Colman's Mustard

SuperGoose75

The very best English mustard hands down. However my latest jar that is not that long opened,has an off taste. This is not the first time that I have encountered this with Colman's as I it has happened before. Anyone have a similar experience with Colman's..? I have take a leaf out of ditchman's book and bought the powdered variety instead for the compulsory post Christmas dinner ''cold cut's''.

Screenshot_20231222_131725_Gallery.jpg

The war in Ukraine is the cause! Most mustard in Europe is from Ukraine (or also from Canada). Colman's now is merely part of some large food manufacturing corporate conglomerate trading on the myth of it being still a private family company. So not surprising the quality may have been reduced to increase profits. Today's Colman's is no more made in Norwich than is green cheese made on the moon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colman's

Edited by enfieldspares

there was great upheavel at colmans when it closed down......all its lines (see wiki) moved elswhere and toEU to be made/blended

but Colmans mustard still has a milling plant in Norfolk...where the mustard is made....the mustard seed is all sorced within east anglia

if you ate colmans without flour in it ...it would blow yer head off ////so they cut it back/blend it with flour....when they sell it in the wet...once opened it will deteroiate it will oxidise.....so using the powder will be best...it will be fresh every time........try putting a spot of malt vinegar in it 

I would use the Colmans in the tube. I don’t know if you can still get it. 

The jar stuff - we always do the mustard challenge, the kids have to take a big sniff from the jar, when their eyes don’t water or they don’t scrunch uk their nose I know it’s probably time for a fresh jar. 

7 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

I would use the Colmans in the tube. I don’t know if you can still get it. 

The jar stuff - we always do the mustard challenge, the kids have to take a big sniff from the jar, when their eyes don’t water or they don’t scrunch uk their nose I know it’s probably time for a fresh jar. 

you can get a squeezy jar...same thing ?

On 22/12/2023 at 13:24, SuperGoose75 said:

The very best English mustard hands down. However my latest jar that is not that long opened,has an off taste. This is not the first time that I have encountered this with Colman's as I it has happened before. Anyone have a similar experience with Colman's..? I have take a leaf out of ditchman's book and bought the powdered variety instead for the compulsory post Christmas dinner ''cold cut's''.

Screenshot_20231222_131725_Gallery.jpg

I have noticed that too, funny odd taste after a while, I might have to try the dry👍

3 hours ago, old'un said:

have you opened all your presents? And what you got for dinner?

i will have a bit of bubble&squeak later and a couple of angels on horse back...........no presents this year...santa says i havt been good enough

all good here........another year passing..

On 22/12/2023 at 13:32, enfieldspares said:

The war in Ukraine is the cause! Most mustard in Europe is from Ukraine (or also from Canada). Colman's now is merely part of some large food manufacturing corporate conglomerate trading on the myth of it being still a private family company. So not surprising the quality may have been reduced to increase profits. Today's Colman's is no more made in Norwich than is green cheese made on the moon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colman's

that infomation is wrong.........view this ......

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/business/20623438.hi-tech-mustard-mill-reaching-new-customers-around-world/

my son-in-law was the food scientist for Colmans Norwich

the mustard for Colmans is still "milled" in Norfolk...........it is then sent to Burton-on-trent to be processed.......

Edited by ditchman

5 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Thank you. I am always happy to be better informed. And it shows the perils of trusting Wikipedia!

it was the result of a late deal i believe........Unilever wanted the brand name and logo.....but the powers that be and Norwich city council   (the lord leutenant of norfolk was Sir Timothy Colman)...said that they could not use the iconic label which had the words on it ..."made in Norwich"...if the product was not made in Norwich unless it was made in Norwich...so they came to an agreement that they would open a milling plant in Easton which to all intents and purposes is now part of Norwich....thus satisifing the requirments of the retention of the rights of the Label/logo

i have been caught so many times on quoting from "trusted sorces".....its not that wiki wants to decieve you....its the lack of research by wiki and not following up on live stories...........

:good:

Edited by ditchman