Lpg bottle

snow white

Good morning all.

The wife and myself life in a static caravan have done for the last 19 years.

I always change the gas bottle when there empty I was outside last week and looked at the tap on top of bottles and thought how can the wife turn them on if anything happens to me I tried a socket on the top but to big or to small was wondering if anyone on here had the same problem.

All help would be appreciated thank you for looking.tony

a friend of mine....is a keen cook and uses the big gas bottles for his cooker....now that was fine until they registered/applied to become carers for problem children/broken homes etc..........they had to jump thro so many hoops ....had to have special gaurds for the wood burner ....all the electrics had to have certificates and also the gas bottles supply had to have a quick isolator in the kitchen (on/off thingy)

i aint got a clue what it was but they are out there for that purpose you speak of...may be speak to age uk ??......or your local council who handle children placements ..??......or the caravan club ?

Edited by ditchman

what about one of those bottle/jar top clamps made for people with arthritis, weak wrists, they look a bit like a jubilee clip with a handle, bit like these...https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2332490.m570.l1313&_nkw=Jar+Opener+and+Bottle+Opener+for+Weak+Hands&_sacat=0

you must have been reading my mind.....:yes:

Just a thought; you can get automatic changeover valves that allow two cylinders to be attached.  When the first is empty, it automatically changes over and a pointer or flag indicates that this has happened. 

We used to rent a sporting lodge in Scotland where this was used.  The actual cylinders (these were about 5 feet tall) weigh a ton and need a strong person to change them (as I'm sure you are aware!)

Johnfromuk and ph5172 

We have change over valves and some times if we are out the delivery lads do put them on but if you leave them both open they don’t completely empty by shutting one off we get 10 days extra out of each bottle.

that’s a big savings over the year we found this out 19 years ago I know we have the inconvenience of just nipping out to shut the one down then just turn new one on.

Just now, snow white said:

Johnfromuk and ph5172 

We have change over valves and some times if we are out the delivery lads do put them on but if you leave them both open they don’t completely empty by shutting one off we get 10 days extra out of each bottle.

that’s a big savings over the year we found this out 19 years ago I know we have the inconvenience of just nipping out to shut the one down then just turn new one on.

OK, I can't remember the details of how the system was 'managed' as it's a long while ago and we were only there for a week a year.

1 hour ago, snow white said:

Johnfromuk and ph5172 

That’s a top tip. We now have a changeover valve running 2 bottles with 2 spare. So will have to shut one off and use the last of the gas.