Light 10 bore loads

Wondering if anyone has some 10 bore low pressure fibre 3-1/2 or 2-7/8 recipes, approx 1-1/4, 1-3/8 , 1-1/2 oz. Cheddite cases, I have or can get, Longshot, Bluedot, Herco, Greendot, or Hodgdon 800x. both Lead and Bismuth. Looked at Parkers website [cheers Bernard] but wondered if there was some nice loads with the PW loaders

cheers IG

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Wondering if anyone has some 10 bore low pressure fibre 3-1/2 or 2-7/8 recipes, approx 1-1/4, 1-3/8 , 1-1/2 oz. Cheddite cases, I have or can get, Longshot, Bluedot, Herco, Greendot, or Hodgdon 800x. both Lead and Bismuth. Looked at Parkers website [cheers Bernard] but wondered if there was some nice loads with the PW loaders

cheers IG

Pm your email and I will see what I have in Alan Myers old catalogues and other stuff I have.

On 08/12/2023 at 15:39, islandgun said:

cheers IG

ten bore eley data.jpg

On 08/12/2023 at 19:40, islandgun said:

Cheers Mat

Edited by bishop

3 hours ago, bishop said:

ten bore eley data.jpg

Thanks Mat and Bishop, Im having a good look at the loads supplied so far,

Given the variable wads in old recipes many out of production. At the moment Im thinking a fibre shotcup with a nitro card might be the way to go, If 10g nitro cards become available again. 

I done a few  short BP loads a while back when i owned that Wales  hammer 10. Pity it had an off centre pin etc but none the less the BP  1 1/4 oz 1 5/8 rounds i made patterned well at 30 yards even with the gun being cylinder almost.Not to mention the rather splendid clouds and aroma drifting around  in the riverside mists

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, hawkfanz said:

afew loads from hercules load book.

2023-12-27_192546.jpg

Thanks for that, liking the federal 1-5/8, SP 10 although 50grns of blue dot seems a bit loud😉

On 10/12/2023 at 13:32, bishop said:

I done a few  short BP loads a while back when i owned that Wales  hammer 10. Pity it had an off centre pin etc but none the less the BP  1 1/4 oz 1 5/8 rounds i made patterned well at 30 yards even with the gun being cylinder almost.Not to mention the rather splendid clouds and aroma drifting around  in the riverside mists

Would you have any recipes ? Im not sure my life will be complete without some splendid clouds and aroma drifting over the damp Hebridean shores 

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Thanks for that, liking the federal 1-5/8, SP 10 although 50grns of blue dot seems a bit loud😉

Would you have any recipes ? Im not sure my life will be complete without some splendid clouds and aroma drifting over the damp Hebridean shores 

Remember for a Blackpowder load you can use the square load IE Use the same volumetric shot measure to measure the same volume of  BP just use an 1/2 or 1/4 fibre wad and card  ,  Blackpowder is a lot more forgiving than a nitro load.

Edited by Andy H

9 hours ago, Andy H said:

Remember for a Blackpowder load you can use the square load IE Use the same volumetric shot measure to measure the same volume of  BP just use an 1/2 or 1/4 fibre wad and card  ,  Blackpowder is a lot more forgiving than a nitro load.

Hm, I remember a hand loading video on you tube, will look that up, also saw yesterday that PB is considered much more dangerous than NP and needs different storage and checks etc

27 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

BP is wonderful stuff. You need two licenses. The first to acquire and keep from Police Scotland and one to transport from HSE. The load I have in my BP Muzzle loading book is 4 1/2 drams of black powder and 1 1/2 ozs of lead for ten bore.

May also need to declare it to the captain of the ferry when he travels back home from collecting it as it’s classed as hazardous cargo 🤔

15 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

May also need to declare it to the captain of the ferry when he travels back home from collecting it as it’s classed as hazardous cargo 🤔

You could well be right, in fact I would put money on it

45 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

BP is wonderful stuff. You need two licenses. The first to acquire and keep from Police Scotland and one to transport from HSE. The load I have in my BP Muzzle loading book is 4 1/2 drams of black powder and 1 1/2 ozs of lead for ten bore.

Cheers Dave

8 hours ago, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Black powder does come with extra precautions, separate licence and also now a pain to source . Upside is huge cloud of smoke and the smell😶

👍

18 hours ago, Andy H said:

Cheers will look into it

19 minutes ago, islandgun said:

You could well be right, in fact I would put money on it

Cheers Dave

👍

Cheers will look into it

If you go the BP route one of these https://www.henrykrank.com/lee-adjustable-shot-dipper-90973/  will be handy use for both shot and powder and it's only £3.60.

Edited by Andy H