a car they must be doing alrite especially with the petrol prices today and they get free public transport why would they need a car.

And if you are under the age of 22 years old and going to learn to drive I think they should learn for a year and sit a much tougher test. Even though I past my test after 12 lessons and only getting 2 minors. Everyone thinks the test is hard but I can do it blind folded and still pass its so easy.

for what i can see its the young ones that need to take a test after a certain time, i drive on the roads every day and its the young ones to watch.with there radios blasting out.

you mean like the stupid little tart tailgateing another car in the outside lane of the m62 eastbound in a queue. eating the remnants of a takeaway, while the traffic was flowing past on the centre lane. junction 20. m62.

TODAY AT 1.45 PM.

or the idiots in their bmw's with a kid in the back and that infernal child on board sticker obstructing the rear window,

hurtling down the roads with a mobile glued to their lugholes.

yes I think retesting should be compulsary at 25 yo

I think a theory and health check for drivers every 5 years would be a good idea, testing would be a bit unfair, but perhaps limit the basic theory test to 3 attempts, with a suspension period maybe? ( the theory is very basic and shouldnt pose a prob to people with more than 1 brain cell!) that would force people to keep up to date!

I would be more inclined to agree that youngsters tend to have the more serious incidents, i would like to see a graduated license system for new drivers, pass the test as it is now, and gain a b license (restricting hp and modifications), and 12 months down the line they should be forced to retrain and complete a ROSPA or IAM type driving course ( course not test!), on completion they can drive any size car etc and gain an A class license!

Just a few ideas?